Alko 3004 Triple Pack ????

May 2, 2005
Visit site
Can someone tell me if the lock supplied with the Triple pack is the same or different from the Hitchlock sold seperately.

Pictures I have looked at suggest they are different, but just want to confirm.

Thanks........

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The AKS13L hitchlock, sold seperately, which fits the AKS1300/2004/3004 stabiliser hitch is what I got as part of the Triple Pack.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The hitchlock is fitted with the stabiliser handle vertical - which is then rotated to it's normal position which is above the hitchlock.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
One or two caravanners disagree, but I do tow with my hitchlock on - it is recommended by Al-Ko so who am I to argue (on this occasion)?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David, whilst you may like the idea of leaving the hitch lock on whilst towing, I can assure you that the Emergency Services do NOT.

In the event of a situation where they need to separate your car from the van, the last thing they need to be trying to find is the key to unlock it.

In the complete history of caravans, NONE have ever been stolen whilst being towed at up to 60 mph , or more.

If you stop en route it is a 30 second job to fit it, or remove it before setting off again.

Also, if you stop en route, NEVER leave the car and van unattended.

You know full well that vans get stolen from service areas, you have all the needs you want in the van, toilet, cooker, fridge, kettle.

Eat your own prepared food and drinks which will be far more appetising than the stuff the service areas jokingly call food, and safer.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The emergency services will forcibly seperate car from caravan within seconds where necessary.

If Al-Ko recommend it, that's good enough for me.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I feel that the comment "If Al-KO recommend it....." is rather misleading.

Al-KO simply state "The AL-KO Security Device can also remain

fitted to the caravan whilst the caravan and

car are hitched together........." then goes on to say it saves stowing it, and can make stops less stressful.

However, the important word is "can" this is not a recommendation, just a suggestion, and not a very good one.

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I use the same hitchlock and fully agree with Damien.

My locks go on to satisfy my insurance agreement, but I'm sure anyone wanting my caravan enough would make short work of removing them at a service area or elswhere.

I see plenty of flat back pick ups masquerading with the "Motorway Maintenance" stickers on the back and a good assortment of tools, including mell hammers & cutting equipment in the rear, and a handy towbar...Not all of them will be genuine contractors !

We usually drive south during the night and when we use the services, rather than risk our holiday being ruined, we take turns to do "guard duty" as it wouldn't be practical to fit both wheel locks and the hitchlock at every stop.

I tend to be a bit shy and retiring ;-) but they won't want to mess with my better half when she's tired !

I know it's an extreme example and unlikely to happen (but not impossible), but if my caravan ever overturned I think I would prefer it to break free from my car with as little resistance as possible and the hitchlock may just keep it attached long enough to take the car over as well.

May 2, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Damian....

Never even thought about the emergency thing.....me a cop as well.

Think I will get it and just lock at comfort stops, although about 99% of the time someone always stays with the van. I'm more worried about the quick break-in than the caravan being stolen.

One thing to KEN

I have been to a fair few caravan "roll-overs" and as far as I can remember, the car always went over with what's left of the caravan (not much above the floor) still attached.

Usually caused by driver error.......not many "blow overs"

Thanks for all the input folks.....

Cheers.....David

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Damian....

Never even thought about the emergency thing.....me a cop as well.

Think I will get it and just lock at comfort stops, although about 99% of the time someone always stays with the van. I'm more worried about the quick break-in than the caravan being stolen.

One thing to KEN

I have been to a fair few caravan "roll-overs" and as far as I can remember, the car always went over with what's left of the caravan (not much above the floor) still attached.

Usually caused by driver error.......not many "blow overs"

Thanks for all the input folks.....

Cheers.....David
Roger,

Of the 3 road emergency services, only the fire service are guaranteed to have suitable equipment to quickly remove your van from the car in an emergency, so unless you can guarantee having them first on scene, I still would never be tempted to tow with the hitchlock in place.

Example - electrical fault in engine bay - fire - starts to spread into your car cabin - bit of panic sets in - hitchlock key in car with the rest of your caravan keys as getting your family out has priority - tyres explode - Police or Paramedics first on scene - fuel tank goes up - sterile area evacuated - road closed - caravan gas cylinders in front locker next.

If the fire reaches the caravan, the gas cylinders pose a much greater risk of explosion than anything around your car and it would be much easier and safer to be able to unhitch quickly and roll the van away from the fire, thereby reducing the greatest risk factor.

David,

Agreed, driver error is more than likely the contributory factor attributed for collision stats, but I bet if the drivers were interviewed post collision, that more than a few started with wind induced instability before driver error took over.

I've also noticed that the small number I have been involved in have involved 4x4's with their higher C of G's,

Cheers,

Ken.

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Roger,

Of the 3 road emergency services, only the fire service are guaranteed to have suitable equipment to quickly remove your van from the car in an emergency, so unless you can guarantee having them first on scene, I still would never be tempted to tow with the hitchlock in place.

Example - electrical fault in engine bay - fire - starts to spread into your car cabin - bit of panic sets in - hitchlock key in car with the rest of your caravan keys as getting your family out has priority - tyres explode - Police or Paramedics first on scene - fuel tank goes up - sterile area evacuated - road closed - caravan gas cylinders in front locker next.

If the fire reaches the caravan, the gas cylinders pose a much greater risk of explosion than anything around your car and it would be much easier and safer to be able to unhitch quickly and roll the van away from the fire, thereby reducing the greatest risk factor.

David,

Agreed, driver error is more than likely the contributory factor attributed for collision stats, but I bet if the drivers were interviewed post collision, that more than a few started with wind induced instability before driver error took over.

I've also noticed that the small number I have been involved in have involved 4x4's with their higher C of G's,

Cheers,

Ken.

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Roger,

Excellent answer and I hope you would get well clear and well quick.

Unfortunately the emergency services would be criticised if they followed suit so havn't got that luxury,

Ken.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts