Another "Great Calor Adventure"...

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
...And generally awful day.

"But they're in the same group. Look!" I protested as I waved my iPhone with Calor website under the nose of a crochety old sod on a windswept Gloucestshire industrial estate.
"Oiy don't care wot it sez on there, it's loike fer loike" he ranted back.

The feeling of dread took over late last night, as my gas ran out... completely. Auto changer valve is going on Ebay or in the bin. I think you need to turn on the cylinders in the right order else it uses the "wrong" one. I ended up with two very low cylinders and all of a sudden, my caravan was being supplied by Nord Stream 2. No problem, I'll go and get some more gas in the morning I thought. But then I remembered, I still have a 3.9kg cylinder along side my 6kg. Some may remember the pantomime I went through trying to exchange the first one I had, and I was dreading doing it again for the second one. Well the time came. Went to numerous places. " Sorry, like for like". "Sorry, no".

Rang Go Outdoors this evening

Go Outdoors: "Sorry, we haven't got them in stock"
Me: "If and when you DO have them, can I swap my 3.9 for a 6?"
Go: "Sorry, it's like for like"
Me: "But Calor's rules say I can!"
Go: "Computer say's no."

😡

An hour and a half driving around, wasted. Cut my nose off to spite my face. Sensible option would have been to swap the 6kg and try and change the 3.9 somewhere else. But my feeling of well you then took over.

Now even if the agents have the freedom to impose their own extra rules, what commercial sense does it make to refuse an upsale?!

I have some to try locally but the whole thing is ridiculous. There is a place in Didcot which is apparently a "preferrered partner", maybe they wil actually work to Calor rules instead of making up their own.

Lots of other things also went wrong today, too many to list here. I enjoyed my trip anyway, just ended a bit badly.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
This seems to be a case of false expectation - Calor's grouping rule only apply to Calor Distribution Centres - retail outlets aren't forced to follow them, it's always been that way.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
This seems to be a case of false expectation - Calor's grouping rule only apply to Calor Distribution Centres - retail outlets aren't forced to follow them, it's always been that way.

When I eventually got my first one exchanged at Davan in Weston-Super-Mare, they referred to the Calor groupings and said "yep, no problem, bring it in". Even if they are not forced to follow Calor's grouping, why don't they do so voluntarily? Again, where is the commercial sense in refusing to sell me more of a product, "just because"?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am dreading this, I have one full Calorlite, and an almost empty one, that I was going to swop for a 3.9 calor.
BUT there is a place near Coventry that exchange Calorlites , for £24. They advertise on Ebay. So a visit to my son and another 15 miles, Calorlite exchanged. Happy bunny again.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
...And generally awful day.

"But they're in the same group. Look!" I protested as I waved my iPhone with Calor website under the nose of a crochety old sod on a windswept Gloucestshire industrial estate.
"Oiy don't care wot it sez on there, it's loike fer loike" he ranted back.

The feeling of dread took over late last night, as my gas ran out... completely. Auto changer valve is going on Ebay or in the bin. I think you need to turn on the cylinders in the right order else it uses the "wrong" one. I ended up with two very low cylinders and all of a sudden, my caravan was being supplied by Nord Stream 2. No problem, I'll go and get some more gas in the morning I thought. But then I remembered, I still have a 3.9kg cylinder along side my 6kg. Some may remember the pantomime I went through trying to exchange the first one I had, and I was dreading doing it again for the second one. Well the time came. Went to numerous places. " Sorry, like for like". "Sorry, no".

Rang Go Outdoors this evening

Go Outdoors: "Sorry, we haven't got them in stock"
Me: "If and when you DO have them, can I swap my 3.9 for a 6?"
Go: "Sorry, it's like for like"
Me: "But Calor's rules say I can!"
Go: "Computer say's no."

😡

An hour and a half driving around, wasted. Cut my nose off to spite my face. Sensible option would have been to swap the 6kg and try and change the 3.9 somewhere else. But my feeling of well you then took over.

Now even if the agents have the freedom to impose their own extra rules, what commercial sense does it make to refuse an upsale?!

I have some to try locally but the whole thing is bloody ridiculous. There is a place in Didcot which is apparently a "preferrered partner", maybe they wil actually work to Calor rules instead of making up their own.

Lots of other things also went wrong today, too many to list here. I enjoyed my trip anyway, just ended a bit badly.

I sympathise, I have heard this a lot, though it hasn‘t happened to me yet. it makes no sense at all.

Regarding changing your auto valve, save yourself the money. All I do is attach both bottles and turn one off. when the other one is empty I turn it back on again and change the empty one.

Obviously doing this I lose the advantage of the auto changeover.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When I eventually got my first one exchanged at Davan in Weston-Super-Mare, they referred to the Calor groupings and said "yep, no problem, bring it in". Even if they are not forced to follow Calor's grouping, why don't they do so voluntarily? Again, where is the commercial sense in refusing to sell me more of a product, "just because"?
From the retailers point of view, they might have a contract or arrangement with Calor on which restricts the type gas and cylinder size they stock. If they take a non contracted size in exchange, they may not be able to return it to Calor for it to be credited.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
From the retailers point of view, they might have a contract or arrangement with Calor on which restricts the type gas and cylinder size they stock. If they take a non contracted size in exchange, they may not be able to return it to Calor for it to be credited.

And yet Calor openly publish the bottle groups which can be exchanged.

E51A0651-74DE-45F4-839F-5ED44009DE42.jpeg

John

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I sympathise, I have heard this a lot, though it hasn‘t happened to me yet. it makes no sense at all.

Regarding changing your auto valve, save yourself the money. All I do is attach both bottles and turn one off. when the other one is empty I turn it back on again and change the empty one.

Obviously doing this I lose the advantage of the auto changeover.

John

Or i can put both on when the first one is getting low. Or just remember to put them on in order!

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
That statement is contradictory - it refers to exchanges within the grouping but further on states "only able to offer you one if you have an empty bottle of that particular size to exchange"

You are correct. I am guilty of only reading para 1. But para 2 is doubly contradictory. First it talks about buying a new bottle, it then says you can only exchange like for like.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Although we have had a 7.5kg Safefill for a couple of years, we still have an empty Calorlite cylinder in the garage gathering cobwebs. Maybe one day we will get around to filling it if we are able to go out again.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I thought about getting a safe fill as there is a garage selling autogas down my road. Only the initial cost is eye watering
If you go off grid and can estimate usage then Safefill may look more attractive. Plus there is the residual value of the bottle should you sell it. With only one bottle you can top up when convenient and no wastage of gas within an exchanged cylinder. There was a quite recent thread where a member summarised their sums which were attractive. But it all depends on your usage pattern.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you go off grid and can estimate usage then Safefill may look more attractive. Plus there is the residual value of the bottle should you sell it. With only one bottle you can top up when convenient and no wastage of gas within an exchanged cylinder. There was a quite recent thread where a member summarised their sums which were attractive. But it all depends on your usage pattern.
It took us about 5 years to recoup the outlay, but now in the pound seats. We were not heavy users of gas, but now with more metered pitches it is cheaper to use gas for heating etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts