Another 'snaking' issue.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 10, 2005
Visit site
Well said Geordie i to have recently done a trip to Taunton and then Ipswich sitting comfortably at 60/65,with van loaded correcty and stabilizer fitted there is no problem.

I will say that there is a small percentage of speed freaks towing caravans as in trucks,solo cars motorcycles etc,but to sit at 30,40,50 on a motorway would be just as bad.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
We have digressed a bit from the subject of the original post in this thread. While the risk of instability undeniably increases with speed, I'm sure that people towing at 30 or 40 on a motorway don't do so for that reason. They are probably just overcautious or inexperienced individuals who wouldn't drive much faster even when not towing.

Jul 10, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lutz sorry to appear to have gone off subject,but if certain driver's find it difficult towing maybe it's time to give it up.

As i said previously and Geordie said it would be a lot better getting to your destination without feeling you had just done a hard days work, forgot to mention both Taunton and Ipswich trips 900/1000 mile round trips done safely and without stress to all involved.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul:

I could not agree with you more.

My wife and I live in Torquay, but we are caravanners too, and regularly travel all over Devon and Cornwall on business.

The reason that a lot of caravans turn over is that the drivers are travelling MUCH TOO FAST. Plain and simple.

Unfortunately there a re 9like in all walks of life), big headed drivers who know it all, can't be shown anything, and just will not keep to speed limits.

I've posted on this subject for about 5 years, and believe me, living in a prime holiday area, we've seen it all.

What always saddens me is this.

It's probably their own families that will get injured, but worse than that, they risk killing others by their selfish and stupid driving.

We carry a video camera in the car, and we have already taken film of several of these clowns. The worst ones, we are now going to pass to the police.

I see the appalling aftermath of some of these episodes in the course of my work, and believe me, it's not something that you'd want to deal with.

PLEASE SLOW DOWN !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Captain Kangaroo.....you amaze me.

On another forum on this very site (and I quote) you say

" Captain Kangaroo

7 Jul 2005 10:16 PM In reply to keith ........... read my posting it reads "I keep to speed limits", I have a completely clean licence and have done for the last 20 yrs, despite the stoopid speed cameras which keep the roads safe oooh for all of 30 metres"

And yet here you are on this forum stating that you travelled at 70 and 80 mph!!!

I think the point is made pal!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yes, Keith, the Captain never ceases to amaze me, too. His arguments are often filled with pure emotion and with little or no rational content. However, you are also in danger of loosing perspective yourself. In your statement of 8:28 this morning you say that most accidents occur because people are going to fast. Nothing wrong with that but in your next reply to the Captain's response you are implying, without reservation, that 70mph is too fast. Too fast for what? For the conditions you mentioned earlier yes but does that also apply to someone towing on a deserted motorway through flat country with next to no bends in totally dry weather and good visibility as well? Surely the conditions are all important and we can agree that going too fast for the conditions is what we are all really talking about.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes, Keith, the Captain never ceases to amaze me, too. His arguments are often filled with pure emotion and with little or no rational content. However, you are also in danger of loosing perspective yourself. In your statement of 8:28 this morning you say that most accidents occur because people are going to fast. Nothing wrong with that but in your next reply to the Captain's response you are implying, without reservation, that 70mph is too fast. Too fast for what? For the conditions you mentioned earlier yes but does that also apply to someone towing on a deserted motorway through flat country with next to no bends in totally dry weather and good visibility as well? Surely the conditions are all important and we can agree that going too fast for the conditions is what we are all really talking about.
Thanks Lutz for thinking me amazing, you are of course completely right!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just returned from a fortnight round trip from my home to Cambridge (Cherry Hinton CC Site) for one week and then to Chatsworth Site nr Bakewell Derbyshire altogether a round trip of around of 500 miles.

my journey was A1(M) A14 M11 (J11)

journey to Chatsworth M11(J11) A14 to M1 (J29) Chesterfield to Baslow (Chatsworth CC Site.) journey home Baslow thro Chesterfield to M1 M18 a1M home

I averaged 40mph I averaged 35.6mpg and started and finished stress free I adopted the driving policy to drive in the "slow" lane at a speed where all lorries and quite a few caravan outfits passed me. I discussed this policy with a lorry driver at a truck stop and he said that now that lorries were governed in speed that it was easier and safer for lorries to pass caravans when a caravan travelled at the sensible speed of around 50mph. than for a caravan to overtake a lorry going at 65mph for to do this the van is breaking the speed limit of 60mph and sometimes having to overtake in the RH lane in which caravans are not allowed. agai in my opinion speed kills and what is an additional hour or two travelling time on a journey when your life and possibly the lives on persons dependant on you.

I am well retired and when I was younger thought that I was immortal but that illusion was sharp shattered when I had my incident which involved a written off caravan. and I repeat SPEED KILLS - IMHO

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all , yet another subject hijacked by the capitan, Captain why do you have to resort to insulting people who are giving there opinion i thought thats what this forum was for( OPINIONS )NOT INSULTS .Tom

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tom, I was only trying to be helpful to shiraz. Some people don't realise that they have become too old to carry on driving, they often wonder why drivers get annoyed with them, its because they drive too slowly for the road conditions with or without a van on the back.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Captain Kangeroo - Why dont you kepp your personal opinions to yourself. and remember you are also in the queue of life
and if you drive as fast as your mouth goes you have not long to go. - and when you pass me I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Jul 28, 2005
Visit site
I asked the question about towing speeds noseweights etc on the tech page. New to towing and having great difficulty in towing above 50mph. Elddis AVANTE 524 approx 1100kg. Using blade stabiliser. I drive a 3.9v8 Discovery but seem to be all over the place nearly loosing the lot when i went above 55mph.

What am I doing wrong??

Dealer told me caravan is light on nose and should try about 75 to 100kg. How do i acheive this weight and check it is correct.

I have been putting Gas bottles,tools, empty water containers in cubby in front. Then putting TV, chairs etc near front of van etc not carrying much else. I think 75 kg to 100kg is some weight to load. Any advice accepted with thanks. All i want is 60mph and to feel comfortable while driving.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Although your Discovery can take 100kg noseweight, I somehow doubt whether the caravan is OK with such a high noseload. Better check the owner's manual. Having said that, apart from ensuring proper load distribution, i.e. everything as low and as close as possible to the axle of the caravan, not forgetting a reasonable balance between left and right, set the tyre pressure to the top limit of what is recommended for both your car and your caravan. If all that fails, find someone with a different car and try towing the caravan behind that to see whether that makes any difference.

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi

For your Avante 524 you need 80kg noseweight.

Second, check your towball height is 370-420mm to centre without van hitched. This ensures you are 'nose down' If your tyre pressures are correct you shouldn't have a problem.

Bob

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts