al-ko chassis damage at servic

Sep 12, 2005
Visit site
I have just put my bailey oaklahoma in for its first service, the company doing the service have informed me that there is damage to the damper compensator on the handbrake assembly. They say that it is caused by winding the front end of the caravan down onto the jockey wheel when finding your level, I was wondering if anyone else had heard of this problem?

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
I would forward this onto Bailey and ask them why the handbook does not warn of this. I cannot see how a normal function of the van could cause damage as it would be down to poor design. Also copy ALKO UK on the mail.

Let us know the answers as I have a carolina with the same chassie

Steve

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Andrew, yes i have heard of this in the past, if its the same fault that is ?.

a friend of ours had to change the actuater bar for the handbrake after he had lowered the front of the van so low that the jockey wheel went up inside the a frame and bent the actuater. Its not a fault with the van or a design problem its just that on some pitches when your front is on the upward slope (which is not recomended anyway due to the overrun on the handbrake)you may have to drop the front end so much that the jockey wheel will bend the handbrake. It is unfortunately an expensive user error thay one must learn from.

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site

a friend of ours had to change the actuater bar for the handbrake after he had lowered the front of the van so low that the jockey wheel went up inside the a frame and bent the actuater. Its not a fault with the van or a design problem its just that on some pitches when your front is on the upward slope (which is not recomended anyway due to the overrun on the handbrake)you may have to drop the front end so much that the jockey wheel will bend the handbrake. It is unfortunately an expensive user error thay one must learn from.
Good point icemaker-something for us all to watch out for!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is the same system that Alko told me was easier to use.

It seems that its easier to do damage with as well.

That's a real improvement if you are the supplier of spares

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Can't agree that its not a design fault if its possible to damage by winding down the jockey wheel which is what jockey wheels are for

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The only time I found a problem with the jockey wheel fouling the handbrake was when the wheel was turned from its normal fore/aft siting, as when travelling.

If you have to move the van after unhitching and the wheel is pointing in any other direction then lowering the van on the jockey wheel will result in it touching the brake linkage, and possible damage,

What I do now is site the van where I want it, lower the front steadies, then take the weight off the jockey and turn it by hand to its fore/aft position, then take the weight of the van on it, raise the steadies and level the van, then lower all the steadies as usual

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts