Anybody switched from a Caravan to a Motorhome?

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
We keep wavering from switching from caravan to a MH.

We thought we'd decided to stick to a caravan (40 years experience) but we found ourselves crawling all over motorhomes at a dealer again this week! We tour both the UK and Europe.

We use to be indecisive but now I'm not sure. :ROFLMAO:

Anybody on here made the switch, did you jump back after regretting?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's what you do off site that should control your decision - if you need to park in busy towns or drive along narrow lanes then a motorhome isn't suitable unless you tow a car behind.

Reactions: JRT

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
It's what you do off site that should control your decision - if you need to park in busy towns or drive along narrow lanes then a motorhome isn't suitable unless you tow a car behind.

Our tendancy is to set up a base and then go off site for the day in the car.

But we have asked about changing this modus operandi, particularly when in Europe where Aires often seem to be located in convenient locations.

Apr 19, 2023
Visit site
After 3 years with a MH we switched to a caravan a year ago. It's about what works for you. We loved the MH but due to mobility issues found we were often very restricted when we got anywhere. With the caravan we have the car, so problem solved.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We started in the late 90s with a caravan and thoroughly enjoyed it although I found towing a little stressful when going to unfamiliar places. Pre Google😉

Then in 2006 we switched to a motorhome and thoroughly enjoyed that and found it a little less stressful than towing but needed careful planning so we could be close to public transport.

Then lifestyle change and we had neither before going back to caravan in 2020.

Would really like one of each but not possible. Both have their pros and cons and it's really down to how you want to enjoy the open road.

With the caravan it was pretty much on a site for a week or so. With the Motorhome we could move on after a day or two if we wanted.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its very much a personal choice, and only you can decide which will suit your style of holidaying best.

For some cost will be the major concern, what can you afford,

For me , caravans tend to offer more space, and becasue the tow vehicle is not tied to the site, you can more easily visit nearby attractions.

If you can only afford one vehicle, having a car will be far more economical and comfortable for day to day driving, but your criteria may be very different.

Apr 20, 2024
Visit site
We went from a Caravan several years ago to a motorhome- had 4 different ones and although we loved the layout of our last one, we are now returning to a caravan. The Aires are great in France and Spain but only good for a night. This country is awful for trying to park in towns and public transport can be a pain, we’ve spent many hours waiting around for buses. We are looking forward to the flexibility having a car will give us and of course we can still use public transport if it’s available. It really is compromises, unless you can afford both.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I know several people that have gone from Motorhome to a caravan, none going the other way
One of my neighbours made the move to The Dark Side, he admitted it felt strange going down hill with a 4500 kg Motorhome. He felt safer with a large tug and Caravan. Saying that he has just changed his MH for a newer one.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
I think we have finally scratched the motorhome itch and put it to bed.

We had a long chat today, weighed up the pros and cons and finally ditched the notion.

We would deffo. need to tow a car, and that for us is the big issue. We couldn't afford a motorhome, car to tow and a car to use day to day. To have a car to tow would mean having something small, which just wouldn't suit day to day, we've been there done that and for us it just doesn't work, in particular in terms of access due to seat height.

Also hitching an A frame to tow and setting up the car to tow is not really that much different to hitching up a caravan, so the 'faff' factor is much the same. Also 'flat towing' in some countries is a contentious issue, not something we want to spend our holiday concerning ourselves with.

There is an attraction in Europe in using Aires but most just don't appeal with lots just being like glorified car parks, yes they are free or very cheap but being so hemmed in just doesn't appeal.

We've been here before but think this time it's final, motorhoming is just not for us.

But thanks for everyone's thoughts. They helped.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Your decision mirrors thoughts that we had over the years, as we tended to visit areas where lanes were narrow and parking limited. A caravan and MH would be the ideal outcome………..in dreams.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
i have been thinking of doing that myself renting one but i have heard it not cheap
Cheaper than buying and finding a MH isn't for you. Also layouts vary considerably, renting even for few days should show what does and doesn't work for you.
Workmate hired one and liked experience but hated different floor levels, were stepping up and down accessing bed and bathroom.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Cheaper than buying and finding a MH isn't for you. Also layouts vary considerably, renting even for few days should show what does and doesn't work for you.
Workmate hired one and liked experience but hated different floor levels, were stepping up and down accessing bed and bathroom.
That the thing i might be worried about my mobility issues getting in might be okay if there a lift .(y)

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
We have had both motorhomes (about 12 years) and caravans (about 8 years)
I could spend 30 minutes convincing you a MH is the only sensible option, and the next half hour convincing you a caravan is the only sensible option :rolleyes:

There are good points and bad points for each, and regardless of which option you choose you will have to compromise on something. S
Same sort of holiday, achieved in different ways.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I went through the same thoughts a couple of years ago and apart from the argument that a motorhome is better suited to very mobile camping whereas the caravan points on longer term stays, what swayed me was the cost comparison. For the same size and similar features, by rule of thumb, a motorhome is about three times as expensive as a caravan and the maintenance and insurance costs are substantially higher, too, so we stayed with a caravan, also because we spend at least two months at one location every year.

TRENDING THREADS