Ardeche Gorge

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
I am looking to visit the Ardeche region. I have heard towing around there can be a bit tricky. Can anyone suggest Areas in the region I can get to without too many steep climbs and hairpin bends. I'm quite happy to day trip into main attractions.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Go down through Lyon. The roads are ok this way. Use via michellin web site as a route finder you'll be ok. Do not travel west towards the A75 and Clermont Ferrand via the N102, its quite a steep climb and what ever happens avoid towing your van through the gorge along the D290, especially around the Pont-du-Arch area.

Mike

Aug 16, 2005
Visit site
This year we stopped at a Camsite called "Le Chambourlas" (chambourlas.com). We actually ended up their because I left the booking to late and could not get anything near Pont D'Arc. On the downside it was a hour from the gourge, but the only mountain bit of driving was the last climb up from Previs, and that was not to tricky. The campsite it's self was small but very nice, mainly occupied by the Dutch (because it is owned by a Dutchman). Might be worth a look...

Paul

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There's no problem getting to the Ardeche. If you go down the Rhone Valley (either on the autoroute or on the N road) take the road to Aubenas (south of the one which goes through Privas) - I think turn off at La Voulte (sorry haven't got my map handy). This is an easy road, no hairpins, no surprises, then before Aubenas take the road to Vallon Pont D'Arc. There are some super sites in the Ardeche which are very easily accessible: Vallon Pont D'Arc has a choice and you can walk into town, Domaine de La Bastide at Sampzon is super, and we like Ranc D'Avaine at St Alban Auriolles. These are all busy sites, but there are smaller and less commercial sites, too. Check out the Alan Rogers guide, or use the green Michelin site guide which is available in most libraries. Have a great time - we're going back there on Friday, can't wait!!!!

Aug 16, 2005
Visit site
There's no problem getting to the Ardeche. If you go down the Rhone Valley (either on the autoroute or on the N road) take the road to Aubenas (south of the one which goes through Privas) - I think turn off at La Voulte (sorry haven't got my map handy). This is an easy road, no hairpins, no surprises, then before Aubenas take the road to Vallon Pont D'Arc. There are some super sites in the Ardeche which are very easily accessible: Vallon Pont D'Arc has a choice and you can walk into town, Domaine de La Bastide at Sampzon is super, and we like Ranc D'Avaine at St Alban Auriolles. These are all busy sites, but there are smaller and less commercial sites, too. Check out the Alan Rogers guide, or use the green Michelin site guide which is available in most libraries. Have a great time - we're going back there on Friday, can't wait!!!!
I have to agree with you Val, Ranc D'Avaine is a perfect site. We think that it is just the right size, the facilities are second to none and the entertainment is exactly that (entertaining)!

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Thanks folks, these have been a real help

Rob

Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
If your chosen site has access to one of the beautiful, fast running rivers of the area, check very carefully before diving.

We arrived at one site to find an air of gloom and a pelaton of Gendarmes. Within one week, two youngsters had dived into the deceptive waters, struck the sharp rocks and died instantly.

Don't be put off, just be careful.

Jan 12, 2006
Visit site
Go down through Lyon. The roads are ok this way. Use via michellin web site as a route finder you'll be ok. Do not travel west towards the A75 and Clermont Ferrand via the N102, its quite a steep climb and what ever happens avoid towing your van through the gorge along the D290, especially around the Pont-du-Arch area.

Mike
Mike

Would you recommend the N304 at all between Le Pouzin & Aubenas

Mike P

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts