Air Con

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
We are thinking about having the roof air con unit added to our van. Ace do fit this unit as std and we have been told ours has all the bits ready for it.

Does anyone have the roof aircon fitted? is it any good and how quiet are the new units?

Thanks

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
We have the dometic unit on the Crusader, have not really had a chance to test its efficiency in summer conditions, it is surprisingly quiet, and it also heats as well to about 18C. There was a thread a while back in here were I think an air conditioning engineer said the were not a good idea to small for area to be cooled, do a search and you may find it.

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Steve

We pitched next to a van with a roof air con unit in France last summer Temp 20C plus at night. The noise from this unit nearly got me life inside I could have murdered the B that left it running all night and it was not just me that found it a problem. You will never gess which country the van came from all I will say they had the **** knocked out of them in 45

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Frankly if its noisy and its on at night he needed a good kicking.

We have been told the latest generation are quieter, if this is not true, we will look at the internal system. Its just our van is ready for the dometic and the internal one will need a lot more work.

I might take a trip down the dealers and get them to run one up for me.

Thanks guys

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We use a Gree portable one inside the van (it heats as well).

You can get similar ones from D I Y stores for a lot less money than the fitted ones.

Ours is not an evaporation type and is really compact and cool if you point it at yourself!!

We were on a rally in Spain when one couple moved from next to a large German caravan to get away from the air con noise only to have a new rallier arrive who parked next to them with a van fitted with the same unit

Happy Camping !!!!

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Steve,

Can recommend the Dometic set up particularly as it weighs less than 30 kgs and shouldn't make a jot of difference to your handling.

What people forget is that principle of aircon and that it will translate into noise particular if the unit is on a relatively flimsy structure like caravan roof.

The other option is an evaporating fan which does cool the air and does allow a good nights sleep but it isn't aircon in its truest sense more a good con which is able to direct its output ours cost around

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had the C A K tanks Travel Cool for a few years but that is very noisy from the fan inside the caravan.

I fitted an extra resistor to give slower fan speed options but it did cool the van down well.

You have to pump water up to roof level and that can involve leaks over the roof if pipes get clogged etc.

Aug 23, 2005
Visit site
We have the dometic unit on the Crusader, have not really had a chance to test its efficiency in summer conditions, it is surprisingly quiet, and it also heats as well to about 18C. There was a thread a while back in here were I think an air conditioning engineer said the were not a good idea to small for area to be cooled, do a search and you may find it.
Hi, what model is it that you have, thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts