And it's goodbye from me too, dear caravanners...!

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
After being a caravanner on and off over the last 40 years - particularly the last four years - it's gone!!!

Yes, sold the caravan. It's served us well and we have enjoyed enormously visiting our favourite area - the New Forest. But now we've moved house to live there - so not much point in having the van now!

So as I take my leave of the caravanning fraternity, I have to say thank you to all you guys on the Forum for all the fantastic information and advice I have gleaned over the years.

Absolutely invaluable, better than any mag. I don't contribute a lot, but I log in most nights - and it all makes a great read (love all the spats!).

I would say one thing. I will never denigrate caravanners and I hope you guys will always stand up for your interests too. It's a great way of life - spirit of adventure and outdoor life, and all that!

Ignore the Clarksons of this world. As a professional person (just retired), I have raised many an eyebrow among contemporaries as I have extolled the pleasures of getting out and about and enjoying the countryside without a spa bath.

If they don't geddit, it's their loss!

So happy and safe caravanning to one and all. If I get stuck behind one of you in my new "solo" life, I won't be grumpy - I'll be envious!!

Will I ever return to caravanning? Well, it's not on the agenda right now - but never say never, (and I know I won't be able to refrain from looking into the Forum, caravan or no caravan.)

Colinn

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Good luck in your new move. At the moment I can't imagine being without the caravan but no doubt that day will come. I've also often thought of moving to a different area but my wife would have none of it, Hereford born, Hereford bred, thick in the arm and thick in the head. Glad she doesn't read this forum :O)

We've got a son and a daughter, both married, who live close to us so I'm on a loser.

There is one way I would give up the van though and that's to go back to boating but at the moment I've still got a few more places to see.

You are right about the area, it is nice down there although a little more populated to where I live.

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
What an absolutely lovely post, Colinn. We are 4 years into caravanning and absolutely loving it.Tons of memories and feel tearful at your post, just like when I take the deep breath of sea air when we arrive on site with our caravan.Leaving work behind and having quality time with our children 7 years and 4 years.All the best. Kind Regards and good wishes x

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Colin,

Me and my co-pilot wish you all the best. Your knowledge and experience has been a godsend and no doubt will continue to be so. We can look on in jealousy, as the New Forest is where we want to root too.

Regards

Danny

G

" Never say never "

Enjoy the forest summer traffic Collin, I would have kept caravanning to get away from that ;)

Enjoy retirement. We do.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Best wishes for the future Colinn, don't forget to look in now and again and let us know how you are getting on. There are always forum members who are interested in the New Forest so having another resident expert will be good.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......you know you have been browsing through brochures for small campervans to enjoy local day trips more!

Is it a VW? ..... keep us posted ;-)

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I always wonder when people move to places, that are their favourite holiday designation.

Doesn't it just become home, which surely only means, after living in paradise for a few months leads to desperation to get away on holiday?

Perhaps back to were you lived?

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Like LB I too will probably stay where I am, families and all that. We would love to move to Cornwall. Well done Colinn. Good luck in your new life. As an ex caravanner you are still entitled to contribute to this forum ( commonly called , grandfather rights ). Enjoy

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Thank you all for your kind words and good wishes...once a caravanner always a caravanner I say!

We have been in the New Forest for a month now after spending the last three summers visiting nearly every weekend. So we know the area pretty well.

In fact, if anything, the move has exceeded our expectations - who wouldn't want to wake up in the midst of this lovely countryside, ponies, deer, birdlife and all??

Will we get fed up of living in our favourite area? Well no more so than living at our previous home...

Will we still want to go on holiday - you bet! Moving here won't change any of that - it's just that it may not be in a caravan for a while.

Will we worry about traffic? Yes, it's a busy area euro, but everywhere is these days and where we are fortunately it's quiet. More to the point, will I miss the weekly 200 mile round grind down the M3 to get here? Well, would you??

No, we know we have no automatic right to happiness wherever we live - it's just that for us this is as good a place as any!!

Best wishes to all and happy caravanning...

Colinn.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts