Any advice over using public weighbridges?

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
As they are privately owned they can charge what they like.

I suggest you contact your local trading standards who can supply you with a full list of weighbridges, so you can ring and check their prices first.

If you`re really lucky they may have a free dynamic axle weigher like the one next to the M62 near Leeds which you just drive over and get the weight without stopping.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
Angus, we have a weighbridge near where we live that is a dynamic axle weigher that is used by the police to check vehicle weights. I have used it for my car but not or the caravan. Any ideas how I could weigh the van? Should I weigh the complete outfit ie drive over scales with van attached to car and get weight and then detach van and weigh car solo then subtract weight?

I wonder if I could just push the van over the scales and it would read OK.

Any ideas?

Graeme.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
I`d do the outfit, then just the car (or t`other way around), which will give you your train weight, and if you subtract the weight of the car you will have the weight of the van, although not perhaps as accurate as some pedants require.

It will at least tell you what your axle loadings are, an important point missed by manychasing the ounces.

as explained elsewhere, if the weight isn`t in the car, it MUST be in the van, it can`t disappear!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We take some of our recycling materials to Smurfit - white paper particularly - they weigh the car in and out for their own admin but print the weights on the docket - the empty weight is my kerbweight although I adjust slightly for fuel.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David - a local quarry a few miles from us will give the weight of the van and the car seperately and all for a couple of pounds. I fill the car with fuel and remove all surplus rubbish etc., and have it weighed. I take the van empty as delivered and have that weighed and then can carry out any calculation I so wish when I get home. The accuracy of the weigh bridge is stated on the ticket as to +/- 10kg.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts