ALDE HEATING - DO YOU NEED WATER /

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
HI,
Arrived back earlier today, connected electric and switched on the Alde Heating to keep van warm overnight. Later on suddenly had a thought, should I have filled the Hot water Tank with water, before switching the van heating on? Can anyone confirm the situation for me.

Regards,
George

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello JTQ,

Thanks for the prompt response, I am a bit relieved with your confirmation, as I was worried about burning the element out.

Regards,
George

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The electric heating elements are in the inhibited water [antifreeze fluid] and are themselves thermostat controlled.
So nothing overheats.
I like many drain the fresh water out for winter but put the heating on a day prior to using the van in winter.
Likewise there is no issue using gas without filling with fresh water.
What you cant do is use either electrics or gas without the inhibited fluid filling the system. You should never face this as to avoid corrosion once filled the inhibited water system should never again be left unfilled.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hello George .Another thing to remember is your ALDE Heater is a mixture of water and antifreeze so there is no need to worry about the heater at all.One thing I would stress is keep a mixture made up in a bottle just incase the level drops and only use an antifreeze that is suitable for aluminium engines.
Sir Roger

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello Sir Roger,
Thanks for this additional information. I have some suitable Anti Freeze which I keep in the van, fortunately up to date the level has not dropped at all.

Best regards,
George

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Why bother carrying antifreeze, my near 3 year old caravan has never needed topping up on the alde, why should it?
Only time it may need any is after a fluid change when the fluid is carrying air.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
RAY said:
Why bother carrying antifreeze, my near 3 year old caravan has never needed topping up on the alde, why should it?
Only time it may need any is after a fluid change when the fluid is carrying air.
There's little point taking the anti-freeze with you - when the system and circulating pump is in use, it's impossible to assess the cold level of the coolant, which is how it should be checked - 10mm above the low mark - this comes up to the max mark in use.
It can take a few trips to move all the fluid around, over wheel arches, etc to get all the air out - depends how well the caravan manufacturer filled it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts