Are there different types/sizes of ALKO hitchlocks depending on the make of caravan ?

May 19, 2021
Visit site
Hello all, sorry to be a nuisance but we need a hitchlock for our caravan. It has an ALKO stabiliser on it and I just want to know do the ALKO hitchlocks come in different sizes depending on your caravan or is it a one size fits all ?
Thanks, Bernarde.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The locks are Al-ko hitch model, not caravan specific. This really cuts it down to very few though the models changed, but slowly.

A picture or even just the model number taken off the side of the coupling, should get you sorted.

Al-Ko offer their own, but there are many aftermarket hitch locks to choose from. Your insurer could have specific requirements, if that issue is involved.

Reactions: Bard Rooney
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have no faith in hitch locks. Thieves come prepared in many cases and will just use a chain or strong rope to fasten a caravan to the towing vehicle and they are away and can deal with the hitch lock later. Hitch locks are made by various companies to fit and the packaging will show what fits yours. Frankly I would just use the cheapest that the insurer will accept.

May 19, 2021
Visit site
The locks are Al-ko hitch model, not caravan specific. This really cuts it down to very few though the models changed, but slowly.

A picture or even just the model number taken off the side of the coupling, should get you sorted.

Al-Ko offer their own, but there are many aftermarket hitch locks to choose from. Your insurer could have specific requirements, if that issue is involved.
Thanks for the advice, and yes our insurer has specified an Alko lock, Bernarde.

May 19, 2021
Visit site
I have no faith in hitch locks. Thieves come prepared in many cases and will just use a chain or strong rope to fasten a caravan to the towing vehicle and they are away and can deal with the hitch lock later. Hitch locks are made by various companies to fit and the packaging will show what fits yours. Frankly I would just use the cheapest that the insurer will accept.
Gosh that‘s outrageous isn’t it !! I believe the insurers have specified Alko so that’s what we have to run with, Bernarde.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Wow what a put down. However the ALKO Premium still still take a lot of doing to remove and hopefully they will move onto an easier target. We also have the two ALKO wheel locks, a Proactive tracker and use a CASSOA Gold storage location. Why make it easy for them? :)

Reactions: Bard Rooney

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The design of the AlKo hitch lock means that it can be used whilst the caravan is hitched to the towing vehicle.
Leaving the hitchlock in situ during towing is strongly discouraged by the emergency services however, because of the time taken to remove it without keys in case of an emergency.
If you really must leave your caravan for a toilet or refreshment break it only takes a minute or two to deploy your hitchlock and wheel clamp.
The best security is never to leave the caravan on motorway services unattended though.
If the insurance policy stipulates an Alko hitchlock, they are one size and your insurance T&Cs will be honoured.
As is always stated, if caravan thieves really want your caravan, they will use means to defeat most security measures, so good insurance is key and good security may discourage casual caravan theft.

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
I thought my van was pretty well protected with decent locks. Speaking to others, they reckon it took the thieves less than 10 seconds to remove this ALKO lock. Next time I will get the new version because this one was a waste of time.

Attachments

• A42767C2-1BE3-464D-AF35-F7EB21894129.jpeg
    A42767C2-1BE3-464D-AF35-F7EB21894129.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I thought my van was pretty well protected with decent locks. Speaking to others, they reckon it took the thieves less than 10 seconds to remove this ALKO lock. Next time I will get the new version because this one was a waste of time.
I think your wasting your money, A skilled thief with an angle grinder/cutter will make quick work of any hitch lock. Normally it is a chain around the hitch, or a yoke around the A frame. And they are away. Your just covering the insurance and thats it.

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
There is certainly an element of just complying with insurance requirements, but undoubtedly the newer version looks significantly better.
this was removed with a I assume a large crowbar.
Unfortunately battery operated tools are readily available nowadays, giving the thieves an easier time of it.
You just need to try and make your van less easy to steal than others on the storage yard.

I do struggle a bit to understand the fitting of alarms and trackers in the current manner. For not much effort these could be made a little more difficult to find and significantly more difficult to remove Or render inoperable

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There is certainly an element of just complying with insurance requirements, but undoubtedly the newer version looks significantly better.
this was removed with a I assume a large crowbar.
Unfortunately battery operated tools are readily available nowadays, giving the thieves an easier time of it.
You just need to try and make your van less easy to steal than others on the storage yard.

I do struggle a bit to understand the fitting of alarms and trackers in the current manner. For not much effort these could be made a little more difficult to find and significantly more difficult to remove Or render inoperable

Our proactive tracker was fitted at our cost so not in the standard manufacturer's location. The original reactive tracker is still fitted and they will probably find that first and not look for another one however the proactive one would have alerted us anyway when they interfered with the caravan..

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you find the ALKO is specified then you have to se it. If you are unhappy with that then check out other firms as most are less stringent and ours does not require one at all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts