Another towmatch questions 320d estate with Ace Aristocrat

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Firstly, sorry to fill this forum up with another post on my trails and tribulations.

Some dealers seem to be blasÇ (and even reckless) in their advice. When I asked questions on what I can and can't tow, some comments I had on nose weight made be doubt how much stock I could put on their advice.

Hence...I'm back here just to double check a few things, before making the leap.

Van of choice is an Ace Jubilee Aristocrat.

MIRO 1254kg

MTPLM 1460kg

Payload 206kg

Unladen nose weight 50kg

Our car is a 54 BMW 320d estate.

150 bhp

Kerb weight 1580kg.

Max nose weight 75kg.

If we fill the van with the whole 206kg payload allowance, we bring the total weight of the van to 92% of the car's kerb weight.

I struggle to see how we'd would put more than 150kg (no awning) of kit in the van, which would take the weight of the van to 1400kg, giving an 88% match.

What do people think of these numbers and this outfit match?

I've no experience of towing, but I've enquired about the CC towing course and hope to be booked on one for Feb. The van is 7'6" wide and 23'7" long, so it is a bit daunting.

A side point, Swift quote an unladen nose weight of 50kg the car can handle a max nose weight of 75kg, so am I'm right not to be too worried by this?

Thanks for your help, again! Dealers advice is not exactly impartial so I appreciate views and opinions from people that aren't trying to sell me a particular van.

Cheers

Gavin

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gavin,

Easy one first - nose-weight - no problem - just check it is close to 70 kg before you depart with a loaded caravan.

But with regards to your main question, I'll make reference to the German Tempo 100 requirements - which is the ability to tow a caravan at 100 kph (62 mph) rather than be restricted to 80 kph on German autobahns.

One of the seven requirements is that the caravan MTPLM must weigh less than 100% of the car kerb-weight. Others include car ABS, stabiliser coupling, shock-absorbers...

Your choice of caravan at 92% is substantially below the 100% Tempo 100 limit - so intrinsically this well respected set of requirements gives you a thumbs up for UK motorways...

However, poor loading of the caravan or an unfortunate aerodynamic coupling between car and van, could make the towing experience unpleasant. So I'd suggest taking care with packing the van, and also on windy days or when being overtaken until you have accumulated some experience of your combination.

And I'd suggest following one other Tempo 100 requirement - and have shock absorbers fitted to the caravan (or consider it for an early upgrade) - should cost between

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Gavin

Firstly I must emphasise that information about the weights and capacities of cars/caravans from this and other third party forums must be treated as a guide only. You must clarify details about your specific car and caravan with the handbooks or with the dealer or manufacturer.

My sources suggest that the 320D touring has the following limits

In production to 2007

Kerbweight 1580Kg

Maximum trailer weight 1600Kg

Hitch load 75Kg

These figures seem to encompass your proposed caravan.

The quoted unladen nose weight has little relevance, simply because as soon as you add any load to the caravan the nose load will change. As Rob_Jax suggests just keep the nose load almost at the allowed limit.

Do not forget that your pay load will need to include absolutely everything you put in the caravan, including battery and gas bottles, wheel chocks for levelling, electric hook up cable etc. It is easy to over look the contribution that these items make to the overall weight. - even the handle for the corner steadies!

Some UK organisations suggest that the weight ratio should be kept below 85%. It is certainly wise to keep the caravan as light as possible, but good towing is down to more that just a simple ratio. It is important to load the caravan properly to achieve the desired nose load, maintain the mechanicals of the car and the caravan, and of course drive carefully.

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Rob / John - thanks for your reponses.

We'll probably go down the Shock absorbers route and we're definitely booking on the CC towing course.

Apart from forums like this, I not sure where else I should go for impartial advice and practical.

Dealers (who have an interested in selling me a van), tell me I've nothing to worry about with a potential 92% match. Whereas the CC and C&CC stick by the 85% match rule (which rules out a lot or even all of fixed bed 4 berth vans).

Cheers

Gavin

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gavin,

You seem to have everything in hand - towing training is a great idea.

Legally you can tow any trailer up to the maximum specified in your car documentation - which may be more than the kerb-weight and rather less for some vehicles.

The question becomes much more interesting when you realise that most caravans are shaped like big white shoe-boxes - and that compared to a flat bed trailer, they are much more susceptible to side-winds and other aerodynamic forces. Then realise that you have a big empty box you can fill with "stuff" and poor loading becomes an issue.

The answer to what is safe is usually "less than the maximum tow-weight", but how much less? Complying with the Tempo 100 requirements (less than 100%) and following the 85% guideline is a very good bet...

Enjoy. Robert

Jan 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Gavin

Bottom line is if you have not towed before, (we have all been there) take your time!! best tip treat the steering wheel like a tube of toothpaste dont let it squirt!!!!! if she wants to wonder let it!! it will sort it self out!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts