Another sorento question

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Contemplating changing our tug and thought we had found a replacement, however out of curiosity we also decided to look at the Kia Sorento and had a test drive in an 04 XT. Big mistake we loved it, one question I have is that by modern stands the diesel lump sounded quite loud, we have been driving diesels now for 15 years so know that diesels are a bit nosier, does the engine quiten when it warms up?

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Del

My friend who has a sorrento says the same thing, I have only heard it warm and it is always quiet (as a deisel goes)

Also, I have never heard of one with a bad engine, they seem very reliable.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Del,

I have the 2.5XS manual and yes they are noisy at start up but within a mile or so the engine does go quiet. I have also read a lot of mails that the MPG is pretty rough so over the past couple of months I have been doing regular MPG checks. Combined I am returning 37 mpg and motorway work getting 46-7 which I am very pleased with. I have not had a chance to check all urban type checks as yet. The tank is quite tapered and the gauge did not move for approx 200 miles and looking at the predection it looked if it was going to return 800 miles to a 80 ltr tank but alas this was not so, but 600+ is acheivable. If you have any other questions re the vehicle please E mail and I will try to answer the questions.

As a tow car I have not had the bar fitted yet as I will leave that till around Feb- March. I have had 4 X 4s before and this has to date been a excellent machine and the Kia dealer has been great with fantastic service and back up.

Rob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the info folks. We were all set to Swap our trusty 2.2diesel Frontera for a 3.2 V6 Frontera and get an LPG conversion. The Frontera we were contemplating was lovely but having looked at the Sorento it makes our fronty look plane. cant remember the last time I saw a vehicle at that price with so many toys in it. We will be going for a test drive in a week or so, my only concern is that the dealer can fit our current pioneer entertainment and SAt Nav in it . Did look at a couple of manuals but the 5 speed auto seems to be a nice smooth box.

Only downside is the px figure for our W reg Fronty is a lot less than i was hopping for. Although Kia dealer has offered the same as the Vauxhall dealer.

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I have had a Sorento XS auto for nearly 12 months and am really pleased with it. There is not as much load space as in my last TD5 but it is a gvery good tow car, credible in the rough, and the auto box seems to have the knack of being in the right gear whenever required. The engine does get quieter and is not at all noisy (for a diesel) when it as run for a few moments. If you want to see what the Sorento's get up to around the world try http://www.sorentoclub.com/ there is a UK Forum link Expect a new diesel engine to take up to 20000 miles before its fuly run in, and the fuel consumption is not bad fora +2 tonne car, but I cannot get anywhere near 40+ on motorways. Low 30s only.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Hi; I have owned my new XS Auto for around 2 months now and it does sound like a bag of nails at low speeds and especially when cold. I still own my (old) Mercedes C250 Turbo Diesel which is considerably quieter and smoother - and thsi with 126000 miles on teh clock. However, the Sorento is not a Mercedes. That said, it's a great vehicle and tows my Senator like a dream. Must get it re-chipped though ebcause 140 bhp is a bit tame for a vehicle of thei size and weight !

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Had our Sorento XS now 18 months, & don't find it that loud exept at start up & then for only a mile or so.

It's a great tow car & i've had no probs with it exept the alloys pitting, & the dealer changed those without any fuss .

Andy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts