Alko - TA

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I have am about to take delivery of a new Twin Axle with two alko security wheel locks.

I appreciate that I will need to jack the van up to get the 2 locks on but am concerned about jacking up 1600kg - presumably without the handbrake on.

I would appreciate:

1 any tips on how to do this safely and

2 views on what is the best type of Jack to do this. I am currently contemplating buying a 2 tonne trolley jack.

Thanks in anticipation.

Andy

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Andrew

When you jack up your caravan leave it hitched to your towcar and chock the wheels on the opposite side when you raise it.

Find out which is the jacking point or fit AlKo jacking plates otherwise you may damage the chassis if you jack in the wrong place.

A 2 tonne trolley jack seems the best option.

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Andrew,

Have just gone through exactly your experience - have just taken delivery of a T/A with a MIRO of 1,500kg & MTPLM of 1,790kg - first twice I tied to fit the Alko wheel locks I found it really difficult - I was using a trolley jack, but trying to jack on the axle means that to get the jack in place you are underneath the van, and trying to pump up that weight whilst laying on your back is not easy!

I have learnt that in my case the back wheel comes off the ground much earlier than the front, so... I now line up the receiver on the front wheel and then jack just enough to get the back wheel high enough to turn.

have been advised by other members that the best idea is Alko jacking points bolted to the side of the chassis - I guess that way you can stay upright !

Good luck - enjoy the new van.

Jon

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Andrew have also recently just purchased a t/a with two alco locks. tried several options ie trolley jack / bottle jack but by far to make life easy have just fitted a Kojack jack. After bolting two brackets to the pre drilled holes on alco chassis just behind the wheels, Now just line up jack severl pumps of the handle and both wheels lift effortlessly of the floor.

decided on this option as didnt want the hastle of trying to line up a wheel to accept the receiver whilst also facing the chance of trying to level the van at the same time.

once alco locks fitted if van needsleveling on this side just raise it slightly higher and place chocks straight under wheels.

If you choose this option another thing to think about Kojack Jack circa

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Although the recomendations are to leave the van hitched to the car I beleive this add substantial strain to the jack and the chasis.

My Bailey supplied Alko jack broke on the only occasion I left my 1700 kg twin hitched while jacking.

I do plenty of chocking and use a trolley jack.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thorpedo

Fully agree. The Al-ko jack supplied with my Wyoming couldn't lift a fly, hence we carry a trolley jack.

As we have a mover I now tend to break the guidelins, unhitch and then jack up with the mover engaged and where appropriate the chocks as you say.

Al-ko never replied to my letters of complaint about the jack, I gave up.

Cheers

Dustydog

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I've complained to Bailey twice now but they havn't even had the decency to reply.

I'll also be complaining to Alko, and if I don't get an adequate response I'll be contacting trading standards and HSE on the basis that the jack supplied with the caravan is not fit for purpose and could cause injury when used under normal conditions let alone when it breaks.

Apr 20, 2008
Visit site
I've complained to Bailey twice now but they havn't even had the decency to reply.

I'll also be complaining to Alko, and if I don't get an adequate response I'll be contacting trading standards and HSE on the basis that the jack supplied with the caravan is not fit for purpose and could cause injury when used under normal conditions let alone when it breaks.
hi all

Agree with you about trying to jack t/a with alko supplied jacks to line both wheels up.Tried it once ,even with trolley jack i was not happy .Now i just use one alko lock and a hitch lock. Maybe that is me just being lazy but single axles only use one.I also feel they would be better on the opposite side as they would be seen when awning is up .

COLIN

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I take back my complaint about Bailey not replying.

They have now got back to me Via Alko who have offered to replace the jack with a side lift version.

Thanks to both Kelly at Bailey and to Alko for listening.

Once I've had a chance to try the new jack (Easter hopefully) I'll put a note on this topic as it may be of interest to Andrew the original 'poster' and others having problems jacking up twins for whel lock purposes.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Thorpedo,

If the side lift jack is the same as the ones that come as standard with the Senators.. forget it. Mine is in the garden shed somewhere and I take a Lidl special offer trolley jack with me. To operate the side lift jack you would need the muscles of big Arnie Schwhateverhisnameis. :)

Robert

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Oh dear RoB-T, this does not bode well.

I like the look of the design and I have heard previously that the side lift is easier than the scissor Jack I was supplied with the van.

My 1.7 tonne senator was supplied with the scissor jack and not a side lift. I have to fit new Alko jacking brackets to the chasis to use the 2 Tonne side lift.

I think I'll have to ensure I take the trolley jack with me.

On many occasions I have been mistaken for Arnie Swartshisface, especially when I tear the sweat soaked T shirt from my chisseled torso. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz then I woke up, now what had I been dreaming? :)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Thorpedo and Rob T

See the e-mail below sent on 18.01.2008, cc Nigel Donnelly PC Mag.

Kelly Watts wrote back and said the Alko jack, according to Alko could lift 2000kgs so could easily lift my Senator Wyoming!! I'm no weakling and hand on heart gave up completely knackered.

To date none of the ladies at Al-ko have taken up my offer, nor for that matter any of teh ladies at PC Mag!

"Hi Kelly and Angela

If you both look at Practical caravan's forum you will see the problem with the jacks you supply is not restricted to just me.

A lot of lady caravanners now tow safely thanks to the caravan Club towing courses. If I broke my arm whilst away my wife can tow easily now BUT there is no way in a month of sundays could she lift the Wyoming with the pathetic scissor jack you supplied.

Anyway I have now solved the problem and bought a hydraulic trolley jack, quite portable and not much heavier than your useless tool from Aldi for

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi All,

Just to add my twopence worth - I also gave up on the AlKo jack provided with our new S5 Wyoming after virtually herniating every time I used it and ended up bending the link between the jack and handle.

Eventually opted for a 2 tonne trolley jack which I position under the dedicated jack point behind the rear wheel. As mentioned earlier, this tends to lift the rear wheel before the front but does so with ease.

I also carry a piece of 3/4 inch exterior plywood with cutouts for the trolley jack wheels, which assists to stop the jack tipping over or digging in on grass and gravel.

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I've now had the chance to try out the Alko supplied Side lift jack. Compared to the scissor jack it's a dream, I can use it with one hand reasonably easily even on 1700kg.

You'd have to laugh though, the 1st opportunity to use it I pulled up on site at CC Club 'Plymouth Sound', positioned the van and by some crazy coincidence the receivers on both wheels were perfectly alligned. I was strangely dissapointed, I wanted to use my new toy.

Ken

The problem with the link between Alko jack and handle bending was exactly the problem I had, mine snapped off in the end.

Alko replaced mine with the side lift after I pressed the issue through Bailey.

I think they oight to know as it sounds like a design or manufacturing fault.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts