Alarm kit recomendation sought

Oct 9, 2019
Visit site
Hi I am going to put in a hidden switch in my motorhome to disable starter motor and possible putting in a valve to turn off the fuel, but as we live very rural and go camping where nobody is, sometimes 1 mile plus from the nearest house, I looking for a good siren and poss a normal (interior only no immobilisers) alarm system to protect the interior, so a thief would be blasted inside with ear-piercing siren and outside so it can be heard a mile away, not just like the alarms people ignore. I am hoping to buy a Kit, like sensors and relays included, as one could by in the 80s and 90s for the habitation area.
Any suggestion welcome.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Just had a quick Google on DIY alarm kit and really loud sirens and there’s a lot out there. I’d suggest an all in one kit (sounder and electronics in one unit) with ultrasonic detectors inside the vehicle and use the kit siren for inside the vehicle then add another Sounder outside possibly a weatherproof one under the vehicle. Just a suggestion.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
If the unit is remote what is the point of a siren especially as no-one takes any notice of sirens these days.
You would be better off with an alarm system that notifies you directly through the cellular phone network.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
I got the impression that the OP was looking to scare a would-be thief off as his unit was parked remotely. Also got the thought it didn’t want to be too hi tech

Oct 9, 2019
Visit site
If the unit is remote what is the point of a siren especially as no-one takes any notice of sirens these days.
You would be better off with an alarm system that notifies you directly through the cellular phone network.

Where we cam and life in Scotland there is sometimes no cellular phone reception so the alarm can not notify us, but a 12 volt siren-like The Master Blaster is a powerful motor-driven siren, we had this in business premises of ours and when it went off it made you dizzy and nauseous, so that was in a larger area so in a motorhome nobody would be able to stay in the same room as that.also a second one when we are walking would be heard by us I think, as we usually within 2 miles at most, so can get back there to the motor home. Where we live you can hear a car coming 3 miles away, as sound travels through the mountains. We can try with standard alarm at first but need the option to be able to upgrade the siren, but the control panel is my problem, I do not want false alarms, want to keep the cost down, as in a house I can install a first-class bells and whistle alarm for just £250(But can not find a wired one with 12 volts capability) but most good motorhome alarms are £500 which is no good. ultrasonic and microwave are troublesome in motor homes because of furnishings curtains ventilation etc, so lots of ultrasonic detectors and magnetic contacts like use in boots of cars are good if you can not have pir like in a house alarm, but once you buy lots of em it gets expensive, hence i need a basic cheap tamperproof alarm like you used to be able to buy in the 80's 90's, a 12volt wired house alarm, but can not find one.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Domestic alarm panels although powered from the mains are actually 12V internally and have a 12V backup battery inside. Any small domestic panel and a PIR would do the job but do consider the power drawn from the vehicle battery - a solar panel might be necessary.

Jul 11, 2020
Visit site
standard manufactures fitted alarms are only good for camp sites, what about the isolated caravan lockups, so totally agree with the statement on the lack of any decent caravan alarms being available at affordable prices, this is 2020 why does nobody supply decent DIY Smart alarms for caravans? I see utra secure do some GSM kits but with 3G being fazed out in the next couple of years not sure if there 3G kits are worth the £250 investment. My house is like fort knox so would like to feel the same security and safety either on 12volts or its own battery supply. any suggestions since i have worn out google search.?

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019
Visit site
standard manufactures fitted alarms are only good for camp sites, what about the isolated caravan lockups, so totally agree with the statement on the lack of any decent caravan alarms being available at affordable prices, this is 2020 why does nobody supply decent DIY Smart alarms for caravans? I see utra secure do some GSM kits but with 3G being fazed out in the next couple of years not sure if there 3G kits are worth the £250 investment. My house is like fort knox so would like to feel the same security and safety either on 12volts or its own battery supply. any suggestions since I have worn out google search.?
I am in the process turning a house/business alarm into a caravan alarm, as they of course tun on 12 volts, but with the future, they offer it is well worth my while as I have a spare panel, also got an inverter so could run a master blaster siren if needed, used it to test panel in the motorhome with ear protection and still made me dizzy so loud it was. just need to buy new pir and magnetic contacts.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This one is from Towsure
Milenco 1274 Remote Alarm
Specially engineered for vans caravans and motorhomes
Can protect the storage areas

Attachments

• ml274.jpg
    ml274.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 3

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts