Alko spare wheel carrier problem

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
For some positioning the spare wheel in the front locker could make setting the nose load trim more difficult.
Despite regular maintenance I decided to bin the Alko spare wheel carrier and carried the wheel just inside the door so it could be ready if required. Given the position of the wheel relative to the Alko position only a minor adjuster was required to attain noseweight. At site it would go under the caravan and chained to the chassis with an Oxford lock and chain. It also made for safer touring when on the Continent as the Alko carrier requires you to withdraw it out into the traffic stream.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Despite regular maintenance I decided to bin the Alko spare wheel carrier and carried the wheel just inside the door so it could be ready if required. Given the position of the wheel relative to the Alko position only a minor adjuster was required to attain noseweight. At site it would go under the caravan and chained to the chassis with an Oxford lock and chain. It also made for safer touring when on the Continent as the Alko carrier requires you to withdraw it out into the traffic stream.
I done the same, but under our side bed.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Like others, I think the Alko gadget is poor. The tubes simply do not function in service because of deflection and corrosion. I have stripped and cleaned mine several times and liberally coated the interior with white grease before re-assembly, but it doesn't totally cure that particular defect. I have modified mine so that I can drop the whole frame off from either side (OK for Europe see attached) so that in practice, the gadget is just about workable.

I cannot attach the modification drawing for some reason either as Word or PDF.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
The previous owner of my van, had the motor mover behind the wheels, moving the mover back along the chassis.
The mover had been taken off when I purchased the van at two and half years old and although not that bad, van could be a bit skitish.
When I fitted my mover in front of the wheels , I attempted to move the wheel carrier forward, the trouble I had to get it off, convince me that it was rubbish.
Then, I think it was something Hutch said, convinced me the best place was inside the van.
Wheel was scrubbed clean and resprayed, now it sits under the nearside bed.
I used the carrier wing nut and made a bracket for it. It's easy to get at, I can check pressure with ease.
Wheel 2.jpg

It was supposed to be black but all the black paint had rusted off, before I cleaned and resprayed

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
The previous owner of my van, had the motor mover behind the wheels, moving the mover back along the chassis.
The mover had been taken off when I purchased the van at two and half years old and although not that bad, van could be a bit skitish.
When I fitted my mover in front of the wheels , I attempted to move the wheel carrier forward, the trouble I had to get it off, convince me that it was rubbish.
Then, I think it was something Hutch said, convinced me the best place was inside the van.
Wheel was scrubbed clean and resprayed, now it sits under the nearside bed.
I used the carrier wing nut and made a bracket for it. It's easy to get at, I can check pressure with ease.
View attachment 2145

It was supposed to be black but all the black paint had rusted off, before I cleaned and resprayed
That looks as snug as a bug in there. I can see you have occupied the nearside bed box with the spare wheel and TV. There is very little space in the off side bed box so where have you stashed bedding?

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
That looks as snug as a bug in there. I can see you have occupied the nearside bed box with the spare wheel and TV. There is very little space in the off side bed box so where have you stashed bedding?
SWMBO bedding is to the right of the tele. my bedding is under the other side, sleeping bags and pillows, extra blankets are used as throws on the seats and that's all the bedding we have.
Tried the wheel in the locker, with two calorlite bottles and bit and pieces Nose weight high and bulkhead, maybe not reinforced for a wheel, unlike like my Swift Corniche was.
Travel very light me. Car dose the work.

Reactions: Ern

TRENDING THREADS