Alps in Winter

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am considereing taking the 'van to the French Alps sto take the family skiing this winter. I would appreciate any recommendations of any resorts and sites. Any helpful hints and tips are also appreciated. I like to think that I am fairly experienced and capable tower - Is it possible/feasible for a 2ltr TDCI Mondeo estate towing a family 'van to reach a suitable site at that time of the year. (the continentals seem much better prepared for the white stuff than we do!!!)

Many thanks

Charles

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The short answer as to whether caravanning in the Alps in winter is feasible is 'yes' so long as you have the right equipment. Winter tyres on the car are an absolute must (not quite as important on the caravan, though) and you should carry snow chains, too. In fact they are required by law on certain mountain roads (usually signposted). In case this is going to be a one-off trip for you, you may be able to rent chains before you go or locally.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are looking at doing the same thing. There is a nice looking site called "Champ de Moulin" near to Les Deux Alpes with a cable car that takes you up into the resort from the site. The site itself is therefore at a much lower altitude than the resort. Last year we went on a package holiday to Les Deux Alpes and stayed in a hotel. The skiing there is excellent for all abilities and the roads on the coach journey up into the resort were completely free of snow right into the centre of Les Deux Alpes. A friend of mine stayed in Les Deux Alpes the previous year and the main road was covered in snow. Locals told him that this had been the first time in 15 years that the road through the town centre had had a covering of snow.

This is where we are looking at. Of course we will take snow chains whatever. Hope this is of some help.

TRENDING THREADS