And we are off!

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
So our annual journey to Cornwall began yesterday with me dropping off the woman at her place of endeavours, work in other words, a strange start to a holiday but it works for me!
Back at home now I pack the car and then with Cornwall 365 miles south I head 56 miles North.
Thirsk area to collect the caravan from the site it lives on and where we take our weekend breaks.

Home again after a very nice tow at 52mph. I have been for years a believer that cars have a sweet spot as far as mpg is concerned, my petrol powered 3 year old A4 avant works beautifully at an indicated speed of 52mph doing the eco driving stuff the handbook promised, shifting into neutral every now and again and its main party piece, turning the engine off with the systems being powered by the second battery.

Problem, very nice neighbours ask me if I needed their parked car moving, "No I say, the caravan is remote control".
This minor bragg ends in egg being thrown on my face, the mover actuating bar shears off, not before I try in vein to get the caravan to go in a straight line, then I realise the problem and quickly engage the other mover, phew, the neighbours are suitably impressed with my maneuvering skills as I thread the Coachman onto my drive.

45 minutes later, an array of tools the bar is removed, non repairable, requires a very large part from power touch, no time, maybe no part available, sod it, the thing still works and its easier to apply, so I cover the moving bits in grease and oil and call it a day.

Next clean the roof with Snow Foam.

Problem! for the first time ever the applicator that plugs into the pressure washer jams up, another 30 minutes lost to effect a repair, but now using a Vax with extension poles the roof and rear is pristine, just in time for the rain to fall in biblical proportions, time to fetch the gas.

Problem, for years the gas shop, a large compound has been Calor, after a 20 minute drive because of traffic I find its now a Flo Gas stockist only! Quick Google sees me at a garden centre. £24.50 later I have 6kg of propane!

At 17:30 precisely I'm away, the outfit is driven to my wife's work, she is stood waiting with hot pizza in hand, and we are finally off, destination Cornwall.
Well via a lay-by which is were I am now, listening to bird song drinking coffee and thoroughly satisfied with my lot, this is one of many joys of caravaning which I like.

From junction 40 of the M1 to Junction 10 of the M5 some 159 miles, the petrol car pegged at 52mph in eco mode, against Audi guidelines for towing but I dont care, with around 1500kg of caravan attached to the back, the car is full of ebikes, 2 holdalls of clothes, a top box with porch awning and various lets say, stuff, returned a surprisingly good mpg of............. 28.6 and thats with a good hour of rain too.

Next stop, Asda patchway, petrol and Macci Ds breakfast, then onwards to 14 days of holidaying!

Wreckers restaurant for cream tea anyone?

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Thanks everyone .
Well we are here, paid for the night before so we could get on site in the am.
,All set up, Asda next, in a bit, having a relax.
Site is packed, Covid I expect as we come to Cornwall every year and at this time its usually us and a handful of others on site, but not today, very well populated with all kinds of holidaymakers.

28.1 mpg was the final figure, 3 mpg down on my previous diesel Insignia but up 6 mpg on my previous previous diesel jag.

Little Winnick, we use this for location, no phone signal but site paid for WiFi solves this. 3rd time here in a row for our summer jaunt.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Have a fantastic Holiday. I shall be cruising down to Cornwall on the 3rd July, 100 miles less than your journey. Leave me some good weather.

Reactions: Darren.H
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Cornwall bound too. Just arrived at Exebridge for 5 days then into Trethem Mill nr St Mawes for 21 nights. Easy drive to Bristol from Derbyshire then start stop all the way from Gordano to jct 27.

Setup and fine. 2 years to the day since last we used the caravan. Been a long hard saga to get to this point.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Cornwall bound too. Just arrived at Exebridge for 5 days then into Trethem Mill nr St Mawes for 21 nights. Easy drive to Bristol from Derbyshire then start stop all the way from Gordano to jct 27.

Setup and fine. 2 years to the day since last we used the caravan. Been a long hard saga to get to this point.
I hope that everything is fine with the caravan and that you have a great holiday, Thingy.
We're off to Falmouth for a week next Sunday, then onward to a fortnight at St Ives.

Reactions: DaveA1 and Thingy
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Have a great holiday :)

Reactions: Thingy
Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Sorry Kevin but it's been 20 years since I retired, problem not been able to get away since October 2019 hope to change that shortly.

Trevor

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Hi Kev I hope you enjoy your break this weekend where we going this time :)

We have a grass, adult pitch in Oxon Park Shrewsbury 👍
Be a bit later getting there on Friday as I’m working till 3ish.
Vans all ready and clean, just needs clothes and a bit of food loading.

Kev

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts