Anyone been to either of these site?

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Any comments from anyone who has visited either of the following sites on the French Atlantic Coast?

1) L'Oree du Bois, close to La Palmyre

2) Le Clos Fleuri, inland from Royan, outside Medis.

Comments on cleanliness, pitch size etc. greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Robert

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Robert

we stayed at L'oree du Bois in 2008 and thought it was a brilliant site, so much so, we've already booked for this summer again. It's set in a forest which means you might not get much sun in the day. We had a pitch with private sanitary which was fantastic. The pitches are a good size, we fit our 6 berth van on without too much trouble. The site is very french which may sound a bit daft but basically it's not full of Brits, its mainly French with Dutch, British and Germans there. The entertainment in the evening is all in french, normally a live band or music. It can get busy and it's all outside. Totally silent after 12pm and it's very well policed. Swimming pools are excellent but you must wear dodgy speedos ! we only found out when we were about to jump in wearing normal trunks, so off to La Palmyre to purchase a (very expensive!!) pair of Speedos !! I would recommend this site, any questions, just shout!

Brian

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Brian,

Thanks for the info. Can you give any advise on route to the site, in particular the final stages to the site. We will be travelling fron Caen. We have visted the area before but any tips on final approach would be appreciated.

Thanks

Robert

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Robert

we are going back that route (St Malo there) and the family on the pitch next to us have used this route for the last 8 years. A10 as far as Saintes. Then N150 to Saujon, then D14. Keep going, go past the left turn for Les Mathes, go past large Netto, Champion supermarket and Citroen dealer. You eventually come to a roundabout where you go left towards Diree. This is the narrowest part of the journey now for a couple of miles. Eventually you will see L'oree Du Bois on your right hand side, turn right here, entrance on the left. It can stack up a bit at the entrance with tourers, but there is an english guy who works there helping with traffic flow. We're back there end of July when the kids break up - Cant wait. If you want any more info, just drop me a line. By the way, use www.maps.google.com and you can plot the route on here, see satellite images and have a general play. Brian

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Brian. I am hoping to confirm booking tomorrow. Better half has decided on the private sanitary facilities, I see you thought highly of them. How private are they? are they locked and key issued to people on the pitch or left unlocked and hope that no one else uses them?

We are going end of June beginning of July, I'll leave a drink behind the bar for you ( just hope none of those Frenchies nick it, lol)

Robert

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Rob-T

L'Oree du Bois accepts Camping Cheques, up until the 10th July.

Booking directly with the site would cost you 24 euros for a pitch with private sanitary facilities, up to 28th June, and 43 euros afterwards. A pitch with Camping Cheques would cost

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi Robert

you get a key for your toilet/shower/sink. Only you can have access to it and its on your pitch. You pay a 20euro deposit which is refundable at the end of your holiday providing it's spotless and I mean spotless ! (basically how you would have found it in the first place). You can also hire a full size domestic fridge which is a great idea to keep drinks really cold. we found that the fridge in the caravan struggled to keep everything cold, especially with all the beer and food for 5! there isnt a lock on the fridge, which is on your pitch, but we never heard of things going walkies. Enjoy your trip and I look forward to the beer ! Cheers, Brian

PS - if you call them to book, they all speak english, especially Cecile or Celine. I called them today to pay the balance of our deposit, so they're there at the moment.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Val A,

Thanks for the tip. I was aware of Camping Cheques but not that this site accepted them into July. Whenever I've looked at them in the past I've found that the sites I was interested in would not take them July and August. I'll have a look now. My understanding of these cheques is that they are only valid for a basic pitch, any extra like hook up or in the case of L'oree du Bois, private facilities needs to be paid for separately on arrival, is that correct?

Brian,

Thanks again. It really is good to get opinions and info from someone who has actually stayed on a site compared to any number of guide book reviews. Your help has been much appreciated.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Robert,

we went to this site back in 2005 and also found it great. The Englishman that Brian said about is called Mo & he owns some static vans (Chez Momo). When we arrived, he rounded up a possee (without being asked) to help push our van onto the pitch as they have a quite restricted access.

The campsite bought some land at the rear of the site some years ago hoping to gain permission to extend, but they were refused permission. Instead, they made a climbing centre called The Indian Forest. This is fantastic for all ages, though you have to be fairly ok with heights. The park is open for everyone but residents of L'Oree Du Bois get cheaper admission.

The private toilets & showers are in a block of 4. They are totally private, but you can hear people in the other 3, so no singing rude songs in the shower !!

I'm sure you'll have a superb time. I'm feeling quite jealous because we're not going away this year due to my firm going on a 4 day week, possibly worse if the parent company in the States goes belly up (GM).

Mark

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Mark,

Thanks for the information. We are all looking forward to going.

Sorry to hear your holidays are in jeopardy due to work problems. Although I believe my job is secure, the way things are going you just never know. Hope things work out for you.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mark,

Thanks for the information. We are all looking forward to going.

Sorry to hear your holidays are in jeopardy due to work problems. Although I believe my job is secure, the way things are going you just never know. Hope things work out for you.

Robert
Hi Rob,

me & the wife have been sulking for weeks about knocking this year's holiday on the head, but we decided what the hell, we'll book anyway. When I finish work at daybreak, I will be ringing Carefree & booking 2 weeks in the Dordogne (La Paille Basse). We've told the kids that things will be tight in the next few months but it'll be worth it when we're sitting in the French sunshine.

All I've got to do now is fight my way through the snow to get home.

Roll on late July.

Mark

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts