Applying handbrake on car

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Belt and braces approach for me. If the handbrake is fitted, why not use it.

Would you beleive anything any of them state after the emissions scandals. Plus you only have to look at the vast number of recalls issued to know that their best laid plans and designs dont always work as they should.
I suspect the fitting of a parking brake or a means of preventing the vehicle from rolling when stopped is a more down to construction and use regulations, than the desire of a manufacturer to have complicated things like hand brakes.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I wouldnt say a handbrake and its mechanism was a complex item Prof. To add to its use, its not unheard of for cars to jump out of gear. And in the case of failure or problems with brakes, the hand brake is a handy thing to have.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
My XC60 auto will allow you to turn off the engine with the car in Neutral, but you have to press the Start button twice to confirm your action; the car will then chime continually with drivers door open in this state.

You can move the shifter between N, D & R with the engine off (handy for cleaning the gaiter) but will lock in Park if you move to P.
P on the XC40 is a button...

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Belt and braces approach for me. If the handbrake is fitted, why not use it.

Would you beleive anything any of them state after the emissions scandals. Plus you only have to look at the vast number of recalls issued to know that their best laid plans and designs dont always work as they should.

yes there have been lots of problems with early systems.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I suspect the fitting of a parking brake or a means of preventing the vehicle from rolling when stopped is a more down to construction and use regulations, than the desire of a manufacturer to have complicated things like hand brakes.

The move to the more complicated auto parking brake was partly due to the ineffectiveness of the old mechanical handbrake.

The cable stretching was common, and the failure of my Mazda cx-5 to hold on a test hill was the reason given for it not getting an award in 2013, while the 2015 car i had came with an electric handbrake and was given an award...

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
I wouldnt say a handbrake and its mechanism was a complex item Prof. To add to its use, its not unheard of for cars to jump out of gear. And in the case of failure or problems with brakes, the hand brake is a handy thing to have.
Ask the Wife!
Many a times with mechanical handbrakes she would wrestle with it especially on hill starts.
Once we went electric handbrake/hill hold no going back!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts