Alu-Tech and other new construction methods

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Bailey tell me in their new brochure that the Alu-Tech “Better balanced body shell makes the caravan inherently more stable enabling it to take even the most demanding journeys in its stride”.
Is there any truth in this statement :whistle:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Since it’s been out almost 10 years is this the best they can come up with. I doubt they have any comparative videos showing an Alutech versus another make of equivalent weight distribution and aluminium sides. Gains if any I suspect would be marginal and difficult to substantiate. Marketing hype methinks.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I cannot see where they get that from. To me the construction method is a plus in the fight against water ingress damage and may add strength to the frame, but how it can improve stability is beyond me. Stability is down to good overall design.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It does occur to me that the reference to "Stability" in the context of the body, may not be to do with how the caravan tows but how stiff the body structure is, which in that context might make sense.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
It does occur to me that the reference to "Stability" in the context of the body, may not be to do with how the caravan tows but how stiff the body structure is, which in that context might make sense.

If that is the case then they are somewhat exaggerating the facts.
Ever since the introduction of Alu Tec the panels have been glued and clamped together with a glue that is so strong that once set the clamps can be removed.

If any damage happens which needs a panel to be removed it is a case of "out with an angle grinder" as that is the only way to part them...…….so nothing new in their claims.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ambiguous use of 'stabilty' I think. The basic problem is to make a boxlike structure as light as possible , strong and rigid. The various holes for windows and doors weaken the basic box further and internal bracing is generally restricted to the roof area.
So aa continuous bond at all edges is a good concept - far better than holding the edges in place with screws which can vibrate loose, be over-tightened and strip during assembly and leak.
The gaining of additional rigidity may have allowed the increase in number and size of window apertures e.g. the huge centrer front windows on Bailey and other vans, but as Damien has ably pointed out panel and other repairs will be more complicated and probably more expensive.
However, since the word 'stability' said to the majoriety of caravanners will relate to stabilty of towing on road, i too think this may be a slightly devious usage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts