Air conditioning

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
A couple of questions.

Would anyone please be able to advise if a main dealer has to fit an air conditioning unit? if not, where do I get it done?

Where do I buy an air conditioning unit from?

Please could anyone help me?

Thanks in anticipation

Lolly x

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
For Electrolux units try www.obrienscamping.co.uk/air_conditioners.htm

Or if you don't fancy cutting a hole in your roof try www.trumauk.com/products/air-conditioning/frostair-1700

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
All the Electrolux units specify a roof cut-out of 400x400, so I'd imagine they would fit straight into an omnivent opening. I'm not sure of the electrics but I'm fairly certain you'd need to get a mains supply in the order of 5 amps to the unit.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Lolly

I will fit it for you but you will need to contact bailey with the serial number of the van and get the roof plans. This will confirm the strength of the roof and the wire path (they build in a special trunking for this).

All the dealer needs to do is provide a socket in the right position. the rest is a DIY fitting job.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For Electrolux read Dometic.

I installed a Dometic B2200 on my caravan this weekend, it just dropped in, in place of a 400 x 400 Remis roof light.

Very straight forward job the most difficult part was getting it into position on the roof, 2 man job.

I installed a separate MCB to connect it to.

Best price and delivery was as recommended above, O'Brien's Camping, excellent service.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For Electrolux read Dometic.

I installed a Dometic B2200 on my caravan this weekend, it just dropped in, in place of a 400 x 400 Remis roof light.

Very straight forward job the most difficult part was getting it into position on the roof, 2 man job.

I installed a separate MCB to connect it to.

Best price and delivery was as recommended above, O'Brien's Camping, excellent service.
For the B2200 you also need to run a 12vdc feed for the built in lights, there are 4, each comprising 20 LEDs.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
For the B2200 you also need to run a 12vdc feed for the built in lights, there are 4, each comprising 20 LEDs.
Thanks Rod. Just looked at the updated units. Thankfully a 12v supply is an easy thing to add.

Steve

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Lolly

I will fit it for you but you will need to contact bailey with the serial number of the van and get the roof plans. This will confirm the strength of the roof and the wire path (they build in a special trunking for this).

All the dealer needs to do is provide a socket in the right position. the rest is a DIY fitting job.
Thank you Steve, will contact Bailey when I get the van

Lolly x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Lolly,

Before jumping and spending quite a lot of money on a fixed unit, consider using mobile one, then you can also use it home as well.

There are self contained units, which would need to couples to the outside with a 100mm diameter duct, or there are some split units that have the external condensing coil connected by an umbilical chord.

Disadvantages of the dometic/electrolux unit are the addition heavy mass high up in the caravan. This will have an adverse effect of stability when towing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Do not go for a cheap B&Q type portable unit, I've been there, done that. They are noisey, heavy and take up a lot of space.

If you have a great concern regarding weight on the roof then go for the Dometic floor mounted unit, this does, however, take up under seat/bed locker space and hiding the ducting can be a problem.

My caravan has a "walk on" roof with roof bars designed to carry 50 Kg so a 37 Kg? unit isn't a problem.

I expect that you have a great deal of experience with roof mounted air-con. units, John L.

May 31, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

When I got my van s/h (it's 2002) it had an Electrolux A/C unit already fitted, but the air it chucks out isn't exactly cold... do these units need to be re-gassed periodically like car a/c, if so, how much is it likely to cost and who does them ?

Thanks

George

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
George, the air should be cold if you are operating it correctly.

Like all air con. it could need re-gassing.

Which model is it?

How many BTUs'?

What size caravan?

Are the filters clean?

Are the drain tubes clear......do you get condensate running off the roof?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
George, the air should be cold if you are operating it correctly.

Like all air con. it could need re-gassing.

Which model is it?

How many BTUs'?

What size caravan?

Are the filters clean?

Are the drain tubes clear......do you get condensate running off the roof?
Re. re-gassing.

It would probably be best to get the Dometic engineer out.

www.dometic.cm/servicenetwork

For help.

Tel. 01582 494111

E-mail info@dometic.co.uk

May 31, 2007
Visit site
Hi Rod,

Can't remember the exact model is an Electolux Blizzard (9200 maybe) it was an original factory fitted option, caravan is a Sterling Trekker (6 berth twin axle). Yes loads of water on rook when used. If by filters, you mean the grey course sponge things behind the grils, then one is missing the other looks ok.

It does cool the van, eventually, but it has to be on for hours and it only ends up slightly cooler, not cold, like I think it should (well not cold like my car gets).

George

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are getting condensate on the roof then it is working.

Although you say that it was factory fitted I would still look up the model number on the web and check that it is "man enough" for the job.

Yours is a large caravan and would need one of the more powerful models to keep the van cool.

Do you hear the compressor stop when your selected temperature is reached? or is it constantly running, attempting to cool the large volume of air within the van?

May 31, 2007
Visit site
Ok Rod thanks, I will try and remember to look at he model number next time I'm at van (Friday). I've not really used it that often, would have been great in Italy last year, but we only had a 3amp*!! hook-up and it tripped it as soon as I switched it on, so I don't really know whether it ever swithced itself on and off.

We only tried it to see if it worked, closed all windows and blinds, switched it on and went out for an hour or two. Van was cooler when we got back, but by no means cold.

[*most of the site had been upgraded to 6amps, but my cable wouldn't reach the nearest point and we couldn't be bothered moving]

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
George,

I know what you mean about Italy, you were lucky to get 3 amps as most I've stayed at only provide 2 amps.

Since this revelation on my first trip there I take my Honda 2.0i generator!

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
I had the Swift dealer fit my Blizzard 1100 two seasons ago. The lightest in the range and very effective. If you get one the best method on sunny days is to close the blinds and leave it on. In the heat of 2006 when it hit 37c coming back to the van was like walking through the frozen section at the supermarket. Not much use for it in 2007 so far though.

Changing my van next month so if you are still interested in getting one pop a reply up and I will give you a contact number. New van comes with one as standard.

I have all the brochures and instructions for installing. Trickiest bit is running the 240 supply to the unit. Wouldn't pay a dealer to fit it again though is it is real easy going by the instructions.

Apr 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi Lolly

I had the Truma Sapphire unit fitted by Truma at the factory in Derby. Very different to the Dometic roof mounted units. It is a sealed unit that cools via new ducting - similar to the hot air ducting. It is fitted under seats / beds over the axle, the best place for 30kg of kit IMHO.

It is the most fantastic piece of kit, fantastic cooling ability, low current draw (designed to operate off low amp hookups) and in night mode - no louder than a desk fan.

Cheers

Stu

G

I think the main issue is weight, and the start up current drain. The lightest I have seen is 20 kg, which can be significant in most of the modern tourers. The start up current is 15 amps, ok, it only lasts a few milliseconds, but it will still trip most campsites. Maybe it is possible to start it using the battery and an inverter and then switch to the site power because the normal load is a more respectable 2-3 amps.

Yes, having experienced the very high heat of the Med I would love to have one, but I am fighting loading weight as it is.

These may be more suited to motorhomes.

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
I think the main issue is weight, and the start up current drain. The lightest I have seen is 20 kg, which can be significant in most of the modern tourers. The start up current is 15 amps, ok, it only lasts a few milliseconds, but it will still trip most campsites. Maybe it is possible to start it using the battery and an inverter and then switch to the site power because the normal load is a more respectable 2-3 amps.

Yes, having experienced the very high heat of the Med I would love to have one, but I am fighting loading weight as it is.

These may be more suited to motorhomes.
"15 amp startup...few milliseconds...trips most campsites.."

I have never tripped a site with my unit. I think you need to experience one of these firsthand before you make such bold statements about tripping most sites.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts