ALKO stabiliser?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a 2004 Bailey Ranger with an ALKO stabiliser retro fitted. I am thinking of having the new ALKO 3000 (I think that's what it's called? The one all the new vans have) fitted and have been quoted £250 all in! Will I notice the difference? Is the upgrade worth the money? Seems like a fair price but will I gain anything over my older ALKO?

Also getting Tyron bands fitted at the same time- £120 for both- seems like a good idea!

Cheers for your help- Paul

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Worth having but I would go for an Alko Triple Pack (3004+hitchlock+safety ball). very quick to fit yourself in circa 10 minutes.

I aquired mine last November for

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have the 2004 and have been very pleasantly surprised at the performance on our Ace Jubilee Statesman

I contacted Alko to ask if I could use my Straightliner(Sraightliner said that it would be OK) as well in very windy conditions and was told that it would put too much strain on the towball.

They have now brought out the more powerful 3005 BUT have they increased the strength of the towball ???

I think that a more valid reason would be that Alko were not prepared to admit that the performance of the 2004 could be improved yet now we have the 3005 .

Food for thought

Mar 23, 2005
Visit site
Do you really think you'll notice the difference between the 2 ALKO systems ? I have a 2004 and have found it to be very effective as an aid - not a cure-all for a poorly set up outfit. Unless I'm mistaken the 3005 will still only aid the suppression of snaking and not eliminate it altogether. Plus, isn't the main difference that it is suitable for 'vans upto a higher max weight ? If you're within your current limit for the 2004 would you really gain anything. Maybe LUTZ has the technical angle better covered ?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The performance of integrated stabilisers like the AlKo are covered by ISO Standard 11555-1 which limits their damping torque to 350Nm in articulation and 300Nm in pitching and roll, so even the 3004 will not exceed these maximum values. The purpose of these limits is to ensure that the caravan chassis and, more important, the car underbody attachment points for the towbar aren't overstressed. Having said that, the 3004 was designed to meet the need for a stabiliser for really heavy trailers up to 3000kg. The 2004 had a maximum capacity for 2000kg but even this lower figure should cover all but the very biggest caravans. Further improvements were also incorporated in the 3004 but none which would affect stabilising performance.

By the way, towballs are designed to take the maximum permissible towload permitted by law for that type of trailer connection, 3500kg, so there should be no question whether the strength of the towball is adequate to cover the needs for caravan towing. The limitations are elsewhere.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts