ANYONE ELSE GOT TROUBLE WITH A STERLING ECCLES AMBER

Feb 12, 2006
Visit site
HI,ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE HAVING TROUBLE WITH A STERLING ECCLES AMBER BED DESIGN??.

WE HAVE HAD OUR VAN FROM NEW FROM GRANTHAM CARAVANS AND EACH TIME WE HAVE USED IT THE BED FIXTURE COMES AWAY FROM THE SIDE WALL AND THE SUPPORTS HAVE SLIT OR COME UNSCREWED, AFTER SEVERAL ATTEMPTS TO FIX IT GRANTHAM CARAVANS NOW SAY ITS A DESIGN FAULT AND THAT WE SHOULD HEAR SOON FROM STERLING - BUT AS YET WE HABE HEARD NOTHING. OUR VAN IS STILL UNDER WARENTITY ANS HAS BEEN LITTLE USED DUE TO ME HAVING HAD TWO HIPS REPLACED IN THE LAST 18MONTHS. I SEE THE AMBER IS NOLONMGER LISTED IN PRACTICAL CARAVANS STERLING DETAILS SO WONDER IF ITS BEEN DISCONTINUED.

ANY IDEAS OR SIMALAR PROBLEMS OUT THERE??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Katherine,

One of the cross braces on our Amber's bed snapped, think I knelt on a knot in the wood, I replaced it with a much sturdier piece rather than put it in for repair. I've also found screws missing where the framework fastens to the floor and the dresser, and the front vertical support was only held in by staples that easily came out, now held together with screws. Shocking isn't it given the amount they cost, however we have had ours 3 years now and love the caravan and it's layout.

Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Is this the L shape layout like my 2002 Abbey gts 417? If so is it the peice of timber under the window that supports the bed runner which keeps failing? Yes they are a pile of poo I had mine mended twice. then we never used the bed as a double.Sold the van Aug 2004 Got a Bailey Senator now much more solid van. G S

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Kathrine CONGRATULATIONS .At last someone with the courage to name and shame a caravan maker and dealer for selling a product that is faulty .I hope the publicity given to them on this forum will be noted by any prospective buyers Have you thought of reporting the dealer to the trading standards office??

I would also visit his sales room on a Saturday and ccomplain loudly of your treatment.Good luck in resolving your problem .If all else fails a joiner or skilled DIY man should be able to cure you problem Coljac

Feb 14, 2006
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the problems you are having. We have the same van and have had not trouble yest. Only had it for 6 months and not done may trips yet. We love the van and its layout. Hope you get it sorted, but I am going to check mine out

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Other toys mean and limited time to use our van has led us to always buying second hand.

A few minor irritations similiar to your problem have been solved by using glues or modern bonding agent such as Sikaflex 221.

I've removed untreated wood and sealed it with good varnish and then bonded supports to the inner panels. The scews can be removed and the bits still stay firm!

Under guarantee this should not be an option, but for long term users with a problem it is worth doing.

Have to say though that our present Bailey Senator has thrown up no signs of need of this kind of action!

Feb 12, 2006
Visit site
HI,I HOPE YOU HAVE NO TROUBLE WITH YOUR VAN BUT MY DEALER HAS NOW SAID THAT ITS A DESIGN FAULT AND THAT STERLING ARE WORKING ON A SOLUTION,ALSO AFTER THE TROUBLE WITH OURS WE CHECKED A BRAND NEW VAN WITH THE SAME LAYOUT AND GUESS WHAT THIS UNUSED VAN HAD THE SAME TROUBLE - BED SUPPORTS HANDING OFF THE VAN WALL.I WILL LET THE FORUM KNOW MY OUTCOME.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts