Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Recently fitted a used Alko hitch 2004/3004 to my Sterling Excel but have noticed that the red handle is riding up of its own accord after I start towing, is this a sign that i need to replace the friction pads?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Strange one, I would check (i know its a long shot) to see if you have a standard 50mm towball. Although uncommon nowadays, there are still a few oddball sizes about. I doubt worn friction pads could make the handle ride up. However, when these pads are supplied as a kit, they come supplied with spacer washers, and maybe the pads are over spaced. There is a tell tale on the hitch head itself that shows the correct position when the handle is locked down.

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I had to have an Alko towball fitted to my car when l changed my 'van as it has a slightly longer and higher profile to a standard tow ball.

Might be worth a quick visit to you local caravan dealer to check things out.

Best Wishes,

Sir Brian of Stevenage. B)

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
PaulJ_374574379 said:
Recently fitted a used Alko hitch 2004/3004 to my Sterling Excel but have noticed that the red handle is riding up of its own accord after I start towing, is this a sign that i need to replace the friction pads?

No. When you hitch up and push the red lever down a small 'button' should rise and you will be able to see a green band. If the button does not rise and/or you cannot see the green band then your pads needs replacing.

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
"No. When you hitch up and push the red lever down a small 'button' should rise and you will be able to see a green band. If the button does not rise and/or you cannot see the green band then your pads needs replacing.
Read more at http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/technical/49565-alko-hitch#ipTEuR7iLlOFLv1v.99"

Surely the green button rises with the application of the Black handle? and failure of the green button to appear will not surely indicate worn friction pads?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
PaulJ_374574379 said:
"No. When you hitch up and push the red lever down a small 'button' should rise and you will be able to see a green band. If the button does not rise and/or you cannot see the green band then your pads needs replacing.
Read more at http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/technical/49565-alko-hitch#ipTEuR7iLlOFLv1v.99"

Surely the green button rises with the application of the Black handle? and failure of the green button to appear will not surely indicate worn friction pads?

WARNING
The Green pop up button will only be operational by the use of the black Al-ko hitch lever. The button's sole purpose is to indicate the hitch is safely attached to the towbar. It has nothing to do with pad wear.
Also as a precaution it is good practice to wind the jockey wheel down to just lift the tow car confirming safe hitch up.

Can the OP advise how much pressure does he have to apply to lower the red stabiliser lever.

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I had the lever ride up, I needed to change the tow ball as I was advised that it did not have enough "neck" for the ALKO stabiliser. No problems after the change. The new tow ball cost about £10.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Highlander09 said:
I had the lever ride up, I needed to change the tow ball as I was advised that it did not have enough "neck" for the ALKO stabiliser. No problems after the change. The new tow ball cost about £10.[/quote

£10???

A bargain .
I' very just paid £30 for a genuine Al-ko towbar complete with nuts and bolts.

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Dustydog said:
PaulJ_374574379 said:

WARNING
The Green pop up button will only be operational by the use of the black Al-ko hitch lever. The button's sole purpose is to indicate the hitch is safely attached to the towbar. It has nothing to do with pad wear.
Also as a precaution it is good practice to wind the jockey wheel down to just lift the tow car confirming safe hitch up.

Can the OP advise how much pressure does he have to apply to lower the red stabiliser lever.

A quite severe amount of pressure is (was) required to push down on the red handle. I say was as i have now demounted the Alko hitch and replaced it with the original hitch as I was not at all happy with the handle riding up on its own accord.

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Woody3 said:
PaulJ_374574379 said:

No. When you hitch up and push the red lever down a small 'button' should rise and you will be able to see a green band. If the button does not rise and/or you cannot see the green band then your pads needs replacing.

While I do appreciate all replies received I must point out that any advice given on safety critical issues MUST be correct, the above advice while well intentioned could lead to a compromise of safety I would therefore urge all contributors to ensure any advice given is correct.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " No. When you hitch up and push the red lever down a small 'button' should rise and you will be able to see a green band. If the button does not rise and/or you cannot see the green band then your pads needs replacing. "

100% WRONG answer !!!!!!!!!
The button is activated when the BLACK handle locks down on the towball to show that the hitch is actually locked on, it has NOTHING to do with pad wear.

Pad wear is indicated by the arrows on the red handle assembly lining up between two markers.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The lack of basic knowledge shown on forums like this is really quite alarming, people should make an effort to educate themselves in all aspects of their hobby. Not only would safety improve, but their enjoyment would also be enhanced.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve

I do agree but fortunately the error was spotted early on
Generally most of the old dog posters know what they are talking about.
Just a shame some duff advice crops up occasionally.
As Mike says even an error can become a good tutorial for the less aware members.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Ditto, a least there is useful information available on forums and such like, when some of us old un's started there was none, it was all trial and error real seat of the pants stuff, strange then if all the safety bits we now have like Alko stabilisers ATC and such like cannot prevent the annual carnage of over turned vans,
I cannot ever remember there being a problem back then when knowlege was scarce. of course one should do research and verify that information given is correct, but in the end no one knows it all. not even the so called experts.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
I stand corrected - but as ever this was what I was told by the dealer and I have never had cause to RTFM!

This may help:-
http://www.al-ko.co.uk/edit/files/handbooks/aks-3004-handbook.pdf

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Woody3 said:
I stand corrected - but as ever this was what I was told by the dealer and I have never had cause to RTFM!

This may help:-
http://www.al-ko.co.uk/edit/files/handbooks/aks-3004-handbook.pdf

Not wishing to drag this out but no dealer worthy of the name would ever give information as bad as that and hope to stay in business as a dealer! Time for you to start RTFM I think.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think that this has heightened the need for awareness, particularly of what Dealers and salesmen tell customers when selling a van.

It is unbelievable some of the misinformation given, which is why manufacturers go to the trouble of providing user manuals with the correct information in.

These manuals are not just for show, they are actually MEANT to be read, not tucked away in the pristine pouch and never see the light of day.

It also highlights that information, passed on with the best of intentions,(after all, the Dealer told me so it must be right) can be dangerously wrong and people should be aware that not everyone giving information has the in depth knowledge of the product they are discussing .

Any Dealer giving information as they have to Woody3 should be put out of business as what else are they telling people that is wrong and could in extreme circumstances cause the death of an owner.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts