Another royal engagement

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Queen's oldest granddaughter, Zara Phillips, has got engaged to her long-term boyfriend, England rugby union player Mike Tindall.

Good luck to her. I actually met her last year (shared a table) and she was a nice down to earth girl.
smiley-laughing.gif

Don't think we'll get another extra bank holiday, but hey ho. It can only cheer some of us up in this present economic climate.
smiley-cool.gif

Lisa

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes congratulations to the happy couple, Zara is a nice woman and I've also met and spoken with her a few times actually and Mike Tindall. No title no fuss and she's also b good at what she does, plus she's a pretty fair trucker (well horse box).
Although I've been labelled a royal hater I actually just hate the institution of Royaly. Peter Phillips is also a nice guy.

I saw that the Royals are actually only paying a token sum towards the big wedding despite all the talk of them covering the costs and that Westminster Abbey will probably be £2miliion plus out of pocket and will probably run at a loss in 2011. That In my world, is very wrong
smiley-cry.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Good Luck to the happy couple, I had the honour of briefly meeting Princess Anne once and she is regal but paradoxically down to earth at the same time.
As for losses incurred by Westminster Abbey it's a case of swings and roundabouts isn't it?
Never believe anything that you read in the papers (or on internet forums
smiley-laughing.gif
) but if the Abbey stand to lose two million quid even after the Royal Family have had a whipround and chipped in they must charge a tidy old sum for a wedding
smiley-surprised.gif

I wonder what their choirboys get? We got three bob each for a Saturday afternoon wedding, we loved it when there were two on the same Saturday!
Westminster Abbey must have been quids in on the occasion of the Coronation of Her Majesty the Queen and I wouldn't have thought that they'd have been slow to pass round the collection plate at the Princess of Wales' funeral so as I said- it's yer swings and roundabouts innit?

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Parksy - Moderator said:
As for losses incurred by Westminster Abbey it's a case of swings and roundabouts isn't it?
Never believe anything that you read in the papers (or on internet forums
smiley-laughing.gif
) but if the Abbey stand to lose two million quid even after the Royal Family have had a whipround and chipped in they must charge a tidy old sum for a wedding
smiley-surprised.gif

I wonder what their choirboys get? We got three bob each for a Saturday afternoon wedding, we loved it when there were two on the same Saturday!
Then again we should never believe the spin doctors of the Royalty machine. A General Synod member of the church told me that there was indeed some serious concerns over the cost of the wedding. The Abbey will be closed for some time for security reasons and to be prepared for the media coverage and then closed after the wedding whilst it is cleared of all the equipment. The losses will be very substantial
smiley-frown.gif

As the Queen is the head of the Church a £2 million cheque from her and Charlie in the collection shouldn't be a problem really, He's does pretty well out of the duchy after all
smiley-smile.gif
In these times of financial restraint, it would be a huge boost to the moral of the country to hear that they had covered the full costs to the church. And would do Charlies credibility a turn as well.
As for the Choir boys pay. Are not the boys of Westminster Abbey not priveleged to attend Westminster Abbey Choir School a fee paying school that is quite select but the church pays the bulk of the school fees and bursaries are paid for less priveleged children who attend. A friends son was there and when it was Charlie and Diana's wedding, I'm sure he was never paid.

They could have had a double wedding on the 29th and saved us a whole lot more
smiley-wink.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
OmOnWeelz said:
In these times of financial restraint, it would be a huge boost to the moral of the country to hear that they had covered the full costs to the church.

Sorry Om but what would be a huge boost is to hear that the fat cat bankers had repaid the money they robbed, the UK withdrew from the EU saving us billions and I don't mean just the 8 billion it costs us each year in membership, those who refuse to work were made to work for their benefits, the UK finally had control of it's own country again and many other social injustices. No Om, there are bigger scroungers closer to home that cost us multi billions more than royalty. And once again, I'm no royalist, but I do believe in using a sense of proportion. The people in this country have far more to worry about than what it's costing for the wedding or who pays for it. This is a pittance to our debt. Besides, I don't think the church will go bankrupt, do you?
smiley-laughing.gif

Finally I will never be able to live like royalty and neither am I jealous of them so do I look bothered
smiley-smile.gif

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
M'lord. Lets say I wish this young couple all the very best. Zara Phillips does it her way and good on her. She's had a leg up and used it and no one can take away her skill and detrmination for her sport. And well done for MIke Tindall helping her with her training.

Without hi-jacking LMH thread to much. No one moans about the bankers when they a re making the country billion's, Brown was also complicite inn what happened, he rode on the backs of the bankers whilst the going was firm and good but failed to negotiate or prepare for pot holes and rough road deviations. It would make a change for people at the top of the social heap to set an example to the scroungers at the bottom end and to the bankers
smiley-smile.gif

It is strange as to why anybody would be jealous of the Royalty machine. We're happy to have paid our way from both our humble starts and never to have claimed any benefits as against here's your future on a gold platter.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
LMH said:
No politics please, I got a warning about making a political statement.
Thanks.
I'd hardly call my polite explanation as to why your post had been removed a 'warning' Lisa
rolleyes.gif

I sometimes wonder why I bother.
smiley-frown.gif

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'd call it a warning. But maybe that's a bit strong then, it was an email from you advising that you'd removed a post I made. You said 'No party politics on the forum please' and 'the forum isn't about the LibLabCon circus'.

Sorry if you took 'the warning' comment badly.

Lisa

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It's not so much about taking the comment badly as my dislike of being misrepresented Lisa. I also have a copy of my email and it was meant to be a request rather than a 'warning'.
Not to worry anyway, I'll know not to bother with any explanations under similar circumstances from now on.

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
'Sorry Om but what would be a huge boost is to hear that the fat cat bankers had repaid the money they robbed'
smiley-laughing.gif
sorry,laughing so hard must have pressed twice

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Just get real it wasn't exactly robbery. Fat cat bankers and investment bankers and others in the finance sector make the country a lot of money if you care to check it out. That's a big problem for all of us, if the big banks move out of the UK we would be in a real sorry state. Why not ask the politicians who have control over the banks to pay back the money?
Simple answer the politicians were in deep with the banks until the bubble burst and they all got covered. The politicians in power now still need the city boys to earn the UK a bulk of our needs and the fact is it's hard to bite the hand that feeds you.
smiley-laughing.gif

It's like taking a mortgage for your 1st house. Many of us struggle to get 10% but then expect the banks to give us 90%. The guys that are clever enough to make the 90% that's loaned to you expects to get paid well. If you or anyone else thinks it easy why do people take mortgages, bank loans, HP on cars or run up credit bills
smiley-wink.gif

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
OmOnWeelz said:
Just get real it wasn't exactly robbery. Fat cat bankers and investment bankers and others in the finance sector make the country a lot of money if you care to check it out. That's a big problem for all of us, if the big banks move out of the UK we would be in a real sorry state. Why not ask the politicians who have control over the banks to pay back the money?
Simple answer the politicians were in deep with the banks until the bubble burst and they all got covered. The politicians in power now still need the city boys to earn the UK a bulk of our needs and the fact is it's hard to bite the hand that feeds you.
smiley-laughing.gif

hi where the "L" did that come from not robbery strewth do a lousy job and get a big fat bonus
smiley-embarassed.gif
I would like to see anybody else treated so well. if it was not for bailing out the banks the so called big black hole would not be so big.
as for the the big banks moving out do us a favour have you looked who ownes them recently

"It's like taking a mortgage for your 1st house. Many of us struggle to get 10% but then expect the banks to give us 90%. The guys that are clever enough to make the 90% that's loaned to you expects to get paid well."
it is not really that clever you know give someone a loan who you know can afford it charge them anything upto 300% of the loan over the loan period and keep the deeds untill it is all paid up making sure most of the interest is got back before the punter actually pays off any of the original loan. sounds really easy to me. question is how they got it so wrong.
and any way what as all this got to do with a none titled minor royal getting married.it may be more important but so is england losing the 3rd ashes test.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Just to bring this topic back to the 'happy couple', Mike Tindall's maternal grandmother Margaret ran a little shop in Otley in West Yorkshire - where we used to buy our gobstoppers and liquorice root when we were old enough to have pocket money. His father Phil was also brought up and went to school locally and captained the local school and town Rugby teams - and I think went on to work at Barclays Bank! Mike was born in the small general hospital serving the town. His uncle Steve Tindall still lives here in Otley, and I went to school with him. I don't remember Mike's mother, Linda, but she must be a year or two older than me, perhaps. I'm meeting a friend today for lunch - she lived next door to Margaret's shop when she was growing up, so no doubt memories will be refreshed. Another school friend is married to Phil Tindall's best friend from school. They were all very 'normal people.
An article in the local newspaper when Zara Phillips and Mike were first 'an item' showed them visiting Gran in her small flat (which I think was described as a council flat at the time).
I think it's an indication of the times that they have met, and are marrying without royal disapproval or establishment 'tut-tutting' and personally I wish them well.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Val A. said:
I think it's an indication of the times that they have met, and are marrying without royal disapproval or establishment 'tut-tutting' and personally I wish them well.

Correct Val and it's also the point I'm trying to put over although without going political a comparison can't be made.

What I would like to point out to OM regarding his support of bankers is this. I'm not criticising banks but some of those who have robbed this country.
Take Fred Goodwin. For his failure he was rewarded with a lump sum plus almost £1million a year in pension. This was reduced to around £350k after the uproar and officialdom getting involved. He received this money because he was given the option of retiring early rather than being sacked. If he was sacked he would still have received a pension of £220k.
People in factories on production lines also make money for the country but a lot have either lost or now have reduced pensions which were a pittance to start with. Also, if they had done half of what Goodwin did they would have no option of retiring early and would have lost their pension.
Do me a favour Om, ask your mate Fred to pay for Westminster Abbey. He could probably do that with the change out of his ass pocket ... heh! heh! heh!
smiley-laughing.gif

The price of failure is totally different to those who fail in big business and those on the shop floor
smiley-wink.gif

Good luck to all the royals and those who no longer want to be royals like Zara and a merry Christmas to you all
smiley-smile.gif

I've just copied the URL of this post and emailed it to lizzie@windsor.er.org Hopefully after she's read it I might get an invite to Sandringham
smiley-smile.gif

If so there will be no reason to bow when I pass going to church Wendy
smiley-laughing.gif

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I've just copied the URL of this post and emailed it to lizzie@windsor.er.org Hopefully after she's read it I might get an invite to Sandringham
smiley-smile.gif

If so there will be no reason to bow when I pass going to church Wendy
smiley-laughing.gif

I was hoping to get an invite, because I fanced Phil Tindall like mad when I was young, and might have been Mike Tindall's mother if I'd played my cards right!
My friend and I were reminiscing about Margaret Shepherd's shop - and about the lovely cylindrical ice lollies she used to make, which if sucked went white whilst your lips and tongue went bright orange!

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Never considered myself as a friend of the banking fraternity. But the likes of Goodwin normally have a track record of working and som work prowess in their field of Business, That's why they get a fat pay packet
smiley-undecided.gif
They can also be brought down a peg or two, as has happened.
On the other hand, how does the queen and others in the royal family do money wise?
smiley-wink.gif
They don't havr to do anything for it, it's handed to them on a platter. Yes they do Royal duties, but it doesn't matter if they are good bad or stick there noses in where not wanted or make risque remarks that others have to take as humour. Of course we could get rid f them but they have a spin dept working full chatt to protect them from to much scrutiny.
As nice a young woman Zara Pillips is, she has taken what was gifted to her and done very well combining it with her hard honed skills. But lets never forget that she has gifted the wealth of having her immediate family behind her and a trust fund from her great grandmother that was pretty well enhanced by Royalty tax free living for many years
smiley-laughing.gif

Try emailing lizzie@windsor.er.org and asking how much she and the firm have salted away compared to Fred
smiley-wink.gif

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
OmOnWeelz said:
smiley-laughing.gif

It's like taking a mortgage for your 1st house. Many of us struggle to get 10% but then expect the banks to give us 90%. The guys that are clever enough to make the 90% that's loaned to you expects to get paid well. If you or anyone else thinks it easy why do people take mortgages, bank loans, HP on cars or run up credit bills
smiley-wink.gif
hang on,what the bankers do is not for "our country" but is for themselves and their shareholders,if they make money for this country then its not out of kind heartedness its just a circumstance of doing business nothing else.
I cannot see any coleralation between them loaning to us, something quite easy and small in monetary figurers , and their blatant gambling, which is something i certainly would not label "clever"and look at the catastrophic effect it has had on us as a whole.
The reason why people take out loans mortgages ect is to buy a physical product, even if its a holiday and in the main they will budget for the repayments, Clearly if these Bankers were half as bright as you seem to think, then they would apply the same principles, something they continuously fail do do, as half of the time they deal in "possibilities" and nothing of proper physical value!.
Example, which banks that have been bailed out, were bailed out because "we" the normal person on the street had defaulted on our repayments to the banks concerned ? Answer none. They have all got into trouble because they are GREEDY B'stards.
Even northern rock the first real casualty was still a going concern because "we" were paying our mortgages, they got into trouble not because of us, but the Greed for the fast buck and taken on stupid risk.......Please don't try to defend these people....
smiley-frown.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I realise you take the Republican stance Om but why would you want two republics. We already have one, the EU. As I've said before, although I under quoted, it costs us 8 1/2 billion quid just to be a member of this EU European state. We have a president, Mr Van Rumpypumpy, plus seven, yes seven, vice presidents. Rumpypumpy is president of the EU but wait, there's more. There is also a president of the EU Commission, Mr Barroso. I haven't got the amount of vice presidents for him, sorry.
So that's a president of the EU and another for the EU Commission
smiley-undecided.gif
hmmmmm? I wont even insult your intelligence Om on their salaries or pensions.
BTW there is also another president. One for the EU Court of Justice.
Then there is their Empire building. They are now opening consulates throughout the world despite each country having it's own diplomats. In charge of this is Baroness Ashton, a person whose only experience of business or international diplomacy was as CE of a NHS trust. She was given this position to sweeten our last government so they would pass the Lisbon treaty without giving any problems. This lady of no diplomatic experience is having built a multi million pound palace for herself and her minions. All these people have just awarded themselves a £400 per month pay rise. This is not to mention their mega thousand expenses.
No Om, don't talk to me about waste and unaccountability. The royal family are left on the starting blocks when it comes to the EU. Did you vote for any of these wasters or even get a chance? And you think a republic would be good for the country? At least the system of government we have at the moment is open and we get to vote on people who we would hopefully like to govern us, not for people who have different values and cultures to our own to govern us with laws from the size of fruit that can be sold to who we can jail, deport or allow to vote. The meddling ******* have now even told us we cannot restrict the amount of non EU immigrants who come to this country. Thankfully the government is amending our law which will take precedence over what the eurocrats say
smiley-smile.gif

God save the Queen (stands to attention singing national anthem icon thingy).
United_Kingdom.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts