Any Ideas???

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi we have booked a ferry crossing to France for the last two weeks in August, and that is as far as we have got. Any ideas about a destination, for a two week, or two one weeks stay, we have thought about Holand, as have been before and loved it, but not sure.
Would appreciate any ideas. We have previously also been to Italy, Britany, Paris and Luxembourg. We need a family friendly site, preferably with a pool and play area. We dont want to travel too far, as "Are we there yet" from the back seat gets too taxing... lol.
Thanks for any suggestions Julia

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
What about the Loire for 1 week then move somewhere else. Or perhaps chose that for your last week as sites will be less busy. Our favourite in that area is L'Etang de la Breche by Saumur - a Castels site with lovely pool complex and good facilities for children - ours are 11 and 7 - they love the site. Only 4 hours drive from Caen. What port are you sailing to?

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
There are lots of Camping Cheque sites, which accept Camping Cheques (www.campingcheque.co.uk) after 14th August - some very 'family friendly' - and quite a few reasonably near to the Channel Ports - certainly nearer than Italy.
Bois de Bardelet in the Loire takes them from 16th August, indoor and outdoor pools, activities, including trips to Disneyland, Club Lac de Bouzey in the Vosges from 15th August, Lac de Panthier at Vandeness in Burgundy from 16th August.................. and so on. On some sites you'll save only a little, but on many sites you can make quite a saving, particularly if the site offers 7 days for the price of 6, or even 14 days for the price of 11.
I have a spreadsheet of all the Camping Cheques sites which accept them after the 14th August - email me if you'd like a copy.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Living in Germany what else can I do but suggest giving Germany a try? To my mind it's a very underrated holiday destination. If you don't want to drive too far and you're looking for a site with plenty of facilities, especially for children, have a look at Alfsee Campingpark near Osnabrück. Alternatively, there are 2 or 3 similar sites in the Black Forest region. If you're interested I can give you details of them, too, as their websites are not in English

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Adding to Lutz's post I agree Germany is very underated for holiday destination. There are some lovely places to visit that are not too far away the furtherst I would advise for 2 weeks is the Black Forest but it is wonderful. We try to incorparate a visit evey year with the caravan. Another area nearer to Calais is the Ifel, where we stay near to Bitburg with Luxemburg just 20 minutes down the road to visit. Also you can visit the Mosel and the Rhine area's which are excellent holiday destinations. You can visit from near to Bitburg or make a two center holiday with Bitburg and the Rivers or Bitburg or another idea The Black Forest.
As you are going late August with your ACSI Camping Card you can get overnight pitches for 11,13, or 15 euro's per night at 4 or 5 star sites which is nearly half price. Have a look at my website for campsite ideas and places to visit in Germany. You would not regret a visit there Fuel and Food etc lot cheaper than the UK or even France. Address of website in my signature below.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
DianneT said:
Adding to Lutz's post I agree Germany is very underated for holiday destination. .......... You would not regret a visit there Fuel and Food etc lot cheaper than the UK or even France.
I hasten to add that campsites are often cheaper, too, even without vouchers. Stayed at a site right on the banks of the River Rhine last week for only 13 Euros, including EHU.

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi thanks for all your suggestions. We are currently looking at Germany, looks brill. Will let you know once bookings are made.
Thanks again Julia

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
The Black Forrest is well worth a visit.
We stayed at an ACSI site in a place called Bad Bellingham (south of Freiburg).
Public transport is free to tourists (trains & busses). You can get on a train down to Basile in Switzerland or up to Strasbourg in France.
We spent a whole day using the trains & busses to tour round the Black Forrest towns & villages, a day in Basile & a day in Freiburg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts