Another 'snaking' issue.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I understand the reasons for snaking but when you see a caravan on its side and one of the reasons stated by somebody that it could have been the way the caravan was loaded that has caused this surely you would know if it was a load problem straight away because as soon as you leave for your destination you would feel this as soon as you start to tow and not only realise this when your 100 mile away on the M5 somewhere and your caravan starts to snake badly. I try to keep to a speed of between 50-60 MPH when possible, and only when conditions allow, and theres been many a time when another caravanner has passed me doing at least 70. Now in my book thats dangerous and I dont care how many years of experience you have under your belt theres less chance of avoiding having an accident at this speed. It seems to me that the more years people get of towing caravans the more complacent they get. The speed limit goes up to 60 MPH when towing and people use this as a guide, when it should be road conditions that dictate, that doesnt mean to say that if conditions permit you can go to 80, now that would be silly wouldnt it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I totally agree with you Paul. Many times I have been passed on the M5 whilst maintaining a steady 50 - 60 mph by 4x4s towing large caravans which make me look as if I am crawling. My wife often says why aren't you going faster and when told the speed we are doing she uses a few expletives to describe the idiots which are not printable here. There should be more motorway patrols to pull these so called reputable and respectable caravaners in and read the law to them. This type of person is just as dangerous, possibly more so, than the slow crawling caravaner. As you say common sense must dictate but these speeds ara not common sense but lunacy.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul, one reason for seeing overturned vans miles from home due to snaking problems may, just may, be due to borderline loading, excessive speed and then being overtaken by a large lorry, whose bow wave sets off an uncontrollable snake.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I also totally agree with you on this topic of speeding whilst towing. Having had a accident in 1990 I now only tow between 50-60mph regardless of whether every caravan is passing me. I also say to myself "hope he/she has their fingers crossed" when I see them flying down th road often with children onboard.I also advise anybody towing to keep a good distance between vehicles in front and never go down an incline at above 50 mph.

people must have been written thousands of letters on this topic and IMHO the contents of most giving good solid advice on towing and these people flaunt them at their peril.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
paul, a few years ago we were returning from spain when i noticed a car towing a caravan weaving in & out of the traffic as if he had no caravan on the back, he soon pasted me & he was stiil weaving in & out of the traffic as if their was no caravan on the back. a few miles further a head i was able to over take him , not because i was speeding like him but because i had maintaened the same speed & read the road ,my wife said his face told a story, how dare someone over take him ,so as soon as he cauld he was behind me , as imoved aside he was overtaking me, luckly he was in the middle of a 3 lane motorway as the caravan took control of his car , the sight of his wife & children sreaming is somethig that i will always remember but luckily for them i was still reading the road & so were a few others & we were able to bring the motorway traffic to a halt .i dont know if he caravan was correctly loaded ,there was no lorries overtaking , no cross wind, no tyre blow out, purfect road condictions ....just stupidity

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Brian has got the answer totally correct. The nut behind the steering wheel. Why oh why do people think they are in the grand national for caravans when they go off for the weekend.

The working week is stressful enough without making the weekends the same.

Chill out take it steady I say. You've got the bed on the back so what if it takes an extra 30 mins to get down the M5 from Brum.

By the way thats just by doing 55Mph instead of 60Mph.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I agree wholeheartedly. I just wonder how many of those that say that anything over the legal limit in the UK is unsafe aren't the same people that bomb down the French autoroutes at 130kph just because it's legal to do so. Surely the outfit doesn't suddenly become any safer as soon as you get on the other side of the Channel.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The point that all speeders miss, whether solo or especially towing, is that it makes very little difference to your journey time on our crowded roads. If you have to drive on a mixture of motorways and A roads, and keeping to the speed limits more or less, then you'll be lucky to average much over 45mph. I do about 40000 solo miles a year, about 80% motorways, and with all the hold ups, in 2.5 years & 110,000 miles my car's trip computer tells me that my average speed is only 46.7 mph. The other major issue is that as your towing speed increases, so does your fuel consumption by a significant margin. Where permitted towing at about 60mph, uses about 24mpg, towing in France at 70mph, reduces this to 19-20mpg, 65mph uses about 22mpg so why rush? It costs a lot more and is more stressful! A solo trip to the New Forest takes me 2.5 hours, towing also takes me 2.5 hours!, thanks to the slow A35 in Dorset, where ther are very few safe overtaking opportunities.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Everyone in this topic has made a common mistake of assuming that driving over the legal limit (60mph on motorway) is somehow dangerous. There is one thing i have learn't in my working life is that Never Ever Assume anything, it must be proved first, yet no one on this posting has stated any evidence in the form of facts/figures tests etc.

Shiraz, you state that you should leave a good gao between the car infront, yet there is evidence to show that an outfit will in fact stop quicker than a solo car, but you assumed it would take longer to stop so you have given misinformtion.

Why should your speed be restricted to 50mph downhill? where is your evidence? or are you just assuming again?

Brian to suggest that "the Nut" behind the wheel is the sole cause of an accident is a rather stupid statement. 3 yrs ago i did an advanced motorists course and part of the course covered the causes of accidents, It was most enlightening, more often than not an accident was caused by someone not directly involved in it, in other words they drove on not realising they had been the direct cause of the accident. Accidents are often the result of many factors, However I agree that weaving about with an outfit is not a sensible mode of driving.

Steve, drive at 55 or 60 down the motorway? depends if you have two kids in the back of the car asking "are we there yet?" while beating the carp out of each other .............I'll take 60 please.

Lutz, why is it that the french germans etc allow outfits to travel at speeds greater than the UK, do the French and Germans carelessly allow their citizens to drive at unsafe speeds or have they made an informed descesion?

The capability of new cars is very much different from when the speed laws were introduced and the caravan chassis, although simple in design is capable of being towed to a much higher speed than 60.

The problem is not with the speed being to high ( last year I towed at a steady 70 right across france) but with an inappropriate speed for the road conditions. remember speeds limits for roads is just that a limit that doesn't mean driving at the limit all the time but only when it is safe to do so. If it is blowing a gale, raining and the road surface is very poor then 50 would be inappropriate, but if it is dry, no wind, good visibility, good road surface, wide carriageway then 60 or day i say 70 is very feasible.

Anyone got any evidence and I mean real hard facts to the contrary?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As you say yourself, accidents are caused mainly by driving at speeds inappropriate to the road and weather conditions. Road conditions includes the type of terrain (i.e. whether flat or hilly). You question why speeds should be restricted going downhill. It is a fact that outfits are liable to become less stable when going downhill. Even the French have realised that and post specific speed limits for caravans on quite a lot of affected stretches.

Your statement that you would rather drive faster than have the kids in the back 'beating the carp out of each other' sounds as though you'd be prepared to take more risks in order to shorten the journey time. Aren't you contradicting yourself in your arguements?

As for the French and Germans allowing faster speeds, OK it does apply to the French but you're wrong about the Germans. France has the highest allowable speed limit for caravans of any European country and is quite an exception. By far and away the majority only allow 80kph. Although Germany does not have a general speed limit for solo cars, caravans are normally also limited to 80kph (100kph under certain conditions). The very fact that the Germans make such a big distinction between solo cars and car/caravans shows how serious the issue of towing is taken.

The trouble with higher speed limits is that they suggest that it is safe to make full use of what is allowed regardless of what the actual conditions allow. The large number of accidents in fog are proof of this.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
regarding downhill speed restrictions, this brings into question what percentage gradient should be restricted? I prefer the old system of 1:6 as its easier to understand so I will use that. A 1:4 is very steep and common sense should tell you to slow down but a 1:20 is shallow, would that pose a danger and need restricting? or would you use a bit of common sense and feather the throttle?

My main beef is the restriction on motorways of only 60mph, as I said I towed quite happily all day at 70mph without a snake at all, in fact with a loss of concentration on my speed I did touch 80mph without realising it such was the stability of the outfit.

Lutz to say I would take risks to shorten the journey, that is a rather foolish statement as once again you are assuming something you do not know about. Please note I have a totaly clean licence and have done for the last 23 yrs. I do not see how travelling at 60 instead of 55 on a Uk motorway is dangerous! The consequences of an accident at these speeds will be just the same ................unless you tow with a Panzer!

Lutz .......... get out of 2nd gear

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Captain

You see, you can put together a sensible posting. - - Lets consider some of the points you make.

Your opening paragraph makes a startling statement, but its needs some clarification. What do you mean by Dangerous? I assume you are referring to the danger of loosing driving control resulting from speed induced instability. In your seventh paragraph you state that it is possible to need to reduce speed to suit road conditions. By recognising that changing conditions will affect the stability of an outfit you are acknowledging that there is danger. If the roads condition makes you believe that you should reduce your speed below the stated speed limit then you have decided that it can be dangerous to exceed the stated speed limit. You are defeated by your own posting.

Drawing on your own insistence on using hard evidence, where is your verified and validated evidence that an outfit will stop quicker than a solo car in all cases.. I recall from other postings on this site that some people find that a car with ABS may have a shorter stopping distance than the solo car, but what about cars without ABS, and those towing trailers without brakes, not to mention the road conditions. My view is that the heavier a moving vehicle is the more energy the brakes need to dissipate to bring it to a halt. Given that drivers do not change their brakes for more powerful brakes when towing and caravan brakes are still simple drums, there is logic to the thought that a bigger rig MAY need more space to pull up safely.

Fortunately we are still in a relatively free world, Shiraz chooses not to exceed 50 on a downhill section and Steve can travel at 55 on the motorways if he chooses, you can travel at 60 if you wish. Lets turn it round and ask to see your hard evidence that it is safe to go down and incline at more than 50 in all vehicles.

Whilst Lutz posts very well argued and supported responses, even I don't believe he is the official spokesman of the French, German and British Governments for decisions on speed limits, so your question is bit unfair.

If you are old enough (and sadly I am) you may remember that during the late 1970' we had an oil crisis, and fuel was rationed. The government decided to impose reduced national speed limits on all roads to help preserve fuel stocks. This shows that safety is not the only consideration when speed limits are set., When speed is a consideration, it is frequently to do with the safety of other road side users, or the fact that the road may pass through a residential area or near a school. In fact speed limits are not set to reflect the capability of the vehicles but exclusively on other factors.

I believe that you are correct when you say that both cars and caravans have improved over the years and it is probable that outfits could attain higher speeds than outfits of say the 1960's, but just because you can do more that the speed limit does not mean you have to, taking your argument further, as all 4X4s can go across poor terrain should the drivers be allowed to drive on all the soft verges or across all fields?

The hardest fact about speed, is that the faster any vehicle goes the bigger the mess and the less survivable when it does crash.

I have a problem with your approach of" I want to be able to do it unless there is hard evidence to say I can't", it is rather selfish and It doesn't recognise that there can be an impact on others.

Under those conditions conflict can arise. In the UK we do have a democracy of some type, and to be able to enjoy the benefits of such a society requires that its members do adhere to certain norms of behaviour and especially tolerance and consideration of others.

In terms of driving, as you say the conditions will dictate the appropriate speed for any given vehicle, and of course the relevant speed limit.

Life is rarely made up of black and white choices , there are so many shades of grey, so consider softening your approach to:

"If its legal and I won't be offending or harming anyone them I may do it"

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Please don't get me wrong, Captain. I'm not suggesting that anything over 60mph is inherently unsafe. I'm sure that the Porsche Cayenne which broke the World Record by towing a regular production caravan at over 140mph was safe but then the road was straight and level, there was no other traffic and (I assume) the driver was an expert. But, as John L also states, there's an awfully big grey area between such ideal conditions and driving down the M5 on a holiday weekend. Unfortunately, the law can't cater for each and every condition in between, otherwise things would get just too complicated.

So, what I am saying is that considering the level of experience of the average driver, the traffic density on most roads today and the state-of-the-art of current technical equipment, there is no justification to raise the speed limit. The danger is just too great that drivers would think that what is allowed should at all times also be possible.

Of course, on endless straight stretches of almost flat motorway and little traffic, an experienced driver could go faster but it would be difficult to differentiate for such conditions. Electronic speed limit signs which automatically adjust the speed limit to suit the conditions would differentiate and they do exist but the cost of covering the whole motorway network with such a feature would be prohibitive. As it is, the speed limits are set for average conditions and these seldom allow more than 60mph safely.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lutz.......... A well balanced view to my thought provoking posting and I think you're bang on with that view.

You just got to imagine late at night an empty motorway, ideal conditions, 70mph would be safely achieved but to have that limit as the norm would, as you say, allow drivers to believe that this limit is acceptable at all times ............... speed limits while being the compulsory max speed doesn't mean that a driver should drive at those speeds all the time, the prevailing road conditions dictate speed. Driving above 60mph on a busy stretch of motorway eg spag junction is asking for trouble, but north of manchester eg penrith doesn't have the same dangers at all, well apart from falling asleep through boredom!

Speeds in France are higher on the motorways because it is safer to do those speeds because there is not the traffic on them and the quality of the surface is higher. I can remember driving from Quimper to mont st michel and for about an 1hr of the 5hr journey I was passed by 9 cars! even the kids were playing spot the car!

It comes down to don't exceed the limits and drive within them dependant on the road/trafiic conditions and you will arrive safely.

I don't agree with the Steve leo about doing a steady 55 all the way and only arrive 30mins late, firstly the road conditions might be that it is only safe to do 50, and secondly why not take your thinking further, why not 50 all the way and only take another 30 mins to get there, or why not 45mph and be another 30 mins later? Not the right attitude ..........drive at a speed which is safe for the conditions.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John l ............ you see you can talk gobblydeegook..................... try reading my posting properly and try to understand it
Perhapse I've been reading to many ROO postings.

seriously, I read your posting several times paragrapgh by paragragh and tried to construct cogent responses but based on my perspective. They may be long winded, but I belive they aspire to your level logic.

Comments anyone?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Captain K, I agree with your comments, and what a change to see there are some people in the caravan fraternity with sensible thoughts as to some of the nonsense being spouted on this forum. I have recently travelled 1000 miles on Britains roads with the van in-tow and my speed was a constant 60/65. I am confident towing at this speed, with van loaded correctly my outfit is very stable and me passing trucks when I want to pass is far more acceptable than having the roles reversed. I have passed vans that were barely doing 50mph, and that speed on a motorway, with trucks in front, at the side, and behind, doesnt bare thinking about. They say take more time and enjoy the trip, no thanks, I like it the way it is, and I dont have white knuckles when I get there. I have never come across so many people, (who must have been model children),that criticise what others do.They seem obsessed with this speed thing, as if every van that goes over 60 is on a death mission, and were not worthy of being a caravanner. Jeremy Clarkson isnt far away when he labels vanners the scourge of Britains roads, with comments like some on here I tend to agree with him.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I think the main reason for the controversy here is that different people are talking about different circumstances and then comparing two sets of conditions which can't be compared. Whereas Colin, Shiraz, Steve, etc. are talking about towing under conditions of normal traffic density where one is constantly confronted by other drivers of probably only average experience, the Captain and Geordie are talking about near ideal conditions with little traffic and experienced drivers. Allowing for this difference in perspective, there's truth in what everybody is saying. The problem only starts when one mixes the 2, i.e. people towing at 70mph during peak traffic or towing at 40mph on a nearly empty motorway, so causing a potential hindrance.

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
I note the comments about speeding 4x4's towing caravans however there are a few issues that I would raise. I have accidentally towed a 17ft caravan at 90 with an auto Range Rover. Once I noticed my speed I very quickly corrected the situation. The problem occured because it was very difficult to register the trailer on behind due to the power and weight of the tow vehicle. Being Auto also meant you were not noticing the gear changes on the hills.

I now tow our twin axle caravan this a TD4 Freelander the caravan is about 70-75% of the cars weight but the combination is very stable. I tow at 65-70 on the speedo and tow at this speed for three reasons.

1. The combination is very very stable,

2. When you read the speed from my GPS which is more accurate thatn the cars speedo I am travelling in reality between 55-65 MPH and

3. At this speed I am causing no danger to either the cars occupants or other road users and am keeping up with the flow of traffic.

Also when doing this I set the cruise control so the combination just travels like a train.

And before someone comes up with a smart remark. I am a very experience tower and have towed some very large, heavy loads great distances so I am well able to guage the capabilities of the vehicle and caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Like I said before, the Porsche Cayenne towing at over 140mph was probably safe, too. But this was under ideal conditions, similar to what you probably encountered when you were doing 90. But you only need some idiot pulling out to overtake right in front of you without looking in his rear view mirror and any necessary emergency evasive action on your part will very soon demonstrate that the safe limits of towing at higher speeds have been exceeded.

If everyone drove at a speed appropriate to the conditions, one could drop speed limits altogether and that would apply regardless of whether driving solo or towing. But we don't live in a perfect world and too many people on the road make mistakes. Speed limit are there to reduce the risks of the results of such mistakes.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I use the M5 quite a bit and I get frustrated when stuck behind someome crawling along at 50 - 55 mph as this measn I have to stay in a lower gear and the turbo charger remians running using up more fuel. As my outfit is quite capable of doing 80 mph or more I generally overtake, but it is very rare that I will exceed 60 mph. Every one should drive at what they are capable of doing, but certainly not at more than 60 mph unless overtaking and then only a reasonable amount over the limit. It is not always badly loaded caravanms that oveturn, but bad roads such as the M5 south of Gloucester. there are ruts in that road that must be at least 3 inches deep. catching one of those is enough to flip a unit on its side whether you are doing 40 or 70 mph.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I use the M5 quite a bit and I get frustrated when stuck behind someome crawling along at 50 - 55 mph as this measn I have to stay in a lower gear and the turbo charger remians running using up more fuel. As my outfit is quite capable of doing 80 mph or more I generally overtake, but it is very rare that I will exceed 60 mph. Every one should drive at what they are capable of doing, but certainly not at more than 60 mph unless overtaking and then only a reasonable amount over the limit. It is not always badly loaded caravanms that oveturn, but bad roads such as the M5 south of Gloucester. there are ruts in that road that must be at least 3 inches deep. catching one of those is enough to flip a unit on its side whether you are doing 40 or 70 mph.
A rut 3 inches deep should certainly not flip a caravan over. I towed my caravan for several hundred miles over unsurfaced roads in Iceland and also over Belgian pav

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts