Air leaking from tyre

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have a very slow leak from one of the tyres on our twin axle. It takes about 2 or more weeks to drop from about 49psi to 44psi. Not sure if it has a faulty valve or not as cannot see anything amiss with the tyre when rotating it. Putting a bit of saliva on the valve shows nothing. Caravan is 3 1/2 years old with tyres about same age.
I was thinking of taking the wheel and the spare wheel to a fitter and asking them to check for leaks on the wheel. If nothing comes up on the road wheel then asking them to swap over the tyres so that the spare tyre is now on the alloy rim.
Not sure if this is a good idea as I do not have a torque wrench when refitting the wheel on the caravan.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Could be a bit of corrosion on the rim?
If it was me, with no access to a torque wrench, I’d be trying a tyre on drive sort of company and booking it in as a puncture.

Kev

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
If you do have a tyre change,remember to re-torque the wheel after about 35 miles or so.
Maybe worth investing in a torque wrench?.
Had a tyre changed on mine,checked the torque after 40 miles,then again when we got to our destination(a further 70 miles).
👍

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 9, 2021
Visit site
Not sure if this is a good idea as I do not have a torque wrench when refitting the wheel on the caravan.
If your hands do not remember the tightening torque without a torque wrench and you don’t want to do the same with puncture on the road, I can suggest. Raise the wheel with a jack, substitute a suitable basin under the wheel, so that the liquid (water, or preferably soapy water) poured into the basin captures the lower part of the rim. we are waiting for rest and if there will be, then air bubbles. continue until we turn the whole wheel. If the bubbles were at the connection with the rim, lower the wheel and coat with sealant. after that we pump up and check.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Very slow punctures can be a real pain. I have had the wheel put in a tank, but the leak is so small it does not show.

It might be worth having them mark the location of the tyre on the rim, remove it, clean everything up, renew the valve, and replace. It might cure the problem.

The purpose of marking the tyre is to save re-balancing,

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Very slow punctures can be a real pain. I have had the wheel put in a tank, but the leak is so small it does not show.

It might be worth having them mark the location of the tyre on the rim, remove it, clean everything up, renew the valve, and replace. It might cure the problem.

The purpose of marking the tyre is to save re-balancing,

John
On Saturday drove from Poole to Worcester and pressure remained constant at 49psi after inflating the tyre. I will probably try dipping the wheel in water to see if there is a leak around the rim.

Reactions: EW1999

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If it has TyrePal external sensors, try changing the in-sensor cap seal, there should be spares in the kit, the smaller ones.

If not fitted with these, change to a "proper" metal valve cap, that ought to seal well.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Most likely cause is that a bit of fine grit has weedled its way under the tyre rim. Enough for minute amounts of are to seep away but not make a significant rate of drop.
Take it to a tyre place and ask them to reseat it - they will probably fit a new valve as well.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Most likely cause is that a bit of fine grit has weedled its way under the tyre rim. Enough for minute amounts of are to seep away but not make a significant rate of drop.
Take it to a tyre place and ask them to reseat it - they will probably fit a new valve as well.

are?? - no, air!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If it is a slow puncture then immersing the entire wheel in water will show where the leak is. A leak round the rim should also show up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts