Alko or Kojak Jack?

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone We have just fetched home our Bailey Ranger 460/2. we traded in our old van for it and are now itching to load up and get away.
One thing has jumped into my mind, we have caravanned for a couple of years now and foolishly never given a thought as to how we could fit the spare wheel in the event of a puncture. We carry a spare wheel but only have the jack in the car tool kit.
Having looked on the internet both the Alko side jack and the Kojac light jacks look good and I was hoping someone could advise me which way to go.
Fortunatly the maximum weight of the caravan fully laden is around:- 1177 Kg. So I'm sure both brands will cope with the van OK.
Thanks in anticipation and regards Brian

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Purpleline Kojak Lite Hydraulic Jack & Levelling System

i had one of these for the last 2 years and find it very good
peter
oops sorry mines the scissor jack but still the hydraulic one

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I purchased a Kojak Lite last week. Installed the jacking points at the weekend which were very easy to fit as there are 2 holes in the chassis behind each wheel. The jack lifted my caravan no problem. 1580kg.

I cannot comment on the Alko as I have never used one.

Steve

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Purchased a Kojac Lite about 18 months ago. Have used it twice - blow out on a Motorway and one puncture in France - Kojac coped very well with the weight of caravan lifting it clear to allow removal of spare wheel.
Advantage is that the jack fits into the recess in the back of the car instead of the car jack - so only need carry one.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A cut price alternative is a small bottle jack from the likes of Screwfix or Toolstation. Then get your local agricultural engineer / blacksmith / friend with a welder to make up a flat plate with a small length of tube (say about 1/2 inch long) welded in the centgre having a diameter which just fits over the nose of the jack. Together these should come to less than £20 and pack away very easily. If changing a van wheel' make sure you stay hitched to the car, and apply both brakes. Chock the other wheel. Do not use the steady legs to raise the van. Loosen whell nuts slightly before raising wheel off ground. When you have the wheel off, lower the steady legs just in case a gust of wind (or passing HGV etc) might rock the van off the jack.
The bottle jacks are so reasonable in price and work better than most jacks supplied ith cars that so of us long distance tourers actually carry two - you would be surprised how often this come in handy.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Al-ko jack supplied with my Wyoming must be the worst piece of engineering design ever. It couldn't lift a fly.
Al-ko never responded to any of my letters / e-mails on the subject.
I bought a half decent trolley jack from Machine Mart. Does the job in a few seconds.
However it is something else to carry in the boot yet weighs no more than Al-ko's rubbish!

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
I must be the odd one out. I was so pleased with my Alko jack on my last twin axle Bessacar that I transfered it to my new Compass twin axle. I have never had a problem in lifting either van (present one weighs 1875Kg Max.) allowing full access to both the spare and the flat tyre.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
A tip I have found useful is to tow the punctured wheel up onto some blocks etc to lift the van before trying to jack it up.

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
The kojac Lite must have the most expensive chassis brackets in Europe
smiley-wink.gif

Virtually the same jacks are still available for under £15, a few minutes in the workshop with some thick wall tube and some HD box section and a few bolts and a good few quid saved and a better jobs than Kojac's
smiley-surprised.gif

I'm running with Ray S on this one, paid under a tenner for two hydrailic bottle jacks 7 or 8 years ago and very handy they are and light.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brian, definitely would not recommend you purchase an Alko. Got one included with my Senator and fould it pretty useless. Am now in the process of removing said Alko brackets to replace with a bottle jack version.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Brian,

Like Paul I too have changed from Alko to a bottle jack. Not only is it easier than witha screw type jack but you can position the bottle jack directly under the chassis lift points which again is far easier than with the Alko jack. The Alko can be tricky particulary if the road surface is not level. It's up to you how you purchase but I have seen Kojack lites at £65 which okay is more expensive than doing it yourself but you have the confidence that the jack and brackets match and will give a positive location when lifting.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello to all I greatly appreciate all comments received. Well to update my post I have now purchased the Kojak Lite.
However that in itself deserves a comment!!!
A friend I haven't spoken with for ages rang about a week ago for a catch up. When I mentioned the Jack he told me to get along to Argos because they were advertising the Kojack for about £42. When I got there the picture displayed was for the heavier scissor style jack. Because they were not busy they agreed to let me see the jack before purchase. When they produced it telling me that it was the last one in stock they had brought out the "Kojack Lite" I quite honestly said that it was a different one to the picture but depending on the price I would probably have it anyway.
They insisted that the price was £42 I couldn't get my cash out fast enough, I thanked them very much and tiptoed away.
The Brackets were a doddle to fit and the jack lifts the van a treat. I'm not sure if they have re-stocked or if other stores still have them but if anyone is in the market perhaps Argos may be worth a try. but you will need them to confirm which one they have.
I used the store at Crystal Peaks Sheffield.

Again thanks to all for valued comments and I hope never to have to use the jack "in anger "as they say.
Regards Brian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brian
In light of what you said, I checked out the Argos website yesterday and also found the kojac for £39.99. Reserved it, picked it up today, lo and behold,just like yours it turned out to be a kojac light! A real bargain. Have been travelling with just a bottle jack before, just in case but hoping that it wouldn't come to using it. Now I can look forward to a puncture with confidence. (Gulp!!) Many thanks Brian!! POI, the Argos was Fareham Hampshire, managed to get the last one.
Simon V

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brian
In light of what you said, I checked out the Argos website yesterday and also found the kojac for £39.99. Reserved it, picked it up today, lo and behold,just like yours it turned out to be a kojac light! A real bargain. Have been travelling with just a bottle jack before, just in case but hoping that it wouldn't come to using it. Now I can look forward to a puncture with confidence. (Gulp!!) Many thanks Brian!! POI, the Argos was Fareham Hampshire, managed to get the last one.
Simon V

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi Simon. Great I'm pleased

Hi Simon. Great I'm pleased you have also got a good deal (slightly better then mine in fact)
Argos must just be clearing them out where they have any still in stock?
I did explain to them that it was different to the advertised one but they were still happy to let me have it at £42.
Not often I drop on a bargin like that.

Cheers for now Simon and have many happy outings with your van and of course I hope neither of us ever have to actually use the jacks>

Best regards Brian

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi All
Proves how useful these forums are. Checked with my local Argos store and picked up the last Kojak Light with chassis brackets for £39.99.
Well spotted brian_clifford. Thanks for the tip off.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Whittakerr said:
Hi All
Proves how useful these forums are. Checked with my local Argos store and picked up the last Kojak Light with chassis brackets for £39.99.
Well spotted brian_clifford. Thanks for the tip off.
Well another satisfied reader. I'm really pleased. Like I said in my first post My jack was £42 and I was really pleased and tiptoed quickly away before they changed their mind. All the best and like I have said before,
I hope non of us ever have to actually use the jacks>
Regards Brian

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
I read some where that the Kojak is only suitable for alko chassis, as I've got a Bpw chassis does anyone know if the Kojak is ok for the BPW chassis

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello Taffy. I'm Sorry but I'm not that experienced to comment on your type of van. It may be a good idea to put your question on the forum as a new post.
This post has run for a while and your comment is right at the end. Some of the very knowledgeable members would probably pick up on your question quicker if it was posted in it's own right.
Best of luck and I'm sure someone will have an answer for you.
Regards Brian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts