Alko tow hitch requirement

Jul 26, 2018
Visit site
Hello .
I am very new to caravanning infact I am just starting .
Please advise the most compatible alko tow unit for my bailey ranger two berth 2000 caravan to replace the Basic hitch on my van at the moment .
Is it easy and safe to install yourself ?
Any advice or help will be gratefully received .
Thanks

David

Jul 26, 2018
Visit site
Oh thanks very much .
Just looked online and they are in the hundreds . :(
I see a few on ebay ? Would you advise on a second hand one or stay well clear ?

Great help thanks .
Dh

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As long as the ebay ones have the dowel with it, it should be OK.

As I said they are expensive but then so is everything to do with caravans.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
If a second hand stabilizer, while fitting I would also replace the pads. makes a world of difference and a VERY easy job to do.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
David ,
There are alternatives much cheaper
https://www.towsure.com/snakemaster-quick-release-stabiliser?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpd_m9Ku93AIVrrvtCh2t9A3UEAQYASABEgKm9vD_BwE
You may hear from many about drilling holes in the chassis. Make sure you use large strong washers to spread the load.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " You may hear from many about drilling holes in the chassis"

I prefer to go with the chassis makers advice, Al-Ko who state DO NOT drill the chassis.

Giving "advice" which goes 100% against the maker is foolhardy.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Quote " You may hear from many about drilling holes in the chassis"

I prefer to go with the chassis makers advice, Al-Ko who state DO NOT drill the chassis.

Giving "advice" which goes 100% against the maker is foolhardy.
Agreed, but the warning was there.
It does make you wonder why for many years lots of us used the Scott stabiliser etc. On the basis most caravans use Al-ko chassis the corollary is the after market stabilisers should be with drawn from the market :(

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I had a Snake master for number of years and there was no drilling of the chassis. the attachment plate was clamped on, work well.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Similarly the Bulldog stabiliser just clamped onto the A frame. In some respects I liked that style of stabiliser as it damped out pitching very well.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote :
Agreed, but the warning was there.
It does make you wonder why for many years lots of us used the Scott stabiliser etc. On the basis most caravans use Al-ko chassis the corollary is the after market stabilisers should be with drawn from the market "

For many years the chassis was made from thicker metal which could stand being drilled and retain its strength.
Al-Ko had to reduce the weight as people wanted more and more equipment in the vans and that meant thinner metal, specific bends to add strength and the loss of being able to drill it.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
I agree with Diamian. The last thing you want is a van careering down the motorway on it;s own mission. I have only been caravanning for a year now here in the UK and have already seen a crash on the motorway caused by a faulty tow hitch / stabilizer . I can assure you that driver in retrospect would say the pennies he saved using a bespoke fitting stabilizer is not worth a new van. ( I an not sure the prang was caused by a stabilizer fault but the principle stands) Happy days!

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Grey13 said:
I agree with Diamian. The last thing you want is a van careering down the motorway on it;s own mission. I have only been caravanning for a year now here in the UK and have already seen a crash on the motorway caused by a faulty tow hitch / stabilizer . I can assure you that driver in retrospect would say the pennies he saved using a bespoke fitting stabilizer is not worth a new van. ( I an not sure the prang was caused by a stabilizer fault but the principle stands) Happy days!

Grey13,

Not sure what you are saying here friend.

You seem to be saying you witnessed an accident caused by "a faulty tow hitch / stabilizer", but then say "I an not sure the prang was caused by a stabilizer fault but the principle stands ".

I am confused, (not at all unusual for me :unsure: )

Can you expand on your comment? thank you.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Yep. I cannot be sure if it was a fault of the tow bar or tow hitch. Either way the point I was making is IMO to avoid possibly cheaper products trying to save a few pennies, rather stick to reputable proven equipment.

Now I know some may disagree but that is my opinion. That van was trashed - a write off. On the M6.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Grey13 said:
Yep. I cannot be sure if it was a fault of the tow bar or tow hitch. Either way the point I was making is IMO to avoid possibly cheaper products trying to save a few pennies, rather stick to reputable proven equipment.

Now I know some may disagree but that is my opinion. That van was trashed - a write off. On the M6.
Maybe we need to rewind and understand exactly what a ‘stabiliser’is?
40 years ago Scott’s stabiliser was the best. A big friction damper that could be adjusted to suit the amount of damping. Today they or similar are available with clamp on brackets . They also did another function that the Al-ko doesn’t,. They had a massive cart spring which under tension helped nose weight. I am not convinced this did anything but the theory was there :unsure:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It's always difficult to determine the cause of any accident involving a caravan being towed because the caravans almost always disintegrate with belongings and accessories scattered across carriageways, but before The Prof beats me to it now might be a good time to point out that a stabiliser, no matter what model is fitted, will not on it's own prevent caravan instability.
Good tyre maintenance and caravan maintenance procedures, correct loading, appropriate speed for the conditions and awareness of potential road hazards are all factors which contribute to caravan stability or lack of it.
An AlKo stabiliser is desirable on any caravan, as previously stated they are not difficult to fit but many other factors contribute to a pleasant and safe towing experience

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
A week or so ago, after being out for a nice time, went home as normal and when taking the van back to the storage area, I "Fealt" the caravan not being correct, stopped and realised that the Alko stabaliser handle was not fully down. So at least I can feel a difference, with or without the Alko stabilizer activated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
...40 years ago Scott’s stabiliser was the best.... They also did another function that the Al-ko doesn’t,. They had a massive cart spring which under tension helped nose weight. I am not convinced this did anything but the theory was there :unsure:

There used to be three or four makes of blade type stabilisers, I couldn't confirm the Scott's was the best, but it was probably the most successful of the genre.

Helping nose weight? not really, The action of the leaf spring was to make the vertical articulation of the hitch more resilient, this would tend to lift the hitch by by virtue of the reaction between the spring on both the car and the caravan, and try to straighten the vertical beam of teh outfit it would tend to unload the cars rear axle by a few 10s of kg, and increase the load on the front axle by a few kg. it would be barely noticeable on the front axle.
It would also increase the load on the caravans axle by a small amount.

By virtue of raising the caravan's nose it will tend to reduce the apparent nose load.

This raises an interesting issue that I had not previously considered. When measuring a vehicle on a rolling axle gauge, or on a flat bed weigh bridge, all stabilisers should be released so the hitch is as free to articulate as possible, otherwise the stabilisers frictions or spring reactions could cause incorrect loads to be measured.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I received my first stabiliser as a Christmas present, a Snakemaster, I had. for many years towed without one, without any problems. so never thought of buying one. I did then as I do now and load the car and keep anything in the van to a bear minimum. Loading the van correctly is the most important thing you can do. All these aids are bound to improve safety, a little, but they are not the be-all and end-all of everything. I travelled from Lincoln to Melton without setting the stabiliser, and never noticed, not far I know, but it did include a run down the A1 from Newwark to Grantham overtaking a few lorries on the way.

Jul 26, 2018
Visit site
Well chaps i am travelling from dumfries to south Devon , a long trip !! , although the first few reply’s were Extremely helpful the last few have scared the life out of me . Is it really that difficult to keep my wee rigg safe ?
May try and contact somebody to give it all the once over ..
still waiting on my Alko order. Should be here early week .
Glad I found this site

David

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Garcrogo said:
Well chaps i am travelling from dumfries to south Devon , a long trip !! , although the first few reply’s were Extremely helpful the last few have scared the life out of me . Is it really that difficult to keep my wee rigg safe ?
May try and contact somebody to give it all the once over ..
still waiting on my Alko order. Should be here early week .
Glad I found this site

David
It's not difficult at all to keep your wee rig safe and you've started well by asking experienced caravanners about the best way to do it.
By all means fit a stabiliser because it will minimise the potential for instability to some extent.
Other things that you can do to stay safe are:
Load your caravan correctly, with heavier items low down on the floor over the axle.
Find out what the nose load limits for your vehicle to hitch and also for the caravan hitch are and get as close as possible to the noseweight limit without exceeding it.
Don't overload your caravan
If the caravan tyres are over7 years old replace them, regardless of tread wear because the sidewalls will have deteriorated
Check tyres for splits, bulges or cracking in between the tyre treads and inflate to the correct pressures.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts