Alko spare wheel carriers

Oct 20, 2022
Visit site
Can I suggest if you have one of these is to check it out regularly to make sure the sliders are free.
After coming home and put caravan on drive.,next morning there was a flat tyre,to make matters worse our drive is a downward slope.Spare wheel carrier seized up,had to take everything off.Lashed car to van to act as a brake and managed to put spare on.spent last 2 days renovating carrier.2 new tyres put on as they are 5 yrs old,tomorrow will put back on carrier.if anyone wants info how I repaired the sliders just let me know and I will put on site

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your problems, I think you will find many caravanners have removed the Alko wheel carrier and stowed it in sheds or garages. On my last two Coachman vans the spare wheel is under the fixed bed. Removed the carrier. A saving of 6.5 kg. If your touring Europe, changing a wheel and trying to remove that AlKo carrier is a NoNo.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
It can be a big help to tow the flat or even both wheels up onto some wooden blocks to gain more access space; still needs you to maintain the carrier so it will slide as it is designed to, properly,
Still not one of the better bits on caravan chassis design IMO.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It can be a big help to tow the flat or even both wheels up onto some wooden blocks to gain more access space; still needs you to maintain the carrier so it will slide as it is designed to, properly,
Still not one of the better bits on caravan chassis design IMO.
I used my levelling ramps to raise the unit higher, but the Alko carrier was removed in 2006 when I first had a van fitted with it. Prior to that spare wheels were in the front locker.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Surely when they service the caravan they should be checking the spare wheel which means removing the carrier?
I'ver never known the spare wheel be "serviced" by a dealer or mobile AWS technician - I guess if you specify it they'll do it at extra cost.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We removed our Alko carrier and put it in the garage and there was room in our caravan front locker and the spare wheel went there it was easier access for my mobility issues

Reactions: Bluetonic
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Your AWS schedule should say if the spare wheel and carrier are checked or serviced by inflating the tyre and/or greasing the carrier.
I agree as I would have thought that they would check the pressure of the spare tyre and to do that you need to remove it. Although we have an ALKO hitch & axles etc I have a feeling that we have a BPW chassis as the spare wheel carrier is a drop down and very easy to access.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
My service was done yesterday. The checklist shows that the carrier and condition of the tyre where checked. The report listed the tyre manufacturing date, pressure and tread depth.

Whether or the spare was removed I can't say - maybe its possible if the van is on a hoist it could be checked from underneath.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My service was done yesterday. The checklist shows that the carrier and condition of the tyre where checked. The report listed the tyre manufacturing date, pressure and tread depth.

Whether or the spare was removed I can't say - maybe its possible if the van is on a hoist it could be checked from underneath.
Wouldn't they need to check both sides of the tyre?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I'ver never known the spare wheel be "serviced" by a dealer or mobile AWS technician - I guess if you specify it they'll do it at extra cost.
I have assumed that the carrier and spare was serviced when a dealer has done the service. (But who knows). But both mobile techs I have used, have done it without being prompted.

John

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I removed the Alko spare carrier on our 'van.
Saved about 15kg on the payload. Now lives strapped down under the bed so no scrabbling around on a wet floor at the side of a busy motorway when needed

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I have assumed that the carrier and spare was serviced when a dealer has done the service. (But who knows). But both mobile techs I have used, have done it without being prompted.

John
After picking up my mum's car following a service at the main stealers and discovering they had forgotten to put any oil in the car, I don't assume anything other than they will have wiped a silicone soaked rag over the engine cover

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts