Al-ko wheel locks AHHHHHH

May 15, 2007
Visit site
I have a Lunar Delta with 2 wheel locks and they are driving me mad, so much so that i am going back to my old wheel clamp.

I get to a site and level the van then try amd fit the locks. Sometimes i am lucky and one wheel is in line with the reciever but not very often. So out comes the trolly jack then the chocks. Then start lifting the van skywards. Next i have to remove the yellow plugs. Now i have arthritis in my fingers and find it b hard to get my fingers into such a position. Then i turn the wheels and fit the locks, nightmare !!!!.Next lower the jack and what happens, the van twists as the wheels meet the floor. I would love for the joker who invented these to come and show me an easy way of fitting them on a twin axle van.The CD that comes with the lock is an animated instruction, whats up Al-KO do you have a job fitting them on twin axles so you dont do a proper instruction video.

Oct 19, 2006
Visit site
we have a swift t/a and my husband takes the yellow plug out with the other end of the wheel brace. Jacks the van up and puts both locks on before lowering the van and removing the jack hope this helps Ann

May 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi Lincs Lady, I have arthritis in the hands and when you unscrew the yellow bung 9 out of ten times i cant get hold of it and it disapears behind the wheels, then i have to crawl under the van to retreave it . Does your van drop down the same as it went up or does it twist when its lowered ?

Graham

May 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jacky

Your correct, they do lock tight on the wheel. I have a locking post in my drive that i put the tow hitch on and lock it, i line up the hitch then put the clamps on but when i lower the van the hitch is 3 inches away from the post, i have to master the art of how much the van moves then it should lign up.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Admittedly we have single axle Clubman with a Truma mover, found it a doddle, if you have the kit there is a tool to take the yellow plug out in the bag, not found the suspension arms causing a problem, the first time took me around ten minutes to fit, granted it's a hands and knees job and can be a problem if you have arthritis or a bad back but that goes for all wheel locks that require you to bend down or lock into position, wouldn't be without mine now l have one.

Heethers

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi Graham,

I have same van and same problem - one dodge that I learnt from someone on this site (can't remember who - sorry) is to line up one receiver, fit the lock, then move the van slightly dragging the locked wheel until the other receiver lines up (you usually only have to move half an inch if that - saves a lot of swearing and sweat !

It doesn't seem to put any more strain on the suspension than the lift and lower system and on grass the wheel usually slides anyway.

I have used this for over twelve months now and the only time it can be awkward is if you are trying to level that side on blocks.

Hope this helps

Jon

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
That's the way I do mine, I got a tip from someone else which is handy....lower the jockey wheel when manouvering to keep more weight on the front pair of wheels, then lift it high (after fitting the rear Alko) to take pressure off the front 2 when inching to line up the front.

One big problem which came about in Chester last week was that the door side was slightly lower than the other, but I couldn't put the

wheels on ramps and fiddle the alko's if you seee what I mean. The only solution I can find is to use jacks, which I don't want to, or carry short planks which would give me the forward/back space to inch, which would be another heavy item to carry, or buy Milenco levellers at 90 quid a time....Anyone else got any ideas.

It wasn't too far off level to worry about, just caised a bit of a problem draining the shower.

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I still find the Alko's less hassle than wheel clamps, once you get used to them, and they are certainly a better deterrent. I've had a Ifor Horse trailer nicked with a top of the range Bulldog clamp fitted.

May 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi everybody, thanks for the replies.I hadnt thought about draging it with a clamp on . This made me think if i put one clamp on then use the motor mover to line that wheel up, has enybody done it that way ?.

Thanks

Graham

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Not sure what you mean Graham, are you talking about twin or single axle?

The way I do my twin is to line up and fit the rear wheel using the mover then inch forward or back to line up the front wheel, again on the mover which only moves the front wheels, then fit the front one...simples!

see posting above regarding jockey wheel.

May 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi Davednewname, yes its a twin and i will try as you say next time i go out, at least it will cut weight down by leaving the trolly jack in the garage.

Cheers

Graham

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts