Al-ko ATC System

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi James

I've had it two years and can't say I've ever felt it activate. I suspect any activation is quite subtle. Once after a long journey I noticed the brake hubs were luke warm. Had it checked and assured no problem with the brakes and the ATC was all in order.Probably the ATC doing its job?

A bit like a match maybe? You only know it works when you strike it!

Clearly it's a well thought out extra safety device so I've no doubt it's good and effective.

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I don't have the AlKo ATC but the LEAS system which works on the same principle and can say that it's uncanny. On a wide open space I tried to deliberately get the caravan into a snake by keeping the noseweight down to zero and making heavy see-sawing movements with the steering wheel while driving in a straight line, but it simply won't be beaten.

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
I have it fitted to my S7 Burgundy and am very pleased with it. To be honest its not that you notice it working, it is quite subtle. It responds to signals generated by an inbalance in wheel speeds when as 'snake' is sensed at a predetermined level. The unit responds by applying the brakes to correct it.

A very nice piece of kit that I would heartily recommend.

Dave.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
It senses a snake by an accelerometer, not by comparing wheel speeds. The device can sometimes be felt working when leaving a roundabout, especially if road camber changes - the left+right change of direction mimics a sway. You notice a slight hesitation as the van brakes come on for an instant.

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
If you think it comes on without you noticing or is very subtle then you havent activated it. The ATC on my S7 Bretagne has deployed twice due to sudden camber changes in the "A" road I was on. Both times the van brakes came on very hard & the whole outfit slowed down for an instant. It shook me up a bit I can say. Only lasted a split second though then everything went back to normal.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes i agree but if the unit slows significantly then the lights should illuminate for a short time, you could end up with some one driving into the rear of the van, Just like slowing down for the change in speed limits and drivers dont dab the brakes as a warning to whoever is behind. Just a thought Bazz.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
glenn

if the brakes are coming on hard, then i would be concerned about damage to the towbar fixings. are you sure your brakes are correctly adjusted?

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Yes i agree but if the unit slows significantly then the lights should illuminate for a short time, you could end up with some one driving into the rear of the van, Just like slowing down for the change in speed limits and drivers dont dab the brakes as a warning to whoever is behind. Just a thought Bazz.
HI baz the brake lights will onnly work of the tow cars lights but see wot you mean about your system suddenly slowing you down so i am not to sure but thought i would have go at question

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
With the LEAS system which I have on my caravan, the brakes are set to apply at 10% of their full performance when the system deploys. I cannot imagine that the AlKo ATC is any different as the principle is the same.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Whilst I agree it would be desirable that the van's brake lights would come on it should be realised that the ATC does not brake "hard"; it's in no way like jamming on a vehicles brakes more akin to a light checking action.

The current statement on the Al-Ko brochure is:

"The ATC brakes the caravan softly".

In a reprint from Which Caravan Awards Supplement December 2007 that Al-Ko handed out at an NEC it states:

"- the caravans brakes are gradually applied until the oscillation stops, probably without the driver being aware".

So we are dealing with only the caravans brakes being partially applied not the whole unit being braked heavily.

As I said it would be desirable if even this applied the brake lights however the precursor of the van starting to sway ought to adequately warn any vehicle following too close?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
An interesting excerpt from the Bailey Senator handbook reads if the ATC fails to operate correctly(green light not on) then continue the with the grey lead unplugged

No mention of what to do when 13 pin socket/plug is fitted as on all new vans!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts