Alko Towball

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm about to embark into the Alko Hitch/Ball/ Stabaliser scenario, for the first time.
So the question is ,after cleaning all the paint off the towball with I presume a fine wet and dry paper, how do you keep it clean, surely it will start to gain surface rust etc even with a cover over it? Surely its not rubbed over everytime you hitch up?
Also is there any thing specific I need to know about this set up?
Thanks
Kev

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clean all the paint until bright and shiny then clean with Brake Cleaner.
Keep covered when not in use and clean EACH TIME before hitching up with brake cleaner and a scouring pad if only light contamination or fine wet & dry if more. Finally a squirt of brake cleaner to remove any bits.
Do not use any grease at all anywhere on the towball or hitch head.
Occasionally give the friction pads a clean with brake cleaner too.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Do you have the right towball. If it is a fixed ball, you need one with an extended neck.
mel
BTW do you have a hitch lock that fits an Alko stabiliser. I have one surplus to requirement. (bought a new van with a winterhoff stabiliser
mel

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Mel said:
Hi Do you have the right towball. If it is a fixed ball, you need one with an extended neck.
mel
BTW do you have a hitch lock that fits an Alko stabiliser. I have one surplus to requirement. (bought a new van with a winterhoff stabiliser
mel

Hi Mel, yes have got the genuine Alko Tow ball being delivered this week.
When I looked at the van there was a hitchlock on the van but the dealer said it was there own. So i argued that it was on the van when I looked at it, so it should stay on it!!!! The sales assistant then blabbed on about waiting for the manager to return (from the NEC) before making a decision.
So I still dont know if I have one or not!!!!
But I will keep in mind about your one and then perhaps we can contact one another a bit later when I know the answer,
Thanks again for the offer
Kev

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gagakev said:
So the question is ,after cleaning all the paint off the towball with I presume a fine wet and dry paper, how do you keep it clean, surely it will start to gain surface rust etc even with a cover over it? Surely its not rubbed over everytime you hitch up?

Kev

I'm quite surprised how little rust appears on mine, even after a winter with just a simple cover. A quick rub with Scotchbrite usually brings it up fine.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site

Hi Mel, yes have got the genuine Alko Tow ball being delivered this week.
When I looked at the van there was a hitchlock on the van but the dealer said it was there own. So i argued that it was on the van when I looked at it, so it should stay on it!!!! The sales assistant then blabbed on about waiting for the manager to return (from the NEC) before making a decision.
So I still dont know if I have one or not!!!!
But I will keep in mind about your one and then perhaps we can contact one another a bit later when I know the answer,
Thanks again for the offer
Kev
[/quote]

No problem. If your haggling comes to nowt get Parksy to send me your email and I can send it on.
mel

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Mel, thanks for that, going to try and ring them tomorrow to get an update, will let you know how I get on.
Kev

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mel, are you still there??
Spoke to the manager today and got him to see it my way, they are to supply the hitchlock so I should'nt be needing yours, but once again thank you for your kind offer.
Kev

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I think we still have it, I'll check Are you sure we are talking about the same thing though. I am on about a hitchlock (fits on the hitchhead under the ALKO stabiliser handle and stops anyone hitching up (in theory). The reason I ask is that it is not really an awesome piece of kit and I wonder if you are thinking of an Alko wheel lock (considerably more awesome) but different. You are stillwelcome to the hitchlock if OH hasn't pased it on elsewhere. Let me know.
mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Interseting one Kev,

The dealer has a duty of care to protect his stock, and from the insurance companies point of view he may be required to fitt a hitch lock to vans on display It may not have been part of the caravan sale.

Are you also claimibg the flagpole and flag that some dealers drop into the jockeywheel clamp - and if so you do realise you caravan will not have a jockeywheel !
smiley-wink.gif

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Prof John L said:
Interseting one Kev,

The dealer has a duty of care to protect his stock, and from the insurance companies point of view he may be required to fitt a hitch lock to vans on display It may not have been part of the caravan sale.

Are you also claimibg the flagpole and flag that some dealers drop into the jockeywheel clamp - and if so you do realise you caravan will not have a jockeywheel !
smiley-wink.gif

Yes certainly an interesting one Prof, my van was a second hand £10k van, on display amongst all the brand new £15k plus vans.
Wonder why my van was the only one with the lock? But I won the battle and got the lock!!!
smiley-smile.gif

Now the flag pole question should have been directed at Parksy, he would have chosen the flag pole
smiley-laughing.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts