ALKO Wheel lock

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Can anyone advise ?

We take delivery of a new sterling searcher elite twin axle in Feb. The van comes with two Alko wheel locks included but I understand these wheel locks require the wheels to be jacked up to align the locks. Apart from this being a real pain we have also had a powertouch mover fitted so the alko jack points have had to be removed to accomodate it. Can anyone confirm this is correct and if so which lock would prove a better alternative.

Thankyou for your help.

Jim

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
We have a twin axle Ace Supreme fitted with the Alko wheel locks. Unless you are extemely lucky when positioning your caravan (happened once last year !)and both bolt receivers are in line with the spaces in the wheel rims then jacking up is the only solution. It is a pain at the best of times, but without the jacking points I have no idea how you will cope. Even with the jacking point it is no fun using the standard Alko jack supplied with the caravan on a muddy pitch or uneven ground. I always carry a piece of timber to spread the jacking load.

I had wondered myself about using just one of the locks and for the other wheel, the wheel clamp that we had from our old caravan. But I did tell our insurer that it had two Alko locks fitted. Fitting just one Alko lock should be possible without jacking up if care is taken during the final positioning prior to dropping the corner steadies.

I also have a Bulldog pincer type wheel clamp that is really easy to fit but it doesn't shroud the wheel nuts.

In summary, in my opinion the Alko wheel lock is a great idea, small and compact, but seriously flawed in operation when applied to a twin axle.

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
We have a twin axle Ace Supreme fitted with the Alko wheel locks. Unless you are extemely lucky when positioning your caravan (happened once last year !)and both bolt receivers are in line with the spaces in the wheel rims then jacking up is the only solution. It is a pain at the best of times, but without the jacking points I have no idea how you will cope. Even with the jacking point it is no fun using the standard Alko jack supplied with the caravan on a muddy pitch or uneven ground. I always carry a piece of timber to spread the jacking load.

I had wondered myself about using just one of the locks and for the other wheel, the wheel clamp that we had from our old caravan. But I did tell our insurer that it had two Alko locks fitted. Fitting just one Alko lock should be possible without jacking up if care is taken during the final positioning prior to dropping the corner steadies.

I also have a Bulldog pincer type wheel clamp that is really easy to fit but it doesn't shroud the wheel nuts.

In summary, in my opinion the Alko wheel lock is a great idea, small and compact, but seriously flawed in operation when applied to a twin axle.
Thanks Tony I appreciatethe feedback. I think I will clear it with the insurance company to fit a bulldog clamp. Jim

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site

I have exactly the same problem on a twin axle bailey, I bought a Kojak jack and it has a bracket that bolts to existing bolts on the chassis , which just miss the mover and allows me to jack it up.

If i am on grass, I have once or twice fitted one lock and then 'dragged the van a little to lign up the other one - not desirable ?

Andy

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem on a twin axle bailey, I bought a Kojak jack and it has a bracket that bolts to existing bolts on the chassis , which just miss the mover and allows me to jack it up.

If i am on grass, I have once or twice fitted one lock and then 'dragged the van a little to lign up the other one - not desirable ?

Andy
Many thanks for the feedback.

Jim

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
We too have the Sterling Searcher. Our Mover is the Truma TE fitted forward of the front wheels, so we have not lost any jacking points, and our wheel carrier is also not affected (as is the case with some Movers).

I take it this a 4 wheel mover you are having?

Have you asked Powertouch what you are supposed to do without jacking points? What if you have a puncture? Can the points not be relocated?

The Alko jack is not that great, we use a trolley jack, but under the jacking point, it is easy to put on the Alko locks then, and the jacking is easy and quick.

With the mover you can easily line up for one lock. We also have an Excalibur clamp for use at home in case we cannot get the 2nd one on as our drive slopes and space is limited.

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
We too have the Sterling Searcher. Our Mover is the Truma TE fitted forward of the front wheels, so we have not lost any jacking points, and our wheel carrier is also not affected (as is the case with some Movers).

Have you asked Powertouch what you are supposed to do without jacking points? What if you have a puncture? Can the points not be relocated?

The Alko jack is not that great, we use a trolley jack, but under the jacking point, it is easy to put on the Alko locks then, and the jacking is easy and quick.

With the mover you can easily line up for one lock. We also have an Excalibur clamp for use at home in case we cannot get the 2nd one on as our drive slopes and space is limited.
Thanks for the feedback. It appears you do lose the jacking points with the Powertoch. It seems you have to call road assistance if you get a puncture unless i carry a trolley jack which is a lot of weight. I have found a new model Millenco through the wheel lock that will do the same job without needing to align wheels etc. Apparently it has just come onto the market.

Thanks again

Jim

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site

ps How have you found the searcher to live with ?

We were a little concerned the fixed bed is large enough. We have not caravanned for 12 years and then we used the front bed in a crusader super storm which was great. We are told fixed beds are the favourite option nowadays.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My method around this problem is to run one of the wheels onto 3 or 4 thicknesses of thin plastic sheet, I use pieces cut from an old storage box.

Fit one of the Alco locks to that wheel the using the car or the motor mover slide the wheel until the other wheel lines up.

I had the same trouble with the jacking points and had some correspondence with Alco about re-drilling the chassis to get around it. Their reply was that re-drilling the chassis would cancel out their warranty.

I have found that using one of my leveling wedges I can raise up one wheel enough to remove the other wheel.

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi Jim,

We are very pleased with the van. The bed is not huge, but sufficient. OH sleeps next to the wall, so I just shove him over a bit!

The Alde heating is excellent, the big fridge/freezer is great, and the shower and bathroom very spacious. The space under the bed holds a lot, and there are plenty of cupboards for the 2 of us. The wardrobe is tapered, but fine for our use.

We have had it since March 2008 and were away 10 weeks in spring 2008 in England, 3 weeks in autumn in Scotland, 10 weeks in England last spring, a week in the summer, and 3 months in France Sept/Oct/Nov. This year we are off to Scandinavia for 4 months from May, with maybe a 3 week trip here first in April, so the van is well used!

We find it ideal for 2, even 3, but I think we would struggle using it as a 4 berth due to the wardrobe.

We have uprated the MTPLM to 1900kg as we have air con fitted (Omnivent now moved to the bathroom). The extra 85kg covers that and the Mover, the Fiamma Zip, and a few other extras we have fitted, leaving our original payload intact. This is especially useful on long trips as it allows us to take along extra bits and pieces and a good tool kit!

Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
I have a single axle van and its still a pain to locate the wheel lock even with a mover fitted. It an even bigger pain if you have to level the van on that side as well.

Why do you need to fit two locks? Surely one would suffice to immobilise the van.

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi Paul,

I think the insurance companies work on the assumption that if a single locked wheel were to be forecfuly removed on a twin axle, then the caravan could be towed away with just the one remaining wheel in place!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a T/A axle and fit what my insurance company insist on, which is "a wheel clamp" so I only use "a" clamp.

BTW I'm with the Caravan Club.

Al

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
It does vary. We are also with the Caravan Club, but we get significant discounts for various security measures such as the 2 Alkos on a twin, the tilt alarm, and the tracker.

It is easy to comply, so why not? Any discount is worth having if the conditions are not too onerous.

May 15, 2007
Visit site

Andy
These locks are good but i think Alko didnt think it through properly for twin axels.

I have arthritis in my hands and trying to use a jack is very painful but i cansee no way around it.

I must ask my insurer if both have to be fitted so the van is insured, as 2 recievers are fitted and locks supplied they both have to be fitted ?. Any ideas

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi Jim,

We are very pleased with the van. The bed is not huge, but sufficient. OH sleeps next to the wall, so I just shove him over a bit!

The Alde heating is excellent, the big fridge/freezer is great, and the shower and bathroom very spacious. The space under the bed holds a lot, and there are plenty of cupboards for the 2 of us. The wardrobe is tapered, but fine for our use.

We have had it since March 2008 and were away 10 weeks in spring 2008 in England, 3 weeks in autumn in Scotland, 10 weeks in England last spring, a week in the summer, and 3 months in France Sept/Oct/Nov. This year we are off to Scandinavia for 4 months from May, with maybe a 3 week trip here first in April, so the van is well used!

We find it ideal for 2, even 3, but I think we would struggle using it as a 4 berth due to the wardrobe.

We have uprated the MTPLM to 1900kg as we have air con fitted (Omnivent now moved to the bathroom). The extra 85kg covers that and the Mover, the Fiamma Zip, and a few other extras we have fitted, leaving our original payload intact. This is especially useful on long trips as it allows us to take along extra bits and pieces and a good tool kit!
Hi Jennifer

Thanks again for the feedback on your van, no one can say you dont get full use out of it. I was considering an air con unit but as we wre only away in France for two weeks in June we decided to live with it first and fit one later if we do more travelling abroad. I am still hoping we can get on with the bed size ok but if not I suppose we could use the front full size one. Although that would make having a fixed bed a little silly.

Anyway we are looking forward to getting the van especially after a 12 / 13 year break. Hope you have a great season, sounds like you have a great deal planned.

Regards

Jim

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
I have a single axle van and its still a pain to locate the wheel lock even with a mover fitted. It an even bigger pain if you have to level the van on that side as well.

Why do you need to fit two locks? Surely one would suffice to immobilise the van.
Thanks for the feedback, Just to let you know that my dealer advises that Millenco have just brought out a new lock called a through the wheel model. He says they do the same as the AlKo but you simply put your hand around the back of the wheel to align the receiver ie no need to try and align to a fixed receiver as with Alko. Hope this helps as it certainly appeals to me over the Alko.

Regards

Jim

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
It does vary. We are also with the Caravan Club, but we get significant discounts for various security measures such as the 2 Alkos on a twin, the tilt alarm, and the tracker.

It is easy to comply, so why not? Any discount is worth having if the conditions are not too onerous.
i think big al should check about just firtting 1 alko lock on a twin axle. it was explained to me by caravan club insurer's to have the 10% discount for alko lock both must be fitted. i cant be bothered using two so i declined the discount and use just the one,a lot less agro! tony

TRENDING THREADS