Caravan brakes/ motor mover

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
Glad you have resolved the problem. Must admit having the incorrect A frame cover is a first for me. Is it a new caravan or pre owned. Just wonder how it got there.
I don't want to mention the manufacturer or dealer. It's a new caravan. . I am now happy with the way the manufacture and dealer have responded to my problem. My frustration was the initial lack of concern by the dealer service desk. I felt they thought I was a grumpy old fella being fussy.. . Well, I am a grumpy old fella but I'm happy now.

Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
Why not mention the make? may help others, after all they helped you.
My dealings have been with the manufacturer and dealer. It's not for me to mention them when they are not here to respond. Everyday we learn something new. . In this case, if there is something stopping free movement of the brake lever there is an issue. I'm sure my case is an isolated issue.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My dealings have been with the manufacturer and dealer. It's not for me to mention them when they are not here to respond. Everyday we learn something new. . In this case, if there is something stopping free movement of the brake lever there is an issue. I'm sure my case is an isolated issue.
I am very pleased your problem has been sorted and it your choice not to say anything else(y)

Reactions: Danddandy
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
The OP says he was supplied a new caravan by a dealer.
The brakes didn't work properly and the dealer failed to pick this up when doing a pre delivery inspection.
The dealer also initially failed to listen sufficiently to one of their customers over a safety matter which could of resulted in injury or death.

.......given the above,
if I was the OP, I would want some form of compensation for my persistence and trouble.
I would be asking for a free first service or something similar.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The brakes didn't work properly and the dealer failed to pick this up when doing a pre delivery inspection.
The dealer also initially failed to listen sufficiently to one of their customers over a safety matter which could of resulted in injury or death.

.......given the above,
if I was the OP, I would want some form of compensation for my persistence and trouble.
I just find it very disappointing that if the incorrect A frame fairing was original fit at the manufacturer it doesn’t say much for their quality control procedures. Can only but wonder what else might have not been done properly. Similarly if for some reason the dealer had fitted it. Makes me wonder if other caravans had a similar incorrect fitment. Newer less experienced owners might not pick the fault up, and makers don’t do recalls.

But at least the OP has now resolved the brake safety problem, which is a positive step forwards for him.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I just find it very disappointing that if the incorrect A frame fairing was original fit at the manufacturer it doesn’t say much for their quality control procedures. Can only but wonder what else might have not been done properly. Similarly if for some reason the dealer had fitted it. Makes me wonder if other caravans had a similar incorrect fitment. Newer less experienced owners might not pick the fault up, and makers don’t do recalls.

But at least the OP has now resolved the brake safety problem, which is a positive step forwards for him.
"quality control procedures" can you explain what QCp's caravan manufacturers have ? I've tried but failed...... 😐

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 4, 2007
Visit site

.......given the above,
I appreciate what you are saying but I live a non confrontational life. I try not to do stress. It has taken 3 visits with the caravan to the dealer to resolve this problem so it's cost me time and money but I'm happy to move on and carry on caravanning. . .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I appreciate what you are saying but I live a non confrontational life. I try not to do stress. It has taken 3 visits with the caravan to the dealer to resolve this problem so it's cost me time and money but I'm happy to move on and carry on caravanning. . .
It is obviously entirely your own choice, but when customers simply accept poor service or products without complaint with consequences, as if that's "The best they can expect" it lets both the dealer and manufacture off the hook, when they are actually entirely liable for producing and selling faulty or even dangerous goods.

Unless both dealers and sellers are held accountable for their failures, they have no incentive to improve, and they will continue to be lax in the same way and will cause issues for other customers.

In your specific case, the caravan was sold with faulty brakes. That is an issue, which could have have had very serious consequences. It also reflects poorly on the dealership firstly for not checking the brakes for their effectiveness in all modes of operation prior to delivering the caravan to you, but also for their lack of professionalism when you made a legitimate complaint to them.

I am only pleased that neither you or anyone else was actually injured becasue of the brake issue.

I appreciate your may not be looking for compensation, but sadly without such consequences for both the dealer and the manufacturer, I strongly suspect that absolutely nothing will have changed to improve both the manufacture, and dealer PDI of the caravans.

You at least deserve a letter from the dealer (as they are the other party in this contract) admitting their liability (which cannot be refuted given the circumstances of your case) and expressing their remorse for selling a dangerously faulty product.

You would have been entirely within your rights to have formally rejected the caravan to the dealer, which would have had far more serious consequences for the dealer, They should be very grateful you didn't use your statutory rights under the Consumer Rights Act.

As I commented at the top I accept it is your right to choose whether to take this matter further or not and on that basis I will leave it there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts