Another one hooked!

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I work at a Primary School as a School Administrator. We have, on a daily basis, many visitors to our school, and as I am the only office person, I get to have conversations with them all. Some people you just click with ... a man came to our school from our Local Education Authority two weeks ago, I'd spoken to him on the phone, and got to meet him in person. We talked the usual talk pertaining to the school and then he clocked the picture of my OH in our caravan pinned proudly to my noticeboard. There then followed an almighty discussion about the C Word - yes, the Caravan!!! This chap had been thinking of buying a second hand van, due to a recent family bereavement. I couldn't help but effusively tell him the tale of how we'd come by our caravan (went out looking, came back £14,700 poorer owning a fixed bed 4 berth Swift, without even checking to see if it fit on our drive (it did). More talk followed, I recommended this forum, I recommended the PC Magazine, I downloaded our van details for him to look at, I gave him some site suggestions (he has two small daughters), I even gave him our list of accessories so that he could choose what he wanted to buy. We even went as far as to swap mobile numbers and are now friends on a social media site.

All went quiet and suddenly, this weekend, a picture of his lovely van appeared on my 'wall' complete with a heartfelt message and I could just tell that he was as enthusiastic about starting his caravanning adventures as we were nearly 3 years ago. I was thrilled and welcomed him to 'The Club'. We have offered to be a mentor to him and be on the end of the phone should any help be needed.

My point I am trying to make is that I am not the world's most confident person, ordinarily I wouldn't necessary start a conversation with a stranger about anything but get me onto my beloved caravanning adventures and I can't be stopped! He came across as the same mindset as us in as much as he wanted to spend time with his young family and for them to be out in the fresh air, and meeting new people and gaining new experiences as much as possible. We both agreed that it doesn't matter if you are 4 mins, 40 mins or 400 miles from home ... you are not at home!

I look forward to following his family's adventures and feel very warm inside that in a small way, I helped him to have the confidence to go forward and take that leap.

For the majority of us, life is too short and we never know what is around the corner.

I look on my caravan as a bit of a life saver and certainly a positive health benefit and would happily endorse this to all who wish to listen to me rattle on about it!!! :lol:

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Oh Lisa that is so nice, it's lovely to hear a happy story and a real one at that, you should be proud of your self.
Keep us posted. Most of us are nosey anyway. ;)

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Ha ha will do ... I can't wait to see where they go on their first trip. We are off to Baltic Wharf in July but knowing how long it took us to book that weekend, I doubt they'd get in there and the fact that it's closing at the end of the year is not good news either!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
That's a great story Lisa, the new caravanner will have a lot to thank you for as time goes by :)
Non caravanners will never know what they're missing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts