Alko secure wheel lock, bolt socket has sheared of

Sep 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi, Due to go away for the weekend, caravan packed up. Whilst unlocking the lock bolt with the socket adaptor the key (star configuation) socket end has sheared off. Weekend cancelled, and will now have to wait until Monday to talk to Alko. This is a fault that has stranded my caravan luckily on my drive, However on a campsite ready to leave for home could be a serious inconvenience. Has this happened to anyone else?

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
High tensile steel bolts don't normally sheer off with out huge forces being applied :eek:hmy:

How big was the bar that you were using to unscrew the bolt ?

Sep 2, 2006
Visit site
The usual black wrench that comes with the kit. It's the teeth ( star receptors) that have completely sheared off. Brute force was not being applied.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Good job it's the socket not the bolt.
In your case you should have the Al-ko serial number for your particular piece of kit .This should enable Al-ko to see details you a replacement ASAP. I agree with Sproket high tensile steel shouldn't Dail unless it's been misuse or made incorrectly. I suspect the latter in your case so hopefully Al-ko will do the decent thing.
let us know

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
What a pain, and a disappointment. hope you get it sorted so you can get away again soon. As you say, good job it wasn't on a pitch miles from home. If it is any consolation, it has piddled it down all day here in north wales.
mel

Sep 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi, I bought the van second hand 4 years ago, so apart from the casette case with kit, keys, barrel lock and lever socket spanner I Don, t have anything with a serial number ? Unless it stamped on the reverse side of the lock! Can you offer any further advice.
Thanks.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Paul.
When new the cassette case also contains an instruction book.Inside the book is a wallet than contains a mini cd disc and a "credit card" detailing the lock and bolt codes.
I realise you don't have these but is it possible the previous owner put them with the caravan manual and associated papers? Worth a good look perhaps?

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Alko will have a set of master locking star tools ..... and with the help of a clear close up photo of the parts more so the inset of the bolt still in the lock they should be able to calculate which one you require .... Maybe worth a try.?...

Or they will have to come out to possibly remove it for you and then provide a complete replacement bolt and locking tool ....

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello Paul I'm really sorry to hear your problem. It must be so frustrating.
Just a bit of info which I'm not sure if you will know.
When buying the wheel lock kit brand new, the original owners get details to enable them to register themselves as the genuine owner.
This acts as additional security so no one can just contact the supplier for instance to obtain spare keys without supplying the details of registration password etc.

So if the wheel lock isn't actually registered to you it may be a bit of an issue when you ring the company. If it's possible to contact the person you purchased from and they still have details perhaps they would be willing to get involved and carry out the change of ownership process. (I know that's a bit of a long shot though after the time you have had the lock)
When I recently sold one with our previous van we went through the process for the new owners. The company are so security conscious that our negotiations were complicated because my wife was ringing them but I was the one who had originally registered the lock. Obviously I was sat there answering questions they were asking her but they were very cautious.

I hope my post hasn't added to your concerns my only intention is to make you aware that the company will want to be sure all is correct before resolving your issue.
I'm sure they have had similar situations however before and will have a procedure to deal with it.

Best wishes and I hope again you soon get things sorted.
Brian

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi paul_5132583 just see this post as brian_c said I lost mine and lucky for me I had the previous owners details which I gave to them they then got in touch with them then transferred the lock over to mine name the they sent me a replacement :) at a cost :( it only took 48hrs to arrive

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello Paul.
I'm just wondering how you have gone on with your wheel lock problem.
Have Alko managed to give you a solution.

Best wishes Brian

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I know this is going to be no help to the OP but others might benefit.
My experience is that any movement of the van whilst the lock is in place, like settlement, can really jam the internal bolt and at the same time make inserting the star profile squarely a challenge; could be a partly inserted star that caused this issue?
Anyway, experience has lead me to not doing the bolt up other than finger tight and on attempting removal to first check that the lozenge is free to rattle. If the lozenge is not free I engage the mover and use that to ensure it is free.
Saves spending a frustrating time trying to get the star to engage and removes much of the risk of a partly engaged star getting damaged. Mine stuck on trying to get to a ferry back to the UK and I vowed never to get myself into that situation ever again; lesson learnt very pointedly.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
JTQ, I do the same, but normally get away with just shaking the van side to side. And if on site and not going anywhere, then remove all locks anyway. Incase it rains, as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts