Alko Tow Balls

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are about to pick up a newer van with an AKS 1300 hitch on it, but have heard that my current unused tow ball will not be suitable and I will need an alko one as the hitch will not sit on it properly, although its a stand size ball.

thanks

Pip

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The problem is not with the hitch fitting a standard ball but with clearance when the larger hitch head moves about on the ball. The main problem is when the car has started going uphill while the van is still going down! such as in a steep hollow in the road or loading rams of ferrys where the problem was first discovered.

The other problem is the soft zinc coating on a standard ball which the pressure pads in the hitch head will tear off causing groaning noises very quickly. The Alko ball is 'painted' and this should be removed before use, something not easy to do with zinc plating.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Actually the problem is the tow ball neck is too short, there needs to be extra clearance between the ball and the rear of the car as the hitch head is bigger to accommedate the pressure pads.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The degree of articulation is covered by international standards and the Alko coupling has no specific requirements in this respect but, as Matthew correctly states, the standard clearance of 65mm between bumper and towball is inadequate for the Alko, which needs about 80mm. To my knowledge, all swan-neck towbars provide adequate clearance for the Alko.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The degree of articulation is covered by international standards and the Alko coupling has no specific requirements in this respect but, as Matthew correctly states, the standard clearance of 65mm between bumper and towball is inadequate for the Alko, which needs about 80mm. To my knowledge, all swan-neck towbars provide adequate clearance for the Alko.
The standard towball clearance from the tow bar mounting face to the towball centre is 58mm (2.25") and vertical clearance is 45mm (1.75")

The Alko towball is 65mm in both planes, very little extra 'bumper' clearance then but quite a significant increase in the vertical...whys that then??

TRENDING THREADS