AL-KO secure wheel lock

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I believe the new Al-Ko secure wheel lock is not on sale to the general public until the new year. It looks to be a better option than the cumbersome wheel clamps but what will the price be? Iv'e not seen them advertised yet.

Regards Jim

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
After reading a review on these wheel locks they are not as easy to use as Alko make out.

Firstly your van has to have alloy wheels and it takes two people to fit it, one moving the van and the other lining the wheel up with the receiver.

If you've got a twin axle the situation gets worse as you need two fitted.

Step 1 fit the first lock using the above method.

Step 2 jack the van up and fit the second unit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our on order Bailey has this fitted but initial enthusiasm has now waned.

If either wheel needs lifting by using a wedge then it will only be good luck if the receptor on the suspension is lined up.

It would then require jacking to get the nearside wheel in the right position to engage the locking part.

I am going to retain my old wheel clamp as I feel that most of the time it will be easier to fit.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
I agree, I've only used the Al-Ko lock twice when, by luck, everything lined up. It's a good idea but not practical.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Big Roy why do you need 2 people to fit the alko secure I can do it on my own dead easy, chock the wheel with a bit of wood, leave off the handbrake,move the chock whilst turning the wheel/pushing the caravan,until it line up.

Note this unit is far superior to any other wheelclamp on the market.It is well worth the effort to fit it. I could remove any other wheel clamps in under 5 mins with my Dewalt 18v angle grinder. The Alko would take great effort to remove it. GS

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
But if one wheel is on a ramp to level the van then when the van is level its unlikely that the wheel clamp will be lined up.

I intend to use mine at home where the drive is fairly level from side to side but on a sloping pitch (like the last one we were on at Tewksbury) that needs two wedges on top of one another its a million to one that the clamp will be in line.

Jacking up the nearside with the offside on two wedges would be precarious to say the least.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a Carver mover but unless some very long wedges with level sections are used I can't see how it can be lined up without jacking on ground that slopes across the van.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts