Are all UK Tracing Apps comptable with each other?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I donā€™t buy the ā€œjust too difficultā€ argument. I think it is ā€œ just not cost effective when we build in ridiculously short obsolescence into our systems in order to make people buy a new phone every 2 years at God only knows what cost to the planetā€.
This is what happens when you throw your lot in with companies whose sole objective is to make money, and are happy to disguise it as public spirited pulling together.
Sorry, I appear to be still ranting.
mel

• Love
Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I donā€™t buy the ā€œjust too difficultā€ argument. I think it is ā€œ just not cost effective when we build in ridiculously short obsolescence into our systems in order to make people buy a new phone every 2 years at God only knows what cost to the planetā€.
This is what happens when you throw your lot in with companies whose sole objective is to make money, and are happy to disguise it as public spirited pulling together.
Sorry, I appear to be still ranting.
mel
Steady, Lady Mel, I darn't try and fit that onto Elaine's knokia 3310. The battery would give up and she would not be able to play Snakes. I will just go,to our local pub as always and dare anyone sit in "Old Kens "bar stool, God bless him, passed away 1994. The Barmaid looks new in her face mask now though. Good Tracey.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
On my present iPhone SE (old version) I was surprised that Bluetooth seemed to keep coming on but eventually found that the software and processors only require much lower power levels such that it did not unduly drain the battery like my previous phones would have done.

I downloaded the app tonight. First to my iPhone 7 Plus. Then to her SE like yours. Which I have always thought of as a version an iPhone 5. Both phones have up to date iOS.

It went fine onto both, but mine does a fancy green blob going in then out. Hers does not. Wow.

Compatibility doesnā€™t matter to me. Tried to download it but it needs IOS 13 or better. My iPhone 6 which I have only had from new for 2 and a half years only runs on IOS 12.something. Hence no good. Clearly not the case that ā€œ anyone with a smartphone can download itā€
I donā€™t change my phone every year when I have a perfectly good phone!! Better for my pocket, better for the planet.
What I would like to know is what percentage of the population has a phone running on IOS 13 or above.
If any of you lovely tech savvy people can tell me how to upgrade my IOS to 13 ( the phone is fully updated); I will stop ranting.
mel

For the reasons outlined above I donā€™t understand why your iPhone 6. Is not compatible. Is it just that the iOS has not been updated?

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
John,
As far as I can ascertain my IPhone 6 only goes up to IOS 12. I need the next IOS but that is not compatible with my six year old phone.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
John,
As far as I can ascertain my IPhone 6 only goes up to IOS 12. I need the next IOS but that is not compatible with my six year old phone.

I suggested that it might, as my wifeā€™s SE 1st edition I thought was based on the iPhone 5. And that takes the latest iOS. But very likely my information is wrong.

John

PS

I just looked at this comparison. It would seem that the SE 1st edition only has the physical size of the iPhone 5 but is more on a par with the iPhone 6s.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
It does seem flawed but if these were the best that could be obtained then we have to live with it although i think Apple and Google could have managed to get it to work on some older phones. I did replace my phone last year due to problems with the old one so can get the app, but I doubt anyone is going to replace an old phone just to get it.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
For the reasons outlined above I donā€™t understand why your iPhone 6. Is not compatible. Is it just that the iOS has not been updated?

John

Hi John, the maximum update for an iPhone 6 is to an IOS of 12.something. Apparently a 6S will go to 13.5, but I donā€™t have one of them. So no app for me.
šŸ™
mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi John, the maximum update for an iPhone 6 is to an IOS of 12.something. Apparently a 6S will go to 13.5, but I donā€™t have one of them. So no app for me.
šŸ™
mel
I know it may be academic but IPhone 6S and IPhone SE(older model nit current) will update to IOS14. We have one of each and they are now at IOS 14

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I know it may be academic but IPhone 6S and IPhone SE(older model nit current) will update to IOS14. We have one of each and they are now at IOS 14
True but the original I phone 6 is rubbish. Stops at IOS 12. But SWMBO Samsung Galaxy Note , three years older , updates!! Shame on apple

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
True but the original I phone 6 is rubbish. Stops at IOS 12. But SWMBO Samsung Galaxy Note , three years older , updates!! Shame on apple
A few years ago I was disappointed with Apple as I felt trapped. So I bought a Microsoft Windows phone and a Windows laptop. I thought the features of the phone were well ahead of Apple plus the integration between phone and laptop again was seamless and excellent. I was on the verge of selling the Mac and getting a Windows PC. Then disaster struck. Microsoft Windows decided to stop producing phones. Do that was that. I considered the Google phone but that was too expensive but did have the advantage of quick release of Google updates and less front end junk. So itā€™s still Apple Iā€™m afraid but as long as the kids and grandkids keep giving us ā€œ mates ratesā€ thereā€™s no incentive to move.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
A few years ago I was disappointed with Apple as I felt trapped. So I bought a Microsoft Windows phone and a Windows laptop. I thought the features of the phone were well ahead of Apple plus the integration between phone and laptop again was seamless and excellent. I was on the verge of selling the Mac and getting a Windows PC. Then disaster struck. Microsoft Windows decided to stop producing phones. Do that was that. I considered the Google phone but that was too expensive but did have the advantage of quick release of Google updates and less front end junk. So itā€™s still Apple Iā€™m afraid but as long as the kids and grandkids keep giving us ā€œ mates ratesā€ thereā€™s no incentive to move.

Bet you had a Betamax!

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Bet you had a Betamax!

John
Unfortunately not as they had stopped production by the time we decided that we couldnā€™t live without a video recorder. Most of our viewing comes off of the recorder to counter the frequent phone calls in the evenings. Big advantage is that we skip through any adverts on commercial channels.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
According to todays report the old app that was discontinued had more phone models compatabilty than the current one. If that's not fake news :)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Front page of todayā€™s Daily Telegraph was dedicated to the QR code for those lucky ones with newish mobilesšŸ˜„šŸ˜„šŸ˜„

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just to add I do not see any point of the tracing app as after all you can meet up with different households in the pub or on campsite. Not even sure why they have the 10pm closing time?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Just to add I do not see any point of the tracing app as after all you can meet up with different households in the pub or on campsite. Not even sure why they have the 10pm closing time?

Not though if the app has reported Back to you that you have been in close proximity to someone who has subsequently been tested as positive.

Or it might be that they have just reported that they have symptoms.

Does anyone know which it is?

It does make me wonder if you got a ā€˜trouble makerā€™ who reported symptoms just for the hell of it, so I hope people only have to isolate after a positive test, but then if they canā€™t get a test we have a problem.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not though if the app has reported Back to you that you have been in close proximity to someone who has subsequently been tested as positive.

It does make me wonder if you got a ā€˜trouble makerā€™ who reported symptoms just for the hell of it, so I hope people only have to isolate after a positive test, but then if they canā€™t get a test we have a problem.

John
Best to read the NHS website which gives the details you seek. The answers are there.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

John
I have an appointment for a test on Sunday at our local hospital pre-op. Currently I am not displaying any Covid19 symptoms, but it makes you wonder why they don't also test OH at the same time? We have avoided close contact with people for the past 7 days however on monday and again yesterday our elderly neighbour who cannot drive due to an eye issue asked my wife if she could take him to the hospital for an appointment. How can you refuse? Unfortunately from today we are in very strict lockdown until 14th Oct and can see no one not even with a mask.
Both wife and neighbour wore a mask in the vehicle however he did not cover his nose? Also when in Sainsbury's last week, the chap managing the auto tills also had his only covering his mouth and not his nose? Yesterday at hospital the security guard insisted we had to remove our masks and fit the ones supplied by the hospital and they really stink! However he was quite happy to have just his mouth covered and not his nose! Why don't people want to cover their nose as surely they breathe in and out through their nose?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have an appointment for a test on Sunday at our local hospital pre-op. Currently I am not displaying any Covid19 symptoms, but it makes you wonder why they don't also test OH at the same time? We have avoided close contact with people for the past 7 days however on monday and again yesterday our elderly neighbour who cannot drive due to an eye issue asked my wife if she could take him to the hospital for an appointment. How can you refuse? Unfortunately from today we are in very strict lockdown until 14th Oct and can see no one not even with a mask.
Both wife and neighbour wore a mask in the vehicle however he did not cover his nose? Also when in Sainsbury's last week, the chap managing the auto tills also had his only covering his mouth and not his nose? Yesterday at hospital the security guard insisted we had to remove our masks and fit the ones supplied by the hospital and they really stink! However he was quite happy to have just his mouth covered and not his nose! Why don't people want to cover their nose as surely they breathe in and out through their nose?
Youre right they should be covering the nose too. I have a dilemma in that when covering my nose my specs mist up despite following the advice to prevent misting. Iā€™ve tried a number of mask types to no avail. So itā€™s covered up and canā€™t read. Also Iā€™ve stopped wearing hearing aids as aids plus specs plus mask donā€™t all fit harmoniously behind my ears. So itā€™s reduced hearing, occasional good sight but nose covered. Roll on vaccinations days. šŸ˜‚

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Youre right they should be covering the nose too. I have a dilemma in that when covering my nose my specs mist up despite following the advice to prevent misting. Iā€™ve tried a number of mask types to no avail. So itā€™s covered up and canā€™t read. Also Iā€™ve stopped wearing hearing aids as aids plus specs plus mask donā€™t all fit harmoniously behind my ears. So itā€™s reduced hearing, occasional good sight but nose covered. Roll on vaccinations days. šŸ˜‚
I have found by having the mask as high up as possible over my face almost touching my bottom eyelid and having my glasses on top of the mask stops the misting. Also stopped using my hearing aid as the two do not go well together. LOL!

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Best to read the NHS website which gives the details you seek. The answers are there.

I did read the instructions/advice that come with the app and I don't remember that it answered my question. However, I have now taken your advice and stopped being so lazy and looked it up for myself. The answer appears to be only when you have been in proximity of someone who has tested positive. Which makes sense. However it stops short of explaining distance and duration.

I might add that the 'NHS app' term is most confusing as there are not 1 but 2.

1 The NHS covid19 app we are discussing here.

2 The NHS app. This is new and I was directed to it in order to complete an electronic referral form for my wife called 'eConsult'. This took most of the morning as the security is massive. email conformation as well as passport photo check. It does give you access to your records. But the again, new app which referred me to the NHS app 'AIRMID' also gave me that access. Furthermore, we ere referred to the airmid app by its processor 'SYMTOMS ON LINE' which we have been using for a few years. My friend, who is chair of the patient advisory committee says the surgery want to keep the system on line' open, and they don't consider it to be extinct.

So 3 ways of doing almost the same thing. Is this progress, I really don't think so.

To add. Once registered with the NHS app we could complete eConsult form. This is similar to the 111 questions which drive you wild as they never seem to let you get to the point.

On the plus side, someone from the surgery contacted us within 20 mins.

Simplicity should always be the key to such things. Also, the writers should always have their systems checked for usability by the end users.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts