AL KO STABLIZER & REMOVABLE CARPETS

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all. Two questions. Our new to us abbey adventura 325 2003 has the al ko stabilizer its our first van with this type of stabilizer. Last weekend was the second time weve used the van and again it flet a bit twitchy. We have been vaning on & off for ten years and i must say i felt rather uncomfortable towing it. I know all about nose weight and how to load the van im towing at about 70% ratio at mtplm although we have never fully loaded it yet. This is the heaviest van weve ever towed. Could it be the stabilizer not working properly never felt this way before towing with the blade type. Any thought would be appreciated. My towcar is a seat alhambra.

Question 2 this van dosent have removable carpets, its the only thing on our tick list it didnt have. Ive been told by our local dealer that they carnt get them any more. But said that if you carefully cut it out it can be used as a template. They gave us a number of a carpet shop that would bind the edges to make them like removable ones then you just need to fit some lino and hay presto. My problem with this is as they fit the carpet first when building the van and place every thing on top. When you cut it out you will still see the cut edge of the carpet and it could look unsightly. Anybody done this, any suggestions or ideas would be helpfull. Thanks Richard W

Jul 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Richard.

If I am correct (and that would be a first) your MPTLM of the Abbey is 1323kgs. So if you are running at 70% you are well in. My initial thoughts on why it is twitchy is possibly to light on the nose of the caravan. The biggest discussion on this forum seems to be about noseweights (apart from the Easter meet which I found out at my cost),anyway, twichy caravans usually mean light tow hitches. Nothing set in stone but you need to be between 75-85kgs. Next time you load the van get the bathroom scale out and lift the jockey wheel on, you may well be unpleasantly surprised. Also a point worth mentioning about the Alko is that the tow ball nees to be free from grease,paint or dirt for it to operate correctly. So you may find this could be your problem. Remove any paint,if its a new ball, with very fine emery paper (about 1000 grit ) and I use acetone or a drop of fairy liquid to remove any grease.

Tom

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Richard.

If I am correct (and that would be a first) your MPTLM of the Abbey is 1323kgs. So if you are running at 70% you are well in. My initial thoughts on why it is twitchy is possibly to light on the nose of the caravan. The biggest discussion on this forum seems to be about noseweights (apart from the Easter meet which I found out at my cost),anyway, twichy caravans usually mean light tow hitches. Nothing set in stone but you need to be between 75-85kgs. Next time you load the van get the bathroom scale out and lift the jockey wheel on, you may well be unpleasantly surprised. Also a point worth mentioning about the Alko is that the tow ball nees to be free from grease,paint or dirt for it to operate correctly. So you may find this could be your problem. Remove any paint,if its a new ball, with very fine emery paper (about 1000 grit ) and I use acetone or a drop of fairy liquid to remove any grease.

Tom
Hi Tom. I try to have 80kgs, noseweight I use some wood and the bathroom scales but I think i will invest in a noseweght gadge. Cheers Richard W

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tom. I try to have 80kgs, noseweight I use some wood and the bathroom scales but I think i will invest in a noseweght gadge. Cheers Richard W

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Richard, As regards the floor, after you've laid the vinyl you edge it with a moulded timber profile.

I did mine last year but being a coach built van the carpet was fitted to the furniture so i did'nt need the edging, i laid the vinyl on a very hot day, which helps it flex and used spray addesive to fix it down, the cuttings the tricky bit, very pleased with the result, go for it if do feel confident to do a good job.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts