Any advantages of MiFi over a dongle?

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I am trying to find out how a MiFi is set up and how it works and whether it is in general better than using a dongle. We had a Three dongle until recently which had varying results but overall was not bad. Its main use would be for the caravan for the lapto only but with occasional use at home in the event of a power failure.
If you have one and have used it on a few caravan sites, a review would be gratefully recevied. Thanks.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Seems that no one on the PC forum have any idea on Mifi which according to reports is a lot easy to use than a dongle. Oh well...

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
MFI are no longer in business.
smiley-laughing.gif

Do you mean WIFI?
smiley-wink.gif

JP1

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
A "Mi-Fi" device (the name doesn't really stand for anything) works in much the same way as a 3G USB 'dongle' — it lets a computer connect to the internet using the mobile phone 3G network with broadband-like speeds. The difference is that while a 3G dongle only allows one computer to get online at a time*, a Mi-Fi device can be used with several at once.
This is because rather than connect to a computer's USB port, a Mi-Fi device uses its own Wi-Fi network that other Wi-Fi devices connect to — just like a Wi-Fi broadband router you might have at home. This means that one Mi-Fi device can get any combination of PC and Mac laptops, iPhones, iPads and anything else with Wi-Fi online at the same time — although most devices have a five-device limit.
Mi-Fi devices are battery powered, so can be turned on and left in a coat pocket or bag for use as required. They can also be connected to a computer's USB port and used in the same way as a 3G dongle (which will also recharge the battery), although some models disable their Wi-Fi function in this mode.
Mi-Fi devices are most useful if you have more than computer that needs to get online at the same time using 3G — two laptops in a caravan, for example. They're also a good option if you want to save money with gadgets that you'd have to pay more for to get built-in 3G. The iPad and Kindle both have 3G options, for example, but you can use the cheaper Wi-Fi-only models with a Mi-Fi device.
Mi-Fi devices are more expensive than a 3G USB dongle to buy, but they cost the same to use — depending on which provider and tariff you go with, of course. I use a Mi-Fi device with a T-Mobile PAYG 3G SIM — this costs £2 a day, £7 a week or £15 a month — which is a good option if you only want one for occassional 3G use and don't fancy paying a monthly fee.
Hope this helps — let me know if you need anything else.

(* You can share a 3G USB dongle connection on one Window laptop with one or more other laptops, but a Mi-Fi device makes it considerably easier.)

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Alternatively if you have a smart phone [in my case with t mobile] and you pay the £5 a month for unlimited use on monthly contract for internet service, or i believe it is cheaper on PAYG if you pay for six months up front [£20] then if you take your sim card out and if you have a newer LAPTOP /notebook with a place to but your sim card in, you can use the 3g this way to get on-line with you device....
note. i believe that, in the case of the newer t mobile contracts in the last few months, there deals now include this function without paying an extra £5, but the deals are £5 more anyway, so its still the same ish price.And no doubt other phone servers do something similar

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My understanding is that a MiFi unit is basically a battery operated wireless dongle/router. One advantage I have seen suggested is that, because it is wireless, it allows you to position it to get the best signal. Given that campsite are not always in the best place for phone signals positioning the MiFi device high up might improve the signal. Also it would have advantages if you took multiple devices like a laptop and an iPhone both could connect.

David

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
note. I am reliably informed [my son] that a smart phone can be used as a router, so more than one device could be used to connect to the internet.....so have to assume a i phone would do the same thing? as it should not need any external device to connect to the internet itself, and should have the ability to work as a router too.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
to use an iphone a dongle for laptop you are sposed to pay for tethering (£10 a month with Orange) or download Cydia and do it in your allowance.You dont have to connect iphone to laptop with lead so can move it around to get best signal

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I used a vodaphone time unlimited dongle from last dec to this Nov and it was generally very useful, but not fast. Also I had difficulties Sending email unless I used my ISPs website. My son bought me a 3 network, MiFi for my birthday in Nov, unlocked it, and put in my Vodafone dongle sim, this works very well allowing both the laptop and my Itouch to communicate including emails with outlook. Much more convienient than a dongle but I have not used it in the van yet. At home with a good vodafone signal I can easily get 3mb/s.

For those that have not seen a MiFi (mywifi) they look like a small cell phone without any buttons.

Shame you can not buy unlimited sim cards any more but they do seem to honor the old one like mine. I note that they are fetching premium prices on ebay.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts