are mondeos any good for towing

Sep 28, 2006
Visit site
hi im thinking of changing my present car for a mondeo 2.0tdci i tow a eldiss typhoon gtx kerbweight of 1400kgs my present car is a vectra sri 2.2dti 53 plate and this seems a bit to light we have been caravaning for about 3 years now and dont rush any ware many thanks for your help mike

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
michael, we towed with a mondeo tdci 2ltr, best car we towed with in 6 years and 4 different cars. we now have a 4X4 and proberbly not any better than the mondeo exept for the weight adavantage.

Id have another one anytime

Kevin H

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
michael,

the mondeo 2ltr tdci is indeed an excellent tug I am now on my second one and cannot fault it BUT, I only tow 1300 kg max.

if your 'van is 1400kg kerbweight by the time it is loaded you will probably be well over 100% match which is not recomended as the mondeo hatch is just under 1500kg kerbweight.

Now I do not pretend to know it all but I am sure some other members of the forum will be able to tell you why.

good luck

Will

Sep 28, 2006
Visit site
michael,

the mondeo 2ltr tdci is indeed an excellent tug I am now on my second one and cannot fault it BUT, I only tow 1300 kg max.

if your 'van is 1400kg kerbweight by the time it is loaded you will probably be well over 100% match which is not recomended as the mondeo hatch is just under 1500kg kerbweight.

Now I do not pretend to know it all but I am sure some other members of the forum will be able to tell you why.

good luck

Will
many thanks we do not put anything in the caravan to put more weight in the only things inside are the bedding 2sleeping bags and the 2water containers and 2 light weight chairs the awnning always goes in the back of the car as does all the clothes and accessories many thanks for replying

Aug 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi Michael

We had a mondeo 2.0tdci estate ghia x up until a year ago. The weight of it was 1604kgs and we towed our caravan fully laden at 1400kgs. It towed it with ease and was one of the best tow cars I have had. It had self levelling suspension which helped. The only thing is it is front wheel drive and doesn't like the wet grass. I now have a twin axle, so have a 4x4. I do miss the fuel economy of the mondeo, 37 mpg towing. Regards Mark

Sep 29, 2006
Visit site
Hi Michael,

I tow a 1992 Elddis Hurricane with a six years old Mondeo 1.8 (petrol)and find it excellent.

Rob S.
Hi Michael,

Just changed my 2.0TDCI 140 and it was a delight to drive solo or towing. Have changed for a 4x4 because I was worried about damaging my rear suspension. My understanding is that max towball weight is 75 kilos and if you van was fully loaded times 7% (Caravan Club figure) your nose weight would be 98 kilos. Caravan club said to me not to worry upto 10 kilos over. My van is 1352 kilos loaded - Abbey 320 Aventura.

Hope you can sort out your loading as it is a brilliat car.

George Mc

Sep 28, 2005
Visit site
We have a Mondeo TDCi 130bhp after changing from a Vectra (of which the fuel consumption was absolutely appalling!)and it was one of the best decisions we ever made! Kerbweight of our Mondeo=1505, MTPLM of our caravan=1405 to which we never load anywhere near. We get up to 61mpg solo and 33mpg towing. The only thing a 4x4 has over the Mondeo, of course in my opinion only, is the weight.

Hope this helps your decision.

Sep 28, 2006
Visit site
many thanks now i feel more at ease knowing it would pull the van thanks to all for the advice really appreciate all the good advice many thanks to all

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts