Anyone experienced this before please?

Oct 19, 2007
Visit site
We parked on EHU last weekend and plugged in as usual. The next day I noticed the butter was a bit soft and I opened the freezer compartment to find it was not cold at all. I put the fridge onto gas and low and behold the freezer sprang back into life and the fridge went cold. Went back onto EHU again and the fridge stayed cold as did the freezer. I'm glad its OK but am just wondering what could have caused this in case it happens in the future?

G

If its a hot day your better off kicking off on gas for half hour or so.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
I wonder if the selector switch on the fride might be a bit sticky, so when it was supposed to be on mains it was not actually taking any power.

Just a thought.

Graeme.

Oct 2, 2005
Visit site
Had you had a long journey before setting up? Same thing happened to us a couple of years ago and all the things in the freezer defrosted, but we had travelled from up north down to Cornwall. We were pretty new to caravaning then and never gave it a thought when packing the fridge and freezer before setting off. We decided the fridge must be faulty until we sat and thought about it. We turned onto the gas like you, and once cold enough it was ok. Lesson learned!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Timbo, just wondered whether you have unclipped your external winter vents that cover the normal summer ones, been down to Kent for the past 10 really hot days no problem with electrics

Royston

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We generally plug the van into the mains electric whilst on the drive a few days before we leave home. The fridge is set for cooling on the mains and is at proper working temperature for when we set off. We also have a few ice packs ready for the journey which we put in the fridge in case the car battery does not cope on the journey. Better to awe on the side of caution and have a cool fridge and fresh food on arrival on site.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I made a very silly mistake last August when I plugged the electrics in on our drive prior to setting off for a break without hook up being available for 4 days.

I switched on the fridge to cool it before we set off with the intention of switching to gas when we arrived on site. We don't have a 12 s grey socket on our towcar but I reasoned that the fridge would still be cool when we arrived.

Unfortunately when I disconnected our home ehu before starting out I completely forgot to switch off the fridge.

The fridge that is fitted to our caravan when switched on 'finds' the best available power source and when I switched off the 240v it switched itself to battery because the gas was disconnected prior to towing.

When we arrived the fridge was cold but the caravan battery was completely and absolutely flat and we had to buy a new leisure battery.

I always double check that I've switched off the fridge before I tow now.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The car wiring should be such that the fridge only draws cooling 12 V when the car ignition is on

It should not be drawing from the leisure battery

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The fridge draws no current from the car because we haven't got a grey plug.

What I think happened is that the fridge drew current from the leisure battery via the caravan 12v system because I had not switched off the fridge and I'm not sure but I might have left the caravan 12v system switched on.

The fridge is one of the 'smart' models which draws power from the best available source.

This has never happened since because I make absolutely certain that everything is switched off now.

In my defence we had only had the caravan for a very short time and I hadn't fully read or understood the instructions for the fridge.

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
We, also have a fridge which searches for a alternative supply which are Mains Elect/Gas/Battery. when the selected power supply fails. We always set the fridge on mains, and things are Ok if the the mains power is not interrupted. No indication is give that the gas has taken over, or the battery if the gas is isolated.

Sheila

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If your fridge has a digital display when it is initially switched on three icons representing 12v gas and 240v appear and by using the button you select the power source. If an interruption in the 240v happens the only indication would be that the icon had changed to the next available power source.

The blue led flashes if the power is disconnected.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
The fridge draws no current from the car because we haven't got a grey plug.

What I think happened is that the fridge drew current from the leisure battery via the caravan 12v system because I had not switched off the fridge and I'm not sure but I might have left the caravan 12v system switched on.

The fridge is one of the 'smart' models which draws power from the best available source.

This has never happened since because I make absolutely certain that everything is switched off now.

In my defence we had only had the caravan for a very short time and I hadn't fully read or understood the instructions for the fridge.
Obviously not a smart fridge! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts