Alko AKS 1300 Stabiliser

Mar 21, 2007
Visit site
This may be a silly question, but how do I know it is working properly? Apart from the fact I have (hopefully) connected it correctly in accordance with the instructions and haven't experienced any snaking, is there any way you can check its operation? Someone told me that they sometimes "groan" when turning, but the operating instructions (p36 7.2) state "the friction linings do not make a noise when driving...", It is a brand new unit on a new caravan and the paint on the tow ball has been removed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Peter, you could use a tow ball. Insert it into the head, it will need to be firm to simulate the head being wound down onto the towbar. It should then be able to swivel - apply the stabaliser and it should then be difficult to swivel, may need a lot of efffort by hand. You can get a feel for it by using the red ball supplied with the lock.

Mar 21, 2007
Visit site
Many thanks for your advice ray(c). Now why didn't I think of that? I have a Brink removable tow ball/bracket so have just been outside to "hook up" and test your theory. As you say it could be swivelled until I applied the stabiliser then I couldn't move it at all! Obviously not enough Weetabix this morning. Since the outfit does actually turn around corners when it is hooked up, it seems to be working well. The big test will be on the motorway when a 38 tonner goes steaming past. Fingers crossed.

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
I can see a polished patch on my tow ball where the friction pads rub on it.

Mines a 'groaner' mostly whilst shunting about sometimes my other half shouts at it to'SHUT UP' its not loud just gets on you wick after a few minutes!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Peter,

I to have a alko aks 1300 stabalizer fitted, tell you a story.

For 1 year i Used to hitch up the car to the van set the alko 1300, spent many troublefree journeys over the A66 via scotch corner and back visiting cc sites in Scotland, van never ever cause me any concern.

On my visit to the dealers for the vans first servicing, after the service i started to hitch the van up when the mechanic stopped me and asked to go through the hitching procedure again,

thought so he said, you are doing it wrong.

For a whole year since purchasing the new van i had put the red lever down and then twisted the circular item on the right to tighted the pads to the towball.

Doing it that way the pads never got tightened so vertually I had been using the van with no stabilizer

The correct way was to tighten the pads first and then push the red lever down.

I now do use the stabizer correctly, but to be honest with you i have not noticed any difference.

Royston

Mar 21, 2007
Visit site
Many thanks for your replies, Gareth and Royston. I will ensure I hook up following the correct procedure for the stabiliser. Presumably there is nothing wrong with lifting the red lever and turning the handwheel to the open position when manoeuvering onto the pitch or on the drive?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts