Another Tow Car/Solo Car Question

Oct 12, 2024
Visit site
Hello all,

New to Caravanning (I don’t own one yet), and new to the forum.

Forgive me, as I appreciate these questions are asked daily, however I have spent months of researching, reading forums, websites, watching every caravan video on YouTube and visiting them to learn myself and understand everything Caravan, before I ultimately buy, ensuring I’m not going in blind, and despite all that, and searching these forums, I can’t find an answer to my circumstances I was hoping you could help with.

After months of trying layouts in person with my family, the likes of a Sprite Major 6 TD layout appear at this stage in our life to work out best. I considered the likes of the 304, but figured it was too small, despite awning, and needed the separation from children and full shower.

With that, models we are looking at with that layout, typically range from 1400 to 1550 MTPLM.

I see a lot of questions about tow cars and max tow, but never really a deep discussion on solo driving, and the recommendations from people like yourselves who already have caravans, and use the tow car as your primary car, and what you would do/change.

My current vehicle is a 1.5 Diesel Auto Nissan Qashqai, Gross weight 1975, Train Weight 3475, Tow Weight 1500, Kerb Weight 1475.

I appreciate that the recommend tow for that vehicle would be around 1250, and I haven’t been able to locate a van which would give a similar layout to the Major 6 TD, and even at 100% of the kerb weight depending on experience, It still would be pushing it, and likely above the max tow.

Therefore change of car appears needed if I’m to proceed, and likely future proof to some extent any future van.

One of my main queries is a vehicle which can comfortably and safely tow a van at around 1500/1600kg, but which will also be my permanent Solo Car, and finding the balance for MPG and comforts, as my current vehicle is top Spec, all the mod cons, and I hate to see it go!

I drive on average solo around 200 miles a week, and get on average 56.4mpg.

My budget is unlikely to allow a BMW/Audi/Porsche/Range Rover/Polestar if I’m to keep a similar age/spec as my current car.

Therefore the cars which kept jumping out where a Sorento/Tiguan/Koraq, which in themselves are quite different, others such as the Xtrail/Kuga I looked at didn’t appear to hit the weights.

I appreciate I won’t get anywhere near 50+MPG with a heavy tow car, but wondered if the Sorento, which I was looking to buy is overkill? And appears to be around. 30/35mpg best case even motorway driving?

Or based on my budget and the sizes discussed, is this the best option to future proof to an extent a bigger caravan? (I.e, when experienced, towing to an example of 1900 kerb weight of a Sorento, which is likely more than ever enough) Or if the Karoq or something similar you can suggest makes sense as it can handle the weight and get better MPG.

Or if anyone who has a Sorento or any car discussed can advise better on the MPG! As coming down from 54 to 30 on Urban/motorway driving is likely to be a reality check!

I’m hoping you can advise on your collective experience of the perfect middle ground to 80% Solo Driving, and then being able to tow a decent size family caravan countless times a year, whilst appreciating it will cost more!

Thanks!

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
I appreciate I won’t get anywhere near 50+MPG with a heavy tow car........
Maybe think about a saloon or estate rather than a SUV/4×4. My Mercedes E250d has a kerb weight of almost 1800kg and will return 50+ mpg on a decent run on motorways and good A roads (obviously much less round town and when towing). The estate is closer to 1900kg and has self leveling rear suspension which is supposed to be better for towing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts