Aldi Caravan Cleaner and Black streak remover.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes I can confirm it is good stuff as I have used it before , I have two bottles as we speak in the house . I tend to get them more on the back panel running down from the roof rather than the sides like I used to on last caravan .

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I agree with Craigyoung, this stuff works.

It is not an instant black streak remover and I find several applications are usually necessary, along with the obligatory elbow grease.

Used in conjunction with an "Erase Away" sponge then much less liquid is required, that said, I find the 'Erase Away' type sponges are exceptionally good for caravancar bodywork cleaning and are effective in removing black streaks on their own; they are now a go to product for me.

Available under different names and available in Home Bargains for £2.00 for two (perhaps 4 for £2.00 - can't remember right now).

I wouldn't be without them, here's an example link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OVEN-PRIDE-UKASNHKTN10291-Pride-Erase-x/dp/B005335BT4

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Anseo said:
...Used in conjunction with an "Erase Away" sponge then much less liquid is required, that said, I find the 'Erase Away' type sponges are exceptionally good for caravancar bodywork cleaning and are effective in removing black streaks on their own; they are now a go to product for me.

Isn't that going to 'erase away' your clear-coat? Or at least swirl the absolute daylights out of your paint?

I'm looking forward to trying out the Bilt Hamber snowfoam on the car & caravan, which has excellent reviews of removing dirt without any contact washing. I'm hoping it'll shift some of the black streaks and roof dirt.

Craigyoung said:
Yes I can confirm it is good stuff as I have used it before , I have two bottles as we speak in the house . I tend to get them more on the back panel running down from the roof rather than the sides like I used to on last caravan.

I get black streaks down the back panel even if the nose is dropped to allow water to run off the front, but don't tend to get them down the sides. I think the roof has a slight raised edge which funnels water off the back or front and the raised awning rail seems to help too.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I find that a slightly stronger solution of Fenwicks combined with a glass cleaning microfibre cloth fetches the black streaks away satisfactorily.

For the locker surrounds I use Silky to remove the yellowing on the plastic.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
Anseo said:
...Used in conjunction with an "Erase Away" sponge then much less liquid is required, that said, I find the 'Erase Away' type sponges are exceptionally good for caravancar bodywork cleaning and are effective in removing black streaks on their own; they are now a go to product for me.

Isn't that going to 'erase away' your clear-coat? Or at least swirl the absolute daylights out of your paint?
/quote]

Hi CA,

No swirling on paint finish or cutting back of the clear coat, but then I do not apply a lot of pressure or prolonged use in any particular area.

You are correct to assume caution with such products, many car detailers use them, not for all circumstances of course, they are just another tool in the detailing equipment locker.

So far I like them and find them effective in some cases, I always use them in conjunction with a lubricant, works for me.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Anseo said:
Hi CA,

No swirling on paint finish or cutting back of the clear coat, but then I do not apply a lot of pressure or prolonged use in any particular area.

You are correct to assume caution with such products, many car detailers use them, not for all circumstances of course, they are just another tool in the detailing equipment locker.

So far I like them and find them effective in some cases, I always use them in conjunction with a lubricant, works for me.

That's fair enough. I've seen Magic Erasers used for interior detailing, to remove marks from trim, but not for paintwork. I purchased a Meguiars Clay Bar kit some years ago and that lasted for a long time before I needed to buy more clay/lubricant.

So far I've managed to get rid of black streaks with regular car shampoo and hand washing. Hoping to get some time to wash the fleet this weekend... but forecast is 30c!

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
On our last caravan I purchased some flexible yellow strips that can be threaded through the awning rails on both sides to help the water drip away from the sides of the van.
If my memory serves me right, I paid £15 and had more than plenty to do both sides of van.
On a couple of trips where we did not use the awning,I just left them in place and they never moved.
Just checked " The well know auction site" and they still have some.
I just tapped in"Yellow awning rail strips"

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi otherclive , I think other members might be reading and thinking the magic sponge is good for removiing black streaks it is as it relies on abrasion to clean the object like baked on grease etc and not caravan paint work and windows . Cheers jrs

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
JRS1 said:
Hi otherclive , I think other members might be reading and thinking the magic sponge is good for removiing black streaks it is as it relies on abrasion to clean the object like baked on grease etc and not caravan paint work and windows . Cheers jrs

JRS
think you have got a bit confused. My posts don’t say anything about using a magic sponge. I use Fenwicks with a microfibre cloth to remove the stubborn black streaks. The microfibre cloth is these type used fir cleaning window glass so is not abrasive. I wouldn’t use a magic sponge on caravan paintwork or ABS.

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm,so sorry you are right, I was referring to a link that was from the poster who left a link to what is an abrasive product that will damage caravan surfaces unless used with the upmost care.
It was ment as a handy hint to you that's all .
Regards Roger( jrs)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts