Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello we are thinking of staying in the Annecy region this summer. Bit concerned about the distance from La Havre, we are using the 22:30 crossing is it viable to drive it in one day or should I plan a stop over. Any advice would be welcome thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This really depends on how long you want to travel. Went from Calais last year, one over night stop. You can do it in a day if you leave early and don't have many stops during the day other wise plan an over night stop for around Machen or near by.

Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi steve i looked it up on mappy and it says it is 735 miles i don't like to do much more than 300miles per day try and have a stop over about half way it's a long way in one day when towing have a good time

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve

We went to Annecy two years ago and had a wonderful time. There is lots to do in the area and even if you have a full month in the area it still would not be enough time. Annecy is a lovely place. Spend some time on the lake. We travelled from Dover and did a overnight stop at Joinville which is a place I would highly recommend. I've just mapped a route on my Pc using Co-Pilot and from Le-Harve to Doussard which is at the south end of Annecy where we stayed. It is 470 miles and would take you over 7hrs without any stops. Therfore I would recommend you should book an overnight stop.

Dave

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve - in terms of mileage, this is possible in a day. It is a bit over 450 miles from Le Havre to Annecy. Providing that you have had a good night's sleep (in a cabin, not a chair!), it will take perhaps 9 or 10 hours allowing for reasonable breaks. My personal preference is always to make the journey part of the holiday and break it up into smaller chunks. Some of our most interesting stops have actually been at places we have just happened to discover en route to somewhere else. But, if it is important to you to get there as quickly as possible, it should be possible. If unforeseen circumstances intervene - very bad traffic etc, you can always make a last minute decision to stay over somewhere and arrive a day later than planned.

Enjoy your holiday!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
did the trip a couple of years ago from caen, it is a 2 day trip min; stayed to the east of the French Grand Prix curcuit (magny-cours)on a small municiple (from the cc a5 directory, v good). use the auto route for the last leg, go round to the north and then approach annecy from the east / swiss side - this is the best route in. the annecy tourist office produces a list of sites - contact them by e-mail. although we took 5 days on the way back staying again east of magny-cours and a couple of days at municiple at Chartres (v good) you can walk along the river right into the old town).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We went to that area 2 summers ago and did it with an overnight stop. It would be possible to do it in a day, but it would be a long day and after all you will be on holiday so why not just take your time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
take your time ,you could probaly get down there in a day as these days the roads over the mountains are more direct than when we used to go there <up hill and down dale etc>. there are now cuttings and bridges to the area now

but a night stoppover would be no hardship, and you see more of the countrside instead of racing down there. and it is worth it, went there seven years on the trot

beautiful

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve Mappy says 454miles and Michelin 457miles.

We did slightly shorter one from Valance to near Orleans. We were two drivers sharing it was a killer the speed limited didn't exit at times the foot was to the floor to get there. Everyone is right have a stop over.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi steve,

I've just booked for annecy going second week in aug,1st week is on the med.We have allowed two days travelling back to the ferry as we like to do it leisurely.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts